Cape York in October?

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 18:16
ThreadID: 109598 Views:2573 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi community,
I am in Cairns at the moment and once I have solved my mechanical problems
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/109597/Cairns_mechanichelp_needed.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d1
I would love to visit Cape York with my Nissan Patrol. Unfortunately its already end of September and a mate of mine who would like to come along wouldnt be able to join before 18th of October. I was actually planning to take 3 weeks up there and now waiting 3 weeks for him only makes sense if its not an issue with weather etc.

Thus I have to think if it is even possible to go or rather if its possible to wait for him.

From my research I figured out that end of September the build-up with thunderstorms and heat starts around Cape York, but the real wet season normally doesn't start before mid November - is that correct? I am aware that wet season can come early/late but I am talking general averages :-)

Has anyone been up Cape York recently or has a lot of experience? Would there be anything hindering the drive up there? I heard corrugations are extremly bad at the end of dry season, heat and humidity killing, lots of moscitos and flies and if wet season comes in you need to drive out as fast as possible - is it really that bad?

Cheers

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 18:42

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 18:42
If your not used to humidity and heat then yes...it can be bad. Many southeners also get belted by midgies. Mozzies can be a problem too. However a few cans of bushman, long sleeved cotton shirts and light trousers can help these buggers from ruining your holiday. The weather where your going is only slightly warmer than Cairns. The humidity is only starting to arrive here in Cairns as you are probably aware. Nights are getting warmer too. I,d have no problem heading up to the cape in Mid November. Most rains don't hit till mid December. Mate just came back a week ago and said that traffic was quietening down and there were some corrugations. He had no issues and loved it. Creeks are not raging so keeping to the main road you should have a good time. Just beaware that rain can be heavy, so set up camp accordingly. Even big rains will subside in a day or 2.

cheers
AnswerID: 539447

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 19:37

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014 at 19:37
hi Philipp

I'm sure you'll get more good advice like the above and I'm sure a report would be appreciated when you return. Unfortunately I can't offer any real help.

Enjoy the trip.

cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 539451

Reply By: Colcam42 - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:54

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:54
Hi Phillipp, we are at Cooktown at the moment and there are plenty of people still coming back from the Cape, towing campers. Some saying it was easy, (but they were usually with at least one other vehicle). I was looking for a trip up there not wanting to go on our own from Cairns and found that most tours end in October, so now think that a separate trip, earlier in the year might well be better.
Also drove down to Bloomfield Falls yesterday and was surprised at the number of fourbys that were arriving from down south, from Cape Tribulation, so plenty of people still travelling and it might well be possible to tag along with others for safety, security and company.
At least you could come up to here via Bloomfield track to get acclimatised so to speak, and then chat to many of the campers here in the BIG4 CP.
Cheers, Col and Vicki,
AnswerID: 539480

Reply By: harry & the hobbit - Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 14:19

Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 at 14:19
Hi Philipp,
We went up there for first time in 2011 from approx. late Sept. to Mid October. Best time to go, no crowds, no traffic. We had places like Fruit Bat falls, Eliot Falls, the OTT and the Tip to ourselves. Heat and humidity fine even for we southerners. There are always flies, midgies, mozzies out there , you learn to cope. Go.
Regards Robert
AnswerID: 539509

Reply By: PGU - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 08:30

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 08:30
Thanks for all your advices
AnswerID: 539578

Sponsored Links