Little desert this weekend!

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:54
ThreadID: 10963 Views:2239 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to Little desert this weekend. It won't be full on thing for sure, just for couple of hours or overnighter, just to catch a bit of 4WD camping life and to meet some people. I'm new to all this, so basically I don't have a clue what to expect so I have a couple of questions.

Is everyone camping in a group at one spot? If that is the case, where is the camp area. What are day/evening activities? I've searched previous topics but no much luck on my questions.

I'll be going from Melbourne, Saturday arvo, or Sunday morning.
If you see black terrano wondering around little desert area looking tottaly lost, THAT WOULD BE ME!!!!When I grow up, I want to be PATROL TDI - Dragan's Terrano

TAR SUCKS!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:16

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:16
G'day Dragan, There are two main camp sites. The softies will be in the Dimboola Caravan Park (just stirring) and the others will mainly be at Horseshoe bend. Glenn is the main man but it will be fairly laid back with a bit of driving and a lot of tall stories. Sat. night will probably be a get together for a BBQ . Could be at either place. If your staying at the Carapark, you will need to ring and book in with the Exploroz group.
Look forward to catching up with you.
Don't feel intimidated by them all, it's my first trip with them too.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
Than be stuck here in this damn room.
AnswerID: 48985

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:40

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:40
Coming from across the Border it might be your last ....... LOL

Hi Des
what colour is your 100 ?
are you on your own ?

Hope to see you therePrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
Only a lady driver would do that
FollowupID: 310832

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:41

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:41
G'day Bernie,
The truck is Bur-gun-dy.
The person holding onto my chain should be the Wife. You know, W=Washing, I= Ironing, F= Flappin her gums, E =everything else.
I just hope she leaves me tied up in the shade with a bowl of water and a lamp post nearby.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
FollowupID: 310841

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:52

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 21:52
Dragan, if you don't have a clue you're ok as I dont have enough clues for two people, come along, even if its only for a day.Life ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
FollowupID: 310912

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:24

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:24
Not sure that I am the "Main man" but I have driven LD three times now, but it has been a couple of years since I was there. I know some are intending to do the Border Track on Sunday (unless hangovers prevent it). Otherwise it will be a few drives here and there. The Eastern block is quite easy with tracks even a 100 series can get through without attracting scratches. The central block has some deeper sand and narrow tracks, whilst the Western section has sand and dirt (mud if wet). LD can easily be traversed in almost its entirity in three days, but I doubt any will do that as the main point of the weekend is to catchup/meet fellow EO forumites.

It will be fun, and weather permitting, a mass gathering on Saturday night sounds like a great plan....may have to pack the swags as well as the tent, just in case.....
FollowupID: 311001

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:34

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:34
Hi Dargan T
Keep an eye out for a group of 15 from TLC on UHF 15
on the move some where in the in the Eastern Block.
or scan UHF 10.

Opps!! just looked at your Rig...... have you got a UHF Radio ?

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
AnswerID: 48989

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:51

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:51
Hi Bernie!
Bear in mind I am new at this, so ofcourse, questions!!! What's TLC and eastern block?
I have UHF but it's only a small hand held 1.5W. I would be able to listen at least. Nah mate, can't afford to fork out cash for radio yet, but it's high on my priority list,will happen soon, UHF and AM SSB.
FollowupID: 310833

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:14

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:14
H again
TLC = Toyata Landcruiser Club Vic
If you look at the Map Western Block (SA border end)
Central Block
Eastern Block ( Dimboola end)

Hand held UHF should be OK in close range, if you are in range to hear then you should be able to talk.

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
AnswerID: 48992

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:26

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:26
Hi Gary
NO Gas either on Total Fire Ban Days (will need to check the radio each day)
They may have electric BBQ in the Carapark.

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
AnswerID: 49006

Reply By: GLD - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:05

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 19:05
I'm only new to this site, so haven't been following this. In case no one has been to Horseshoe Bend camp before I thought some might like to know that there are flush toilets there....this sometimes makes the difference whether some people camp in town or out bush.
AnswerID: 49041

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:58
Hi GLD
Flush Dunnys what else is there ? Showers, Take away, Movies ??????
FollowupID: 310906

Follow Up By: GLD - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:32

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:32
Hi John

Umm...not sure if you are looking for more info, but this is what else I found at Horseshoe Bend.....good caravan access (in dry weather, not sure about the wet), lots of space, shade, flat for camping, close to the river, fireplaces with good grates (no wood), and there are taps (not for drinking) around the corner at Ackle Bend Camp (can't remember if there were taps at Horseshoe but there is a hand basin at the loo).

Good area for birdwatching...I was only there for a picnic and walk but some of the birds I saw include red-rumped parrots, eastern rosellas, galahs, rainbow bee-eaters, several honey-eater species, emus with chicks.

Also a good spot for ground orchids.
FollowupID: 310939

Reply By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:13

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:13
Sorry guy's another silly question , I know its hot during the day , ehat about at night , warm/ cold ? just to help pack the car , thanks Venus Bay
AnswerID: 49065

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:19

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:19
Eric, check this site out. www.weatherzone.com.au and enter the post code for Dimboola. It will give you daily max temps and min temps. that are forcast for those days.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
FollowupID: 310921

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:29

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:29
does anyone know the postcode for Dimbula ?Venus Bay
FollowupID: 310925

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:45

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:45
Sorry Eric hit the wrong button 3414Prado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
FollowupID: 310929

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:08
Hi Eric... It will be cold at night but should not be freezing... Allow for about 14 in the mornings....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:44

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:44
In the back of the white pages
Dimboola 3414

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
AnswerID: 49074

Reply By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:36

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:36
Hi people!!!

It's nice to see that everyone is so responsive and helpfull at this forum!!! Many thanks for that!!
Well I started packing my 4WD last night, which means after some doubts, I'm going afterall, as it is my first time doing this,so it's 80% thinking what to pack and 20% of actual work. I have packed basic camping gear, chlotes, some basic tools, food and drink will come at the later stage, also 20L additional diesel. Not in the position to fork out some cash for recovery gear at the moment so I'm going without it, bit of a bummer, but I guess if I get stuck someone will be willing to help me.
I hope that there will be some space for one 25yo wog to join some group for a chat and cold beer since it looks like that I'm going all alone. wanted to bring a friend or two, but it seems that word DESERT maens sure death for them. So I'm on my own!
I'm open to any groups of newcomers to this, so we can get lost and get in to stupid situations tougether! LOL : )
AnswerID: 49101

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:57

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:57
Hi Dragan Terrano ( is that a name change) thought it was (Dragan T)

Re Recover Gear
1st has the Terrano got rated recovery hooks ?
2nd if so you need at least a "snatch strap" ( unwritten law of 4WD is if YOU are stuck YOU need to supply the snatch strap)
Hope this makes sense.Prado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
FollowupID: 310949

Follow Up By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:20

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:20
Well Bernie, that is one of the problems being new to this! I don't know written 4WD laws yet! So i'm even less familiar with unwritten ones : ) But if that is the case, I'll make sure that I have at least a snatch strap. I'm really not sure about rating of the hooks on my Terrano, any place you can recommend I can look up some info for it? Yeah it makes sense what you are saying about providing of snatch strap.
Unrelated to this, if someone comes accros bogged 4WD without the strap, they will still help them recover wouldn't they? I mean, you wouldn't leave someone bogged just because they don't have snatch strap? Don' t get me wrong, I'm just trying to find out how 4WD society works!!! I own a small yacht as well, and at sea first rule is: if someone is in trouble, you drop what ever you doing no matter how important it is and you head to help. Is there something similar in 4WDriving as well?

Lyn, I'll be heading out there Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, depends when I finish work on Saturday. I'm planing to stay at Horseshoe bend.When I grow up, I want to be PATROL TDI - Dragan's Terrano

TAR SUCKS!!!
FollowupID: 310956

Follow Up By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:25

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:25
Oh name change, nah mate, I just forgot to log on so it placed my visitor name on the tab.When I grow up, I want to be PATROL TDI - Dragan's Terrano

TAR SUCKS!!!
FollowupID: 310958

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:14

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:14
Hi Dragan.... I would help you straight away... But i am such a scab i would rather winch you instead because i have worked out that each time you pull on a snatch it costs about $8..... Because the elastic does wear out...
I am not speaking for all SA's... hehehehe.___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:19
Voxon thanks mate, I'll call you when I get stuck hehehe! I guess everyone with common sense would do the same. I was asking generally, just to see what sort of attitude is going on between 4WDrivers!

Cheers!!!
FollowupID: 310986

Sponsored Links