Blacking out rear windows with contact paper

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:56
ThreadID: 10964 Views:3112 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,
I am going on big trip to the little Sandy desert and I thought I might put silver contact paper on my rear side windows in the back of my car ( not on door windows ) . This would keep the car a bit cooler and give me some privacy as to what I have in the back worth stealing .
Does anybody know if this is illegal . I am thinking that it would be just like a panel van , and they are legal .
Thanks ,
Willie .Wishun I was fishun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:08

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:08
Willie, I don't think it would illegal to black out the rear side windows although not sure about the rear window as it restricts your view of vehicles behind you. (I can't see out my rear window either and we do have side mirrors.
You could make up some curtains.
The rear passenger windows can be screened using window socks. They work very well. Alternatively you could use those suction gripped mesh screens.
As long as they don't impair the driver's view you shouldn't have any hassels.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
Than be stuck here in this damn room.
AnswerID: 48984

Reply By: Boeing - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:31

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:31
Willie, I have used the silver with material back stuff that can be purchased from a business in Qld. They are suction cap fixture and are made to measure. Although not cheap they do work and I have them on the rear and side of cargo area and just use the side mirrors to see out the back.... I have had them on for about 12 -18 months and they have not come off. As well as being cooler they don't let people see what is inside... I have the fridge in 24/7.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 48988

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:15

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:15
Boeing ,
Do you remeber what the stuff is called and where I can buy it ?
Thanks ,
WillieWishun I was fishun
FollowupID: 310837

Follow Up By: Boeing - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:07

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:07
Willie, I use to have their business card but can't find it at present. They previously advertised in the 4x4 mags (had a picture of a troopy with it on) but I have not seen them for a while but know that they are still in business as a friend ordered some for their 100 series.

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 310845

Follow Up By: keith m - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:55

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:55
My experience is the same as Mark's. Purchased from a Brisbane based supplier that subsequently sold the business to another Brisbane based company. As Mark said, not cheap (about $140 for rear and two side sections for my 80 series), but they are cheaper and better than a fridge bag and keep all the back area cool. On a scale of 0 - 10 for accessories, they rate at least 8 as one of the best purchases I have made.
FollowupID: 311009

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:12

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:12
A guy on a recent trip had those fitted & you couldn't drive behind him away from the sun as the glare was blinding.
FollowupID: 311192

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:09

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:09
Willie,

As am rapidly running out of cash as i prepare for our 6 to 10 month trip; I have purchased some windscreen reflectors from Big W, you know the type that people put up on the dash and hold behind the sunvisors.

They come in varying sizes and can be removed (suction cups) if Mr Plod gets ancy. I am fitting these to the rear windows to keep the heat and prying eyes out.

Cheers,

Peter
AnswerID: 48994

Reply By: Gajm - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:27

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:27
Willie, did the same as a few others have posted, bought a few of those silver insulated windscreen refelectorsfrom Crazy Clints...only about $3 each, then cut them to fit the side and rear windows in the Patrol...made newspaper stencils first to get the size right...and i just put one of those velco dots you get in a pack from bunnings in each corner ( because i didnt want to bugger up the tinting ) and its easily removed and holds well....right rear is the only one that I keep on all the time, and it's been there 2 years now, no probs

Glenn
AnswerID: 48997

Reply By: Gajm - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:27

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 13:27
Willie, did the same as a few others have posted, bought a few of those silver insulated windscreen refelectors from Crazy Clints...only about $3 each, then cut them to fit the side and rear windows in the Patrol...made newspaper stencils first to get the size right...and i just put one of those velco dots you get in a pack from bunnings in each corner ( because i didnt want to bugger up the tinting ) and its easily removed and holds well....right rear is the only one that I keep on all the time, and it's been there 2 years now, no probs

Glenn
AnswerID: 48998

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:09
as long as you have side rear vision mirrors you can blank out all windows except the front ones ie driver and passenger and of course windscreenI am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
AnswerID: 49023

Reply By: rors101 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:19
On my Gu i cut up some of those $10 folding window shades (blue one side silver the other a bit like heavy duty bubble wrap) and slid them down behind the plastic trims. Fortunately they are stiff enough to support themselves without tape etc.
I also used window socks however upon removal and after 15000km on gravel dust etc they had etched the glass (Rainex helps but afters a month or so looks etched again) and rubbed the paint back. If you do use them make sure you clean the dust off regularly!!!
AnswerID: 49031

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 18:23
Gday this info is 3rd hand, but windscreens obrien apparently sell perspex cut to measure for this purpose. It is 100 mile an hour taped on to the actual window rubbers and therefore any wipers will still work. Being sealed, no dust gets in, and it can be removed or reused many times.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 49032

Sponsored Links