Jackaroo power steering fluid change

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:25
ThreadID: 10969 Views:4342 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to change the power steering fluid in a Jackaroo 3.5V6?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:39

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:39
ah, mr savvas, still tinkering i see :-) , all we used to do at the dealers was suck out the resivior (pull out the strainer basket and give that a clean as well) re fill with new fluid and then start and cycle the steering from lock to lock a few times, repeat the suck and fill 2 or 3 times until the fluid is all clean. You can drop off lines at the pump or steering box and flush new fluid through that way but it sure makes the job hard and messy. If you have a compressor at home then go to bursons etc. and grab a vacuum brake bleeder with the small collector pot on it, and use that to suck out the res. - makes the job real easy and clean, and has heaps of other uses on the car. Jack uses standard dexron 3 auto fluid for the p/s.

easy job, hard to botch up.
CheersJust killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
AnswerID: 49018

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:16

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:16
Thanks buddy!

I read on an Isuzu forum where some guy was using a turkey baster to get the old fluid out. It's only about a litre anyway in the ps.

The Monterey came back from a warranty job for an extremely intermittent transmission problem that started 2 years ago. Every so often it would shift up and down in gears with a bang. Eventually was found to be a faulty inhibitor switch ($450 for a switch???) and that was replaced today under warranty. Gotta be happy, the car has been out of warranty since Nov 2002 and the dealer was totally happy to do the work.

I also got them to do a tranny service at the same time.

So as the 80000km service is around the corner, the only service item apart from the tranny service that I'm not sure about is how to change the power steering fluid. Otherwise, I can do the rest quite easily myself.

Now to raid the kitchen for that baster!!!
FollowupID: 310904

Sponsored Links