More help please.

Submitted: Friday, Oct 03, 2014 at 23:15
ThreadID: 109706 Views:2757 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Last night it was a query re vehicles, (and had excellent responses- thanks) tonight it is about small off road vans. I have just sold my Outback Slide on and watched it driven out the driveway on the back of a Hilux, very sad moment we had some excellent trips with it over the last 5 years.

Now looking at a couple of small off road capable vans. We have two in mind the MDC-X10 Looks good for off road but a little cramped inside and tomorrow will see the Gulf Savanna 402 model.

Would appreciate any feed back on either or both of these. I believe that both are fairly new to the market so there may not be a lot of info about them.

Member Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DmaxQld - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 07:40

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 07:40
The MDC-X10 is a blatant Chinese rip off/copy of a Lifetsyle AT10. I personally would not touch an MDC with a very long barge pole.

http://www.lifestylecampertrailers.com.au/model/lifestyle-at-10-evo/
AnswerID: 539891

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 08:23

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 08:23
For what reason?
FollowupID: 825526

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 09:39

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 09:39
Shaker - The reason being, is that any "manufacturer" who basically uses Chinese components in a large part of the construction of their product, cannot rightfully claim to be an "Australian manufacturer".

The second point is that the product quality you end up with, is very much dependent on the Chinese producing a regularly high standard of product.

However - we all know that the Chinese manufacture to a price, not a purpose - and their QC is largely non-existent, is often corrupted, and they employ peasants at $2 a day to stick things together.
Those peasants often have no formal skills, and even worse, the Chinese are known to use jailed dissidents as forced labour to produce manufactured products.

The third point is that these "Australian manufacturers" who use Chinese construction as the base for their product, rely on a few Australians to add the local content that finishes the product off - and these people also have to act as QC inspectors to try and find any faults the Chinese have included in their class act.
Many a time, these faults slip through, and you, the owner, find out about them later - when the Chinese welding parts company 150kms NW of the Black Stump.

The manufacturer of the MDC-X10 is running close to the wind with their "Australian manufacturer" claims on their website.
However, there are always people who are happy with the cheapest Chinese-based product they can buy, and they're happy to put up with Chinese construction faults, because they never really test them out.

If you want a product that's built to do a job - then you buy a reputable product that is built in Australia, by people with verifiable trade skills, who have to comply with Australian construction rules and laws, and who build the product with full knowledge and experience of Australian road and climate conditions.
FollowupID: 825532

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 10:40

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 10:40
G'day all,
My friend recently purchased a MDC off road camper from their outlet in Melbourne (they are away in it right now doing a shakedown trip for the weekend) we looked at other chinese campers ( one had a bolt on drawbar held on by U bolts!!) not very impressive, with the MDC it is of solid construction built to Australian standards in their own factories in China with their own quality control. The way it all fits & the welds are impressive, the canvas is of high quality compared to others. A personal opinion but I would not hesitate to buy one myself! hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 825540

Follow Up By: Member - Bigred13 - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:34

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:34
Hi Michael John
We have just purchased an MDC Voyager off road and after several trips ,the last one Copley, Innamincka, Coongie lakes and Noccundra to Broken Hill over some very bad roads and corrugations, pot holes etc ,I could not be happier with the quality and build of this C/T .The only problems were that 2 seals where dust did get in ,but that is where they joined the seals (at 90 deg, not at 45 deg ) so check those and fill or seal with a rubber glue .I checked out the build quality and could not fault it, fully galvanised chassis and a lot stronger than other makes that I looked at .At Noccundra I saw a C/T on its first trip from Sydney (not much dirt between Sydney and Noccundra ) laying on its back at the Hotel ,left suspension ripped out from chassis in two places ,due to the independent suspension anchors being welded to the tube cross section ,not gusseted like the MDC ,which use heavier section and do not weld across tubes .I could not see any names on the C/T ,maybe just as well .The independent suspension is great .
FollowupID: 826061

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 21:07

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 21:07
A few years ago I bought a camper built by a reputable Aistralian manufacturer who I won't name other than by the initials TB.
Unlike the excellent trailer at the National show, the one provided to me was of the lowest possible quality both in build quality & final finish, in which almost the whole of one side had not received any top coat!
So, please don't try & preach to me about Australian build quality, the Chinese can & do build things of excellent quality & I suggest that anybody that says they won't buy Chinese, have a look behind your TV set or almost any other electronic device that you own!
I have been to VCAT once in my life & that over an Australian built TB camper trailer!

FollowupID: 826063

Reply By: peterdre - Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 11:12

Saturday, Oct 04, 2014 at 11:12
We looked at the Golf Savannah and thought parts of the chassis were a bit too light for serious off road work
Pedro
AnswerID: 539898

Sponsored Links