Dometic RC 1180 tie downs ??

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 15:47
ThreadID: 109723 Views:3911 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have a dometic (Waeco/chescold) rc1180 3-way fridge and am after some ideas on how to tie it down in the back of the cruiser without putting straps over the lid. This has been a great fridge/freezer for us but has the big down side of no handles etc on it's side to enable tie down without putting straps completely over the lid (which is just annoying having to undo each time we want to get into it).

Any ideas/suggestions/solutions either store ought or home made would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 16:22

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 16:22
Brian,

I'd be attaching some "dees" or some such to each end with either s/s self tappers or s/s pop rivets, through the plastic outer case. Also use some Sikaflex 291 to seal, and also assist the fasteners to hold the attachment.

Check out the Ovesco, or maybe Whitworths sites, as they have heaps of different s/s attachments, and fasteners. You might even be able to get something similar at Bunnings, or Home Hardware.

Here's a couple from Ovesco site:

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 539954

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:45

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:45
Thanks Bob,

That's basically what I thought I'd have to do.

Do you know if there is "anything" under the plastic moulding that I must avoid tapping into, or is it all just casing and insulation??

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 825658

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:45

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:45
Not familiar with that model Brian, though had a similar fridge about 40 years ago.

Would imagine all the workings are at the back of the fridge, so you should be (???) right fixing some attachments to the sides. Would only drill through the outer casing, and use shortest fasteners required to do the job.

That Sikaflex 291 is available in small tubes too, that would enough for that job.

No doubt you have checked for the captive threads that Allan has mentioned? That would be the preferable way to go.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 825676

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 19:39

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014 at 19:39
This was from the same question raised several years ago. Maybe some help?

"Our RC1180 sits on a fridge slide, underneath the fridge there are two captive nuts that are moulded into the case, from memory they are M8. I have used these to secure the chescold to the slide."

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 539963

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:47

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 07:47
Thanks for the reply Allan.

Not aware of any moulded nuts under the fridge. I'll check it out.

Cheers,
Brian
FollowupID: 825659

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:29

Monday, Oct 06, 2014 at 14:29
Well what do you know, there are captive nuts under the fridge. Have never turned the fridge that far over before to ever see them. Will definitely have a think about how to use these to secure the fridge. I don't want to permanently mount the fridge to our slide, so i will need to work out a way to enable it to be secure while travelling in the vehicle but also able to be removed when when arrive at camp etc.

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 825693

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:03

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 08:03
I would be very careful drilling for fittings, I suppose if the very top is away from any internal metal plates, you might be safe, a bit of a risk though.

If you go the d-rings way Brian, ensure you use a good chunky thread, short, fat, self tapper, and maybe use a bit of black urethane behind the d-ring for good measure.
I would use a big base one with a couple of screw holes / screws to spread the load etc.

It still worries me doing that, as the forces on those points on tracks would be fairly high, maybe 4 of them would be to go too, angle d-rings to direction of tie down point, and cross over the tie down straps, like this X.

When done, you can use these ratchet tie downs by Techniice, on special now for $18 a pair, shipping free, think out of stock now more in by mid Oct.
AnswerID: 540015

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:22

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:22
Hi Les, thanks for the reply.

After Allan let me know about the captive nuts moulded into the base, I have thought of a way to make a base (with tie down points incorporated into it) that will be just bigger than the base of the fridge that can be bolted to it. That way, I can tie it down to my slide, and it is not permanently mounted (plus no drilling into the fridge case!!)

Once I make it up I'll make sure to post some pics to hopefully help some others out.

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 825732

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:22

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:22
Hi Les, thanks for the reply.

After Allan let me know about the captive nuts moulded into the base, I have thought of a way to make a base (with tie down points incorporated into it) that will be just bigger than the base of the fridge that can be bolted to it. That way, I can tie it down to my slide, and it is not permanently mounted (plus no drilling into the fridge case!!)

Once I make it up I'll make sure to post some pics to hopefully help some others out.

Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 825733

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:05

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 10:05
Great plan Brian, and safe :)
FollowupID: 825736

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 11:45

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2014 at 11:45
Brian,

The only concern I have about using the underside captive nuts is their strength, or rather the strength of the plastic case around the nuts. Depends somewhat on the forces that will be applied due to track conditions I suppose.

An alternative, that has the advantage of not drilling the case, is to contrive a couple of clasps somewhat like the hooked fingers of your hand which hook over the case at the top of each end into the clearance at the ends of the lid. These clasps could be fashioned from 0.5mm steel sheet, say 150mm long like the sketch below and fastened down with regular tie-downs.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 825741

Follow Up By: jenny m1 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:06

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 22:06
I purchased a Waeco universal tie down from my road service provider. This works by having two metal clasps like Allan above has shown, it is on a hinge. It has a tie down strap that goes around the fridge and threads through the metal clasp which is bolted to the floor. It works well. This is my first post so am unsure about advertising rules here. If you want more details let me know. Cost was about $100 but appears a quality product.
FollowupID: 826334

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 21:51

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 21:51
Hi Jenny, I am interested in finding out some more info on the universal tie down you use. Do you have any more specific info or photos you could send so i could see exactly what you use, or maybe pass along some info on where you got it ?
Thanks
FollowupID: 826376

Follow Up By: jenny m1 - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 12:20

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 12:20
Hi,
This is the item I am referring to, I have just purchased it and installed it and tried it out over corrugated road it held my 35 litre fridge in place without moving.
Jenny
universal fixing kit waeco
FollowupID: 826389

Follow Up By: Member - Ksix - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 15:24

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 15:24
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Cheers,
Brian
FollowupID: 826395

Sponsored Links