Safety blitz on caravans on Bruce Hwy

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:00
ThreadID: 109762 Views:6771 Replies:10 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
There was a safety blitz on caravans on the Bruce Hwy near Childers yesterday, Four inspection cars plus a set of scales. At 10pm last night there were still five rigs parked for being grossly overweight.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 10:28

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 10:28
Do you know what options did they give the overloaded vans?
PeteM
AnswerID: 540126

Follow Up By: humpback - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:48

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:48
Hey Bunderdog did you see this or did someone tell you about this.
You here of vans being weighed and put off the road I would like to know if that has happened to you what was the fine,because there are alot of rigs out there that shouldnt be on the road
Cheers
Humpback
FollowupID: 825876

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:48

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:48
Peter,
there are no options if you are overweight. You either have to redistribute it or remove the weight to make the vehicle legal. Then you can go on your way with a lighter pocket.
FollowupID: 825877

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 12:01

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 12:01
Humpback,
the fine will depend on how much you are overloaded.First offence will be looked at and the risk the overloading causes. If the weight is less than 5% then it will be looked tav as minor but that could still be a stiff fine.

You then can move up to substantial overloading and onto severe overloading. I don't know how the inspectors will handle it or what the fines will be but I wouldn't like to come into the substantial 5 to 20% over or severe overload is above the 20%.

FollowupID: 825879

Reply By: Freshstart - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 13:48

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 13:48
Were they just looking at vans or over GVM cars as well?

Were any of the "rigs" cars without trailers or vans?
AnswerID: 540130

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 14:09

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 14:09
About time, the overweight issue has been long overdue for attention by the authorities.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540132

Reply By: Honky - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:12

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:12
At least now you can get pass them LOL

Honky
AnswerID: 540143

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:38

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:38
I know the post is about vans, but there are many, many travelling vehicles on the road that are overloaded. For many it is easy to see which vehicles are overloaded with no trailer or van.

So maybe they will start targeting all vehicles. Get the wallets out boys and girls if they do. Trust me it is fairly easy to pick and if the inspector is wrong you can just go on your way.
AnswerID: 540147

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 15:22

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 15:22
How many you actually know the weight of your rigs ?
FollowupID: 825955

Reply By: Member - willawa - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 17:54

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 17:54
About time.
maybe now their head lights won't need adjusting.
i see heaps that obviously have too much gear on board including the kitchen sink (which is standard issue these days) but a lot isn't !
AnswerID: 540184

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 22:55

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 22:55
This sort of thing DOES happen from time to time.

The transport inspectors are only too aware of the issues..they know What they are looking for a know they will find it and plenty of it.

Not so common these days, but before nationwide standardised towing regulations QLD transport and the police used to set up just north of the NSW border....and turn round caravans by the dozen, that may have been lagal in NSW or VIC but not QLD.

It is not uncommon to see a transport inspection point set up just near the whitsunday turn off.

There where a couple of operations inspecting vehicles as the came off the beach near Tewantin at the end of long weekends......they wrote tickets till they ran out of books to write on......lots of modified 4wds had to be towed or trailerd long distances..many as far as the NSW border..when they magicly became legal again.

Sunshine coast resident posters where reporting a lot of people being booked for oversized tyres on 4wds, a while back.

There is a crew and rig of gear that appears anywhere in NQ complete with scales and a shaker trailer...they inspect anything that moves.

There is a park down near the old Logan Butter Factory where they set up an inspection operation regularly......they line em up by the dozen....everything from breath and licence checks, thru to full vehicle inspections...they do very good business.

Havn't seen it for years...But they set up at my local tip and inspected every trailer comming and going.

In a slightly different note..there was a blitz down the port of Brisbane a few years ago...they targeted navigatin lights.......again the wrote tickets till they ran out of ticket books to write em in......it was reported in the press that they wrote something like 400 tickets over a week end......on nav lights alone.

You simply can not rely on them being interested in one thing or being in one place.

Sometimes these are officially programmed operations targeing specific issues.

Police do get regular bullitens drawing their attention to specific issues.

Particular coppers or transport inspectors my get a personal bee in their bonnet about a particular issue and get particularly interested in that issue.......perhaps they dragged someones sorry ass out of a wreck, or had to inform a bereved relative or may be their mrs got menaced by sum muppet in a monster truck 4wd....who knows.

Or perhaps the vehicle just looks so obviulsy dodgy that the copper simply could not let it pass.

Unfortunately there seem to be plenty out there who just don't care, cant be bothered making sure their rig is right or thing they wont get caught.

There are a lot of 4wds and caravans that are illegal in a variety of ways..and yes overloading is very common.

SO.....do you know what your rig weighs.....and do you fully understand your GVM and towing capacity issues.

cheers
AnswerID: 540200

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 00:48

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 00:48
I don't know all the modification laws but I thought NSW had tighter laws than QLD it would be interesting to see what the mods were that let them become legal when they hit the border.
FollowupID: 825977

Follow Up By: The Landy - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 08:19

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 08:19
What is often overlooked in vehicle weights are individual axle weights...

FollowupID: 825983

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 09:31

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 09:31
NSW modification laws have always been very lax in comparison to QLD laws.....and they have been dragging their feet for years over signing up to VSB14.

Have not kept up with the progress of modification law reform in NSW over the last 12 or 18 months.

But in the past rediculous suspension lifts and tyre size increases where able to be engineererd in NSW when the limit was 30% of suspension travel and 15mm of tyre diameter in QLD.

That is not to mention a variety of methods of achieving lifts that where permissable in NSW that where specifically outlawed in QLD.

And let me tell you the 4wd community in NSW bleated loud and long about the introduction of VSB14.

The introduction of VSB14 in QLD represented easing of most restrictions except body lifts which where easy under the old rules, but under the new ones pretty well off the table unless you have lots of $$$ for the engineering and lane change testing.

cheers
FollowupID: 825985

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 09:43

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 09:43
"What is often overlooked in vehicle weights are individual axle weights..."

Its not just individual axle weights...its the full range of vehicle capacities as specified.

The axle weights could be within specification , but if the trailer is incorrectly loaded, the ball weight could be beyond spec...for either the trailer or the tow vehicle.

The permissable ball weights on some of these modern vehicles with suposedly high towing capacities are surprisingly low.

A couple of these high towing capacity dual cab utes....to achieve maximum towing capacity....the ute has to be loaded with little more than two large blokes and their lunch.

It is important to pay attention to the full range of load capacities.

cheers
FollowupID: 825986

Follow Up By: Slow one - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 16:08

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 16:08
Bantam,
could you tell us which dual cab 4x4 utes are on their max with 2 large blokes and their lunch.
FollowupID: 826001

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 17:14

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 17:14
There is no legislation in QLD or I think anywhere else that limits ball weight.

The limit is set by the manufacturer of the vehicle or the towbar manufacturer.

Also if you look into it modifications that are legal in your home state are normally accepted in other states as long as you dont change rego to a different state
FollowupID: 826005

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:06
on the matter of there being legeslation limiting ball weight....there does not need to be any legeslation.....if the manufacturer of a vehicle nominates a maximum ball weight ( they all do these days) as part of its towing caoacity specification that makes it a legal requirement.
Its pretty clear how that plays out for a tow vehicle.

As far as modifications being legal in your home state and being legal in other places...that is a very interesting pioint

I'll refeer you to a coppy of an email I have from the QLD department of transport.

Date: Monday, 17 January 2011 11:26 AM

Dear Mr #############

Thank you for your enquiry of 19 December 2010 about modified interstate
registered vehicles. In particular 4WD vehicles with higher suspension,
larger tyres and lift kits.

I can confirm that all vehicles travelling in the State of Queensland must
comply with the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle
Standards and Safety Regulation) 2010.

I can further confirm that the Queensland Police Service have the power to
intercept such vehicles. For your convenience I have attached a hyperlink
to the Queensland Police Service Internet Site (Click here for link).

I trust this information addresses your enquiry.

Kind Regards,

Policy Support Team | Service Delivery Policy
Transport Services Division | Department of Transport and Main Roads

cheers
FollowupID: 826057

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:03

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 20:03
Bantam,
still would like to know about these dual cab utes and their 2 guys + lunches. I can't hear you.

Just to add about near the Whitsunday turnoff. I have never seen or heard of Transport "targeting caravans" on the pads at Pindi Pindi, South Proserpine, Bowen South and North or Greenacres. Then again it may have happened when I was asleep. They have conducted checks on light ones at these locations, mainly licences, rego's and blow up the bag checks, but to my knowledge they have never targeted vans.

As Pauline would say. Please explain. She is waiting.
FollowupID: 826060

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 22:38

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 22:38
Hi Bantam

On axle weights I was intending it in reference to the vehicle only. It is one thing to load within GVM but you also need to be mindful it is loaded within axle weight limits also...
FollowupID: 826066

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:00

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:00
Here are the figures from the holden web site, using their payload calculator.

colorado 4x2 crew cab ltz mt pickup

number of occupants 2

average mass each 130Kg

canopy
steel bullbar
snorkle

towing mass 3500kg
towball load 10%

kepb mass 2020kg
paylaod 1130 kg
GVM 3150
total occupant mass 260Kg
accessory mass 154kg
other mass 0kg
total towing mass 3500kg
towball load mass 350Kg
gross combined vehicle weight 6000kg

AND

weight for it

remaning load calculation..........66KG

OH and with this disclaimer

Figure is approximate and provided as a guide only, Calculator does not take into account front/rear axle loading.

now 66 Kg may be bit more than twice the size of my lunch box.....but some of these guys are big eaters

NOW
if I change that to the 4x4 model .....and..... we are 19kg overloaded.

remember this is from holdens own on line calculator.

so if those guys went on a diet and got down to 110kg each they would have sufficient payload to carry a decent lunch box each.

cheers
FollowupID: 826071

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:04

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:04
Now I threw that two blokes and there lunch out there are a bit of a joke.........but it aint no joke now.

OH...and remember that is calculated bassed on manufacturers "kerb weight" which does not include a full tank of fuel.

So much for "unbeatable towing capacity".

cheers
FollowupID: 826072

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:53

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:53
Bantam

I dont follow where the 66kgs come from, 1130Kg is gross carrying less 260Kg for occupants , 154kg accessories, and max 350 ball weight leaves 366Kg. Allow for 80 lt fuel approx remaining is 300Kg and thats on the assumption the ball weight is at the maximum.

Are you sure that you haven't allowed for the barbie, gas bottle and fridge as well as the lunch box? ;)

Alan
FollowupID: 826077

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:32

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:32
I didn't make the calculations I just punched the figures as listed into the GMH on line calculator.

I have not worked back the figures to find the limitation...but I assume the GMH engineers have got it right.

Now remember this whole towing capacity can be a lot more complicated than a lot of people want to believe.

Gross combination mass has to be considered..although that does not seem to be the single limitation in this case.

Rear axle loading does not appear in the figures though it may be an issue.

Remember the ball weight is applied at the very rear of the vehicle and may require a payload reduction more than the simple ball weight figure t keep the rear axle loadings in spec.

just looking at GVM 3150 plus towing capacity 3500 equals 6650.
That is 650 KG more than the Gross combination mass of 6000.

Even the simple figures of GCM 6000 - ATM 3500 leaves a total remaining payload of 480KG minus 260 for the big blokes leaves 220kg remaining....deduct the weight of the tow bar, the bullbar and the canopy and ya probably down in the 100KG range for remaining payload.

Again simple figures and not complete calculations....GCM - ATM leaving 480KG remaing payload.....ball weight is 350kg....that has to come off the payload somewhere...how that plays out with GCM in this case requires more detail to be known.

The point is.......you can carry no where near full tow vehicle payload AND tow maximum towing capacity...not even close.

put 4 large blokes in that dual cab 4wd and you most definitely can not tow full rated towing capacity......no lunch no tools and nothing in the tray....still busted.

If you want a surprise do the figures on a landcruser SUV......you can be busted on the scales with one of those with mum dad and 3 fair sized kids and their schoool bags in the back....that is before you fit the bullbar, towbar and roof rack.

cheers
FollowupID: 826079

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:53

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:53
Front axle weight is often overlooked. Take a Toyota hilux, add a bull bar winch and two people in the front and chances are you are over the front axle weight.

Vehicle weights are an interesting topic

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 826080

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:09

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:09
Bantam,
you should work for Energex as a creative account, so they can put the Qld electricity bills up higher.

All of a sudden the 2x 70kg blokes turn into 260kg, the ute gets a canopy, bullbar and a snorkel + has a 350kg weight on the ball from I guess their travelling kitchen. No wonder they have put on so much weight so quickly.

There maybe a good job for you at one of the Murdoch tabloids or today tonight.
FollowupID: 826088

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:27

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 14:27
A laugh on tow and vehicle weights is the FJ cruiser , prior to the 013 model the vehicle only had 1 fuel tank of 72 lt and appropriate weights allowed in the handbook , 013 models on have an extra fuel tank bringing fuel to 156 lt , ergo roughly an extra 100 odd kg [ fuel and tank weight] already , according to 013 handbook however the weight limitations [passenger/cargo/towing/towball weight etc] have NOT increased or decreased ,,,,,, the vehicles are the same in ALL other aspects apart from said fuel capacity and the inclusion of a small roof console [a couple of kg extra weight ]...
FollowupID: 826089

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:13

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:13
Bantam

It would appear that the increase in towing capacity from 2850kg to 3500Kg comes at the direct decrease in payload.

At 2850Kg towing with your two very heavy guys, accesories, and 10% towball loading (max) you would have 431Kg surplus.

Plenty of room for the barbie, fridge and gas bottle. I also would agree that the weight of the guys is probably upper scale and the average would be closer to 80 - 100Kg.

Also the 10% loading is the maximum downward force, there probably very few applications where a 2850Kg trailer would exert 285kg down ward force.

But your statement about carry full load and towing full capacity appears to be correct. And the drop of in capacity is severe with a 2850kg load on the rear.

Alan
FollowupID: 826094

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:55

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 15:55
T Alan S Think again 10% is barely enough ball weight.

My van was 2865kg and the ballweight was exactly 300kg.

With a WDH it sat level and travelled beautifully.

Wouldnt have liked it to be less than that.
FollowupID: 826096

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 19:09

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 19:09
Slow one posted:
Bantam,
you should work for Energex as a creative account, so they can put the Qld electricity bills up higher.

All of a sudden the 2x 70kg blokes turn into 260kg, the ute gets a canopy, bullbar and a snorkel + has a 350kg weight on the ball from I guess their travelling kitchen. No wonder they have put on so much weight so quickly.

Yeh I know only too well that standard carrying capacities for vehicles are worked on 70KG people (75 Kg for boats).....what an absolute joke.

I have not weight under 70 Kg since I was a teenager......go for a walk arround a few construction sites or 4wd club meetings and 130KG is far from unusual for "large blokes"
Even working back to a far leaner 110KG and a 10KG esky each....the 4wd colorado...equipped as listed...that BTW is a dual cab and expected to carry 4 adults.....is overloaded with the full rated towing capacity in place.

remember that is not with the standard fuel tank filled, no loing range tank...a style side tray and not a steel framed flat one....no clothes, fishing gear, fridge or beer esky in the back...no winch...no bag of recovery gear......drag chains, long handled shovel...and no black dog

Overloaded with 2 moderately large blokes and less the the standard 15Kg personal bagage allowance......nothing in the tray no one in the back seat

cheers
FollowupID: 826108

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:48

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:48
Bantam,
you seem to go to lengths to prove certain vehicles are not fit for purpose (dual cabs) but in reality all 4wd vehicles are in the same boat. Please don't start quoting light trucks.

I don't know how I do it, but myself and others seem to be able to keep the weights under gcm and gvm.

You wrote the rubbish about the 2x70kg blokes and lunch boxes and now you want to change the blokes weights and add bulk gear to the vehicle to prove something you wrote wasn't fiction.

Nuff said.
FollowupID: 826115

Follow Up By: Member - Nutta - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 22:23

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 22:23
Doesn't leave much hope for the wagons that only payload 600kgs!

I think the car makers have a lot to answer for, especially with all their ad on accessories!

Most joe blows wouldn't know.
FollowupID: 826121

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:16

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:16
A 100 ser Cruiser only had 672 kg payload so Ball 300kg fuel 140kg you and mum 180kg.

You then have 52kg for the fridge, safety gear any extra fuel and lunch.
Ha Bl**dy ha.
We tried to work it by removing both back row seats and got pretty close I think.
FollowupID: 826123

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:42
slow one wrote
You wrote the rubbish about the 2x70kg blokes and lunch boxes and now you want to change the blokes weights and add bulk gear to the vehicle to prove something you wrote wasn't fiction.

you seem to be quite happy to change the facts to suit yourself.

I said two large blokes........not many people would call a 70Kg man large......are you 70Kg......the average australian man is about 5'8" and slightly over weight at about 90Kg.......that is not a large man.

I am not bent on proving certain vehicles are not fit for purpose.....it is people that make them unfit for purpose by selecting them to do more than they are fit for.

It is very common for people to look for GVM upgrades......it is very common for people to be pushing the limits of towing capacities...it is VERY common for the manufacturers and sales people to push the high towing capacities....quoting those capacities in the simplest way and ignoring the detail.

The colorado like many of the light utes has a towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes........but in most situations that are considered reasonable it will not tow 3.5 tonnes legally or safely.

AND why should I not quote light trucks.......they are what IS fit for towing 3.5 tonnes and carrying a reasonable payload in the tow vehicle.

Look at the oft mentioned Iveco turbo daily...it WILL tow 3.5 tonnes with 4 large 100pluss KG men aboard and a tonne and then some in the tray.

If you want to make it more reasonable.....change the two large blokes to a 90Kg man, a 60Kg woman a 40kg boy and a 30Kg girl....that is a typical family that would buy a dual cab ute......the figures would work out the same.

this is a thread about roadside inspection......it is very common for touring rigs, both vehicle and van or just plain vehicle on its own to be well and truly over weight.

If you are towing a 2850KG van ( a typical largish van) with the colorado with a family of 4.......unless you are absolutely furgal with what you carry...you WILL be over loaded.

people look at the GVM and the ball weight and think they are OK.........there is a hell of a lot more to it than that.

And as we have seen some of these 3.5 tonne rated vehicles spec ip very poorly in reality.

cheers

cheers
FollowupID: 826124

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:47

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:47
as someone mentioned...its even worse with the station waggons.

If you have a payload in the 600Kg range...factory standard.....if you add a steel bullbar, winch, rear bar with two spare wheels, roof rack and a long range tank........you will be over weight with 4 average 90Kg adults and the 15Kg of personal bagage aboard.

cheers

FollowupID: 826125

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:28

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:28
Bantam,
I thought I would throw in the 70kg blokes as you seem to be able to throw in anything, you like to justify your posts so I thought I would try a bit of creative journalism.

Yep, isn't it better to mention all 4wd vehicles can be overloaded and not just go for a couple of DUAL CAB utes, the fact being 4wd wagons suffer far worse with weight limits. Isn't it better to mention all vehicles can suffer from an overloading problem, remembering many vans are towed with family sedans.

Surely you aren't promoting a Euro light truck with a common rail Fiat engine. I sorta got the impression you disliked with much intensity common rail Euro vehicles, anything American + local Ford and Holden products.

It is easy to overload all vehicles from lights to heavies and it is up to the driver of those vehicles to make sure they are on the right side of their load limits. If they wish to carry so much gear that they are overloaded, then they do the time and pay the fine.

So instead of singling out a couple of dual cabs that have a far better payload than their wagon counterparts, it would be better to stick to fact and mention all vehicles.

An example. Boatie pulls a 3.4t boat and trailer + his gear to the ramp to go fishing. The vehicle has done what the manufacturer specs and he is nowhere near at his max gcm or gvm.

Now the same bloke has done well in life and has a 2.5t caravan. He also has no problems if he manages his load for a big trip. His mate then says, could you deliver my 3.5t caravan then he still won't break the law as he is just delivering it.

So instead of picking on a couple of vehicles it is much better to look at an overall picture.

BTW. My vehicle is not a dual cab.

To those out there that have a problem a fix could be the use of a dolly on the front of the van, that is as long as they don't exceed their gcm.
FollowupID: 826139

Reply By: Omaa - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 13:53

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 13:53
Spoke to cousin who lives Cordalba last night & the local grape vine Childers, ATC, Cordalba has heard nothing. "Near" could be anywhere in any direction!
AnswerID: 540252

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 15:18

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 15:18
Last weekend the blitz was on at Longreach , H/way blocked both directions ALL vehicles stopped , Blow and Swab , licence checked , rego checked, while transport do a quick walk round vehicle , anything that looked even slightly "off" moved for more intensive inspection , 4 days and 24 hrs per day , Trucks and road trains trying the sneak way from North and west by diverting through Muttaburra and Aramac were stung buy the local police , …..
AnswerID: 540254

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:23

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 19:23
From what I hear from some of my truck driving mates, this is far from an unusual occurance.

A company one mate of mine was driving for had one of its steel trucks stuck in one of the western towns for 4 days while it waited for ..a number of tyres.
This truck was zzipped some way out of town...the police conceeded that he could drive to the nearest town where legal tyres could be fitted and no further.

I was visiting a heavy transport repair yard with a client.....they had several trucks and trailers that had been inspected on the roadside out west and had been permitted to return to Brisbane for repair.....and some of the faults where far from superficial and easy to spot.

When these guys have a mind to do some "serious inspectin" they don't muck about and they don't come up short on showing the need.

4 days and 24 hours a day......thats commitment.

cheers
FollowupID: 826059

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:00

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:00
Its generally twice per year that they set it up just on the northern outskirts of Longreach , no chance of bypassing where it is set up , is usually a contingent of police drawn from all over the state , not just the locals...
FollowupID: 826068

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:54

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 13:54
I have no doubt the Cootes transport crash and fire in NSW and the subsequent inspection and fines imposed on their fleet for defects has prompted the police and transport authorities in other states to increase their focus on the whole gamut of road users.

Rightly so, we are all entitled to the expectation that defective vehicles are removed from our roads.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540292

Sponsored Links