What a great three weeks

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:18
ThreadID: 109763 Views:2225 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday
I left home on 14/9/2014 and headed to Adelaide to pick up the horse shoes from Dave B . The next morning i was on the road to Roxby Downs for the third night. So far i am getting 11.9 l/100 , but all bitumen . Left Roxby Dns and headed up the Borefield track , a little dust but am yet to find a bump. I turned left at Oodnadatta track and had lunch in the Pink road house at about 3pm. Heading North I stayed at Hamilton Stn for the fourth night. Leaving early , i was in Mt Dare by about 10 am.where i waited for Robin and Anne Miller who turned up early afternoon from Alice springs direction.
Next morning we were on our way to Dalhousie springs and all places East . We stopped at Colson track French track corner for the night and at 3.00 am it started to rain and get cold.15c at 6.00 am with a breeze from the South East. Well the rain made the trip easier for us as the sand set hard . Second night was at a spot the Millers stayed at last year by the road side . Still with a cool breeze we went on and had third night at Ayre creek. Weather getting a little warmer by now and headed for Big Red.
I have heard a lot about this sand hill and it sounds all bad . Robin up first go, so i had to make it as well. A couple of minutes later Anne called up and i set off for the first time. In no time at all i was on top of Big Red in one go . I will say that the rain was a big help with the sand nice and firm , but still first go ..Off to Birdsville for breakfast ....more later
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:56

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:56
It was indeed a brave effort fought under the adverse weather conditions of a sunny wind free morning, cool sand and 20 degrees still Muz survived his first ever Simpson crossing and climb up big Red as this photo shows.

There is a video that can be had for $10,000 but we might settle for a cappicino next week.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540127

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 16:44

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 16:44
Well done Murray on getting across the Simpson Desert, especially with Robin! I'm surprised you took the easy route (west to east) given Robin is always up for a challenge and doing things a bit harder for the sake of it. Must have taken the chicken track up Big Red did we??? Maybe next time you could try going east to west in the middle of a warm spell? Would love to compare notes from our Simpson trip earlier in the year at the monthly coffee club gathering but won't be able to make it just yet. Regards to everyone.

Cheers Rob K
AnswerID: 540136

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 07:27

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 07:27
Gday Rob
It was my choice to go West to East as we were off to the national gathering, and no, we didn't use any chicken tracks. The challenge for Robin was traveling with me .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 825920

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 19:40

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 19:40
I too made it first time (just), used all my traction aids though.
Still travelling having done over 12,000 k's so far and currently in Perth. Will not make the next Coffee Club or even the one after as do not expect to be home until early Dec.
Doing trips is great, but so is hearing about the trips of others. I guess I will just have to wait until I get back to hear yours. I wish I had the time and ability to blog like Stephen L his are outstanding. If you read his blog in 4 parts of his latest trip I covered a fair bit of the same tracks just before him it was a case of deju vu for me.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540142

Sponsored Links