Tv electrical problem

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 20:46
ThreadID: 109766 Views:1841 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
When we have our tv on in caravan we get interference and often lose or get weakened signal when we eg turn outside light on or when use pump for water is this normal or should get it checked . Also when the van was connected to car the battery light in van used to come on indicating we were connected but that doesn't happen any more. Should the battery light come on when car connected to van? Thanx. Please I appreciate advise but can we desist witjh the egoes and be nice when people are genuinely trying to help
Linda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:07

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:07
The outside light wouldn't be a flouro or a LED would it, cheap power supplies in these are know to cause interference.

Battery light, if it used to light it probably still should, if you post up the make and model of your van someone with the same unit may be able to help?

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540145

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:15

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:15
You need to provide more information before anyone can give other than a guess.
First is this on 240V or 12v? I guess 12V.
If 12v is it a house battery or a connection from the car? I guess House battery.

If the house battery what is the voltage of the battery when this is happening? If you want to check this yourself , you can buy cheap multimeters from Jaycar.

My first reaction is that your battery is down, and when you turn the light on the voltage drops to the extent that the TV wants more. ( guess)
It may be that your wiring is inadequate and causing a voltage drop although most 12Volt TVs don't take much power . ( guess)

It may be related somehow to the light being off, as the house battery may not be being charged adequately from the car so I would say get someone to check it..
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 540146

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:17

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:17
Also it could be unrelated to power and be because your antenna has a poor connection either in the feed to the TV or from its amplifier if it has one. This will cause the TV to find a signal only through the connection on the back, but you should also have very poor range.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 825911

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:51

Thursday, Oct 09, 2014 at 21:51
The tv reception thing... Don't worry about it. It is the nature of digital tv's and their signal. Our tv at home does the exact same thing when we turn on a light in the kitchen, the signal flickers for a second then it's back to normal. It never used to happen with the same tv when getting analogue signal but every time it happens now we have moved to digital tv.

Not sure about the battery light when connected to the car issue.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540148

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:43

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:43
It shouldnt do that Sounds like you have a bad power connection in the house or cheap LED lights in the kitchen.

We tried LED lights and they interfered with channel 7 and made it go into pixel blocks.

A sparky said yes the cheapies will do that so we binned them.
Fluros will also do it if the starters are crook.

Problem can also be caused by having 240 v too close to the aerial wire.
Certainly not normal or desirable from the TV's point of view.
FollowupID: 825939

Reply By: ozwildlifecarer - Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 11:55

Friday, Oct 10, 2014 at 11:55
Thanx again everyone. It's the house battery and occurs 12v or 240v but we now think it's to do with signal strength cos last nite played with direction. Of antenna and all was ok. When avian connected to car this morning checked everything . The lights radio work so presume all is ok or am I wrong.
AnswerID: 540164

Sponsored Links