Nasty smell in Prado

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 15:40
ThreadID: 109780 Views:4432 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just returned 2 weeks ago from the Gulf and East Arnhem. Detailed the Prado diligently (dust was amongst some of the worst we have encountered). Since then we have been noticing a bad smell, which could have stared even before we returned home but has progressively become worse. My thought is that a little furry critter has found an aperture, climbed in and died. We've searched and searched. Does anyone know if the Prado has any known blind apertures or have you found dead bodies in unexpected places?
By the way...Someone from Explore Oz recommended Baniyala up in Arnhem, whoever it was I hope you're reading as it was truly stunning!! To anyone doing the Gulf, 7 Emus (E of Borroloola) is also stunning.
Thanks
Noels
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 18:26

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 18:26
Hi Noels

Have you flushed the grasshoppers and other bugs out of your radiator, oil cooler and condenser?

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540227

Follow Up By: muzbry - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:48

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:48
Gday
And water from under the mats...
FollowupID: 826036

Reply By: Roughit.Instyle - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 18:36

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 18:36
Some years ago we encountered a similar smell in the Land Cruiser returning from Cape York. A bush rat/mouse apparently climbed into the air-conditioning and got caught when the vent closed when it was switched on. Upon finding the aperture under the dash, unfortunately the body burst and the emitting stench was so powerful, had to hang the head out of the window. It required a coat hanger straightened out to extract the rat bit by bit, and then the smell disappeared.

Good luck. Cheers - Ngaire
AnswerID: 540228

Reply By: steamfire01 - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 19:09

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 19:09
Noelene / Peter
Just a thought from left field, check your battery fluid level. I had an instance where the main battery was very low and then empty causing severe gassing - a bad sulphurous smell. It took me two weeks to work out the problem. Battery still OK after a refill...strange.

Stay safe out there !
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 540229

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:20

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:20
Same here. Every time we stopped we looked at each other wondering who made the smell. Stopped the car and opened the bonnet and it was obvious where the smell came from.
FollowupID: 826009

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:26

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:26
I had that after the local ARB wired up the dual battery system wrong. When the wiring was corrected the second battery collapsed as it'd had no charge for over a year and the stink was not nice.
Some years back the Cook and I were on Home Valley Station and the manager was hunting for the cause of the awful pong in his Troopy.
I lent him a screwdriver and he took off various aircon vents and found a dead mouse. For something so small they give out an awful lot of stink! :-)
AlanH.
FollowupID: 826030

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:08

Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 at 20:08
Change the pollen filter.
AnswerID: 540232

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 08:24

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 08:24
Having spent a few years in North Qld and the Top End I once had a bad odor problem too... I think you will have a dead Gheko or Frog in the air vent system , when the vent is open or the A/C is used you'll get the smell, it'll disappear after a few weeks as it decomposes and dries up. Actually my problem was in the fan, I turned it on one morning and heard something getting minced up.
The little buggers can't get in from the vents below the windscreen , it has mesh under the grill, more than likely got in through an open window , then entered a dash vent.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540240

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:46

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:46
While I wouldn't discount a little furry critter, would have to agree with Doug that it may be a gecko or frog. It's amazing the amount of odour they give off when they are "ripe". We've had to evacuate our bedroom for a few nights when a gecko "suicided" in the aircon.

Would do a sniff test, to see if you can isolate where the smell is strongest, and maybe work from there. A bright torch can often make them easier to see if under the dash or seats.

"Nilodor" is a smell-stopper (available in supermarkets)that works well, though I reckon it smells a bit clinical. Have seen an undertaker use it before he zipped up a body bag some years back. I prefer Supercheap "New Car" deodorant to mask any in-car smells, odours or emissions.

Small birds can get caught around the grill area too and provide a lot of odour for a few days. Hope you find it or it dries up quickly

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 826035

Reply By: desray (WA - Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 22:13

Sunday, Oct 12, 2014 at 22:13
change the pollen filter. It is behind the glovebox. Open the glove box take off the supporting wire on the left and the lid should drop right down. You will see a White plastic drawer behind, pull it out and check the filter ,it will be chockers with dust .
AnswerID: 540264

Sponsored Links