Victoria campsites

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 06:57
ThreadID: 109795 Views:2353 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello! We're visiting Australia in January from the UK, and have hired a motorhome in Victoria. We're planning a trip from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road as far as Port Fairy, then looping north and back to Melbourne. We're looking online for campsites - ideally powered - but are finding they are booked, and seem to want 3 or 5 nights minimum booking, but we only want them for single nights. Can anyone please advise of any good campsites in that area - ideally with power, or without.
Thanks
Dom & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:26

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:26
January is peak season so places get booked out and prices are also at a peak.

One strategy might be to stay inland and do excursions down to the coast. The Great Ocean road is certainly a great sight. I think it is better if travelled going west so you are on the coast side of the road.

Have a look at google maps and plan to do loops from inland down to the coast and then back inland again for your over night stay.

When you are as west as you you want to go, you can return to Melbourne by travelling further inland and pickup other places like Ballarat and Bendigo. Victoria is a small place by Australian standards and you can travel from anywhere in western Victoria to Melbourne in a day so distances should not be problem (but they will be greater than UK)

Alan
AnswerID: 540270

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:33

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:33
Hi Dom

When you get to Australia, get youself a copy of Camps 7.

It will give you all the information on where to find those out of the camping locations.

Enjoy your time in Australia, the best country in the world.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540271

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 08:05

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 08:05
Agree, this book plus some online research will give some options.
You are coming to Australia so just roll with the "she'll be right" attitude and things will just be fine lol

As has been said you are going to be here in peak season so I would not try and organise too much structure in your trip as you may need to be a bit flexible as you go
FollowupID: 826070

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:42
Agree with what has been said above, camps 7, and "she'll be right mate", but if you have an iphone or ipad you can for about $5 down load the wikicamps app which is very good.
Enjoy you stay in Oz.
Cheers.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 826073

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:21

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:21
+1 for Wikicamps. I use it instead of the Camps book now.
FollowupID: 826136

Follow Up By: Travelling - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:05

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:05
Camps Australia Wide has been surpassed well and truly by WikiCamps.
Wikicamps is now $7.49 Still consider WikiCamps to be a bargain.

Great Ocean Road in summer is major rip off price wise and over priced. Victorian National Parks like Johanna Beach on the GOR are now completely unaffordable for the average person like all Victorian National Parks.
You need to quickly learn to stealth camp.
FollowupID: 826183

Reply By: rooster350 - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:42
Why stop at Pt Fairy ?, just a few ks further is Portland the first permanent settlement in Victoria. Far to many things of interest to see and do to be listed here, but it has a thriving harbour importing and exporting goods , a large aluminium refinery ,huge windfarms, long sandy beaches, good fishing (tuna boats...up to 80 or more at times operate out of here)and the rivers fish well, lots of historical buildings AND you will find some camp sites (unpowered) or contact me later( I read this forum every day) and I can tell you just exactly where they are. But you would really need to stay a few days in the area to make the trip worthwhile. There are 3 van parks just out of town that should be able to accomodate you.
AnswerID: 540274

Follow Up By: Dom D - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 05:51

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 05:51
Thanks for the info. Yes we might go on to Portland so advice on the local sites would be appreciated.
Many thanks
FollowupID: 826127

Follow Up By: Travelling - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:08

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:08
Portland is good and tourist information even have a good brochure of free and low cost camping spots. There are some good locations around Portland. South East corner of South Australia also reasonably good for low cost camping and plenty of spots for free. Any back road has a gravel pit and nobody travels in the country at night on back roads after 7pm.
FollowupID: 826184

Sponsored Links