Toyota Coaster engineer process

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 17:33
ThreadID: 109800 Views:3918 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all, I have had a coaster for 12 months, it is still a 20 seater, due to a leaking injector pump and an oil leak it was defected on the pit inspection, it has taken time to get the problems sorted out so now I'm looking at the registration being cancelled (NSW).
So I'll be starting from scratch with getting a blue slip and so forth, I want to remove seats to make it a 7 or 9 seater, is there an easier way around this situation? The only way I know is to re-register the bus and then take seats out and have it engineered, it is a little confusing with the rules and regs, any help is much appreciated, thanks, Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:12

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:12
Go to your registration office and ask for a list of engineers who are licensed to do the work. Then pick one and ask for a price.

AnswerID: 540299

Follow Up By: Keith W3 - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:49

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:49
Thanks tom
FollowupID: 826117

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:08

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:08
Hi Keith,

The brother and I have just gone through the final engineering inspection on the LH drive to RH drive conversion on his imported motorhome. We have done all the conversion work ourselves, everything. In fact today we are driving from Port Macquarie to Taree to get the plate affixed to the vehicle by the engineer. It passed its second and final inspection last week.

So to that end in answering your question you can get an unregistered vehicle permit to take the vehicle to an engineer and inspect what you have done and he will either pass it there and then or advise you what you need to do in order to make it compliant.

There is a list of approved certifying engineers on the RMS website, so the brother tells me.

To get a permit you need to get the vehicle inspected as being roadworthy then you need to fill out the permit application form and present it to your local RMS office and pay the fee.

What you would be well advised to do is to speak to the engineer first to see what he needs done so that the vehicle is compliant and therefore easier for him to inspect and certify.

Once the engineer has passed it you then have to get the roadworthy done and then it is off to the RMS office for the final registration step.

It may be that any variation may see you having to fit seat belts for each passenger seat. Side facing seats can only have lap belts and NOT lap sash. Speak to your engineer and he will clarify this.

Mind you, if you get it registered first you will not need to go through the process of getting a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle and you will be able to get insurance on the vehicle which is important and a much better situation given the chances of an accident these days.

Getting an previously registered vehicle re-registered is a fairly easy process so keep all your paperwork from this current registration so that it will make the process that much easier.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540314

Follow Up By: Keith W3 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:45

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:45
Ok that is handy to know, thanks Bruce, I'll go on with the registration first and then the conversion, thanks for your knowledge!
Well done with getting yours sorted
FollowupID: 826140

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:05

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:05
You have to understand there is no real engineering when removing seats, you could keep it registered as a 20 seater and just remove the seats that are not needed..... the down side is you may pay more for rego and inspections.

The whole seat thing is so the customer does not rip of the government by classing the vehicle in a low class then what it is and what it is getting used for.... it is classed as stealing form the commonwealth and it's the same as tax avoidance.

Best thing is to find and speak to an engineer or a coach/bus builder.
AnswerID: 540326

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)