Tracks/journeys similar to or harder than the CSR

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:22
ThreadID: 109801 Views:3209 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

It is my first time posting on here, although I have been lurking for a while.

Earlier this year Dad and I completed a trip up the Canning, something that we had aspired to for quite some time.

The question is, what next?

I am looking for a journey or route that would involve similar amounts of (or ideally more) planning, preparation, adventure etc.

We have done a decent amount of touring throughout the remoter parts Australia, but there is always more to see and explore!

Mitchell

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:47

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:47
Hi Mitchell, you've asked at the right place.
It depends what kind of terrain you seek I guess.
Try going to the blogs section and select travel journals - There's a few good trip reports in there.
One day I'd like to travel the Carson River Track up north- that looks like a good challenge.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540302

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:56

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 20:56
Ha ha, beat me to it, Alan.

Mitchell, think Peter and Margaret have been around this track. There should be a couple of their videos in the archives, earlier this year. The track "ends" at Oombulgurri, the rough bits that is.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 826118

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 22:55

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 22:55
The Carson Track actually goes all the way from Home Valley Station to Carson Station near Kalumburu.
We explored Carson Station in 2006 as far east as the King George River.

Slideshow.....
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/06%205%20Carson%20Station

In 2007 we drove from Home Valley to Oombulgurri (56km in 3 days), so there is still a bit in the middle we have not seen.
We looked at the Lovejoy jump-up north of Oombulgurri and I guessed that it would take us 2 or 3 days to get the 3 vehicles up it at that time and the petrol Cruisers were burning lots of fuel too, so we went back to Wyndam by barge.

Slide show and a couple of video clips...
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/07%204%20Carson%20River%20Track

I don't know what the situation with getting permits is like these days, but it was very difficult.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
FollowupID: 826122

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:06

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:06
Another great drive in the Kimberley is the Munja Track to Walcott Inlet. It starts on Mount Elizabeth Station.
It is no where near as tough as the Carson Track though. In 2005, allowing for some sight seeing along the way, I called it a "100km per day" road. It will depend very much on how much use it has had for the season and how much work Rick has done to open it after the wet.
It is a great area....

Slide show here...
http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/05%203%20Munja%20Track%20to%20Walcott%20Inlet

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 540306

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:07

Monday, Oct 13, 2014 at 23:07
Hi Mitchell
This year we set ourselves the target of going from the South Coast to the North without touching the bitumen, so....
Started at Ceduna, up Googs Track to Tarcoola and then up a few back roads to Coober Pedy (but had to do about 100km of blacktop because some tracks were prohibited entry).
Then went out via Painted Desert to Oodnadatta, and then on via Pedirka Siding to Dalhousie Springs and up to Mt Dare.
From there took a section of the Binns Track to Old Andado Station (great place), and then across to Finke and Lambert Centre.
Then up the Finke Road to the Maryvale shortcut across to Chambers Pillar, and onwards into Alice Springs for a bit of a break.
From there up the Tanami, and detoured via Balgo and Malun into Lake Gregory and Lake Stretch, coming out on the Northern end of the Canning and back on the Tanami to Halls Creek.
From there up the Duncan Road around the eastern side of the Bungles to get to Kununurra, and along the Gibb River Road (a bit more compulsory blacktop to reach the Pentecost River) before turning up the KalumburuRroad to Drysdale, King Edward River and Mitchell Plateau.
A great trip with everything from sand dunes and big rocks to gibbers and bulldust, and a bit of wet stuff for variety.
And if you want a really great 4WD side trip, take a trip across the Savannah Way from Roper Bar to Burketown and call in for a week at Lorella Springs - 1000km of fantastic and challenging private tracks to check out, all the way out to the Gulf Coast.
Enjoy !
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 540307

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 05:49

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 05:49
Hey Mitchell
Here's a few in the west for you

Dirk Hartog Island - barge from near Steep Point to the Island
Munja Track - 'westish' from Mt Elizabeth in the Kimberley
Cliff top drive Mundrabilla to Israelite Bay
Cross country from Balgo - Kwirrkurra road east to Labbi Labbi
Hanns Track - between Anne Beadell and Connie Sue

Google each and you'll find a fair bit to keep you going

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540312

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:31

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:31
And what about the Madigan Line, Mitchell?

Haven't been there, but from what I've read here, there's quite a bit of planning needed to make the trip successful.

Check posts by Robin Miller for the good oil.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 540316

Follow Up By: andoland - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:04

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:04
I'd also suggest the Madigan line. It's remote, it's beautiful, very few people do it, parts of it are challenging particularly if you been to do any offtrack driving. You'll need to be very prepared.
It is somewhat shorter than the CSR though and will only take about 10 days or so.
FollowupID: 826148

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 16:22

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 16:22
Heard from a reliable source a couple of weeks ago that Hema are about to plot the Madigan as the volume of traffic is sufficent to upgrade from "line" to " track" status.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 826165

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:16

Saturday, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:16
Mitchell

I've just returned from driving from KL in Malaysia, through China, Mongolia, and the car went to Magadan in Siberia and back to Vladivostok. That's a 22,500km journey. Great trip.

The people who I travelled with have done 45 international trips out of Malaysia over the last 20 years. Singapore to London, Silk Road, Africa, Amazon River, South America etc etc. I'd call them pretty experienced travellers!

They are very clear that the CSR had been the biggest challenge for them. Well, until the trip to Siberia was in -12°C conditions, blizzards, and the stony roads caused 43 punctures.... The driving wasn't challenging, but the physical conditions were.

The CSR was striking to them because there is no where else in the world where you can travel for so far and not come across a major town or cross road for the whole journey. Even in Siberia, they'd get a hotel after a few nights camping. The CSR road conditions that were very hard on their vehicles also tops their list in terms of mechanical challenges.

You're going to find it hard to top the CSR now, but as others have pointed out there are many other places you can travel to. We live in a wonderful country.

Tim

AnswerID: 540509

Sponsored Links