Is there a motor home to suit this . . .

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 09:45
ThreadID: 109806 Views:1965 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My sister-in-law has a few cats and would like to travel. The problem is that one has diabetes and needs daily injections so she doesn't want to leave them at home and give the responsibility to a neighbours child or friend. Please don't criticise her choice to keep the cat and look after it herself. It is still young and apart from the injections, it has a good life. The cats never go outside. Security while entering or leaving is thus a concern so no big sliding side doors.

So she is wondering about a motor home with an area that could be set up inside the van for the cats. Yet still leave enough for a small living space. She is on her own. I can also guess that heat in the enclosed van would be a problem.

Any ideas? And where would there be a good collection for her to go and look at some. She is on the south coast of NSW so Sydney and southwards would be best.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:39

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:39
Have seen some in magazines that have an outside run that is colapasble they simply put it up when camped and allow the cats into it. Have been told that overseas it is not unusual to walk cats on leads good idea, good exercise for the moggie and the human. There are pet loos that are available artificial grass area wash it out so that would cut down on carrying and disposing of kitty litter. As for leaving the animal inside on a hot day i take the motorhome would have air con so as long as you have the power source no problem. Customising a motorhome to suit shouldn't be a real problem they are just plywood and other bits a half decent tradesman would be able to shape it how she wants, most off the shelf motorhomes are designed with travel with humans only in mind, but can be changed around to suit. Probably help if you had a budget stated so it is apparent if a new build customised to what she wants or a remodel would be the go also what size van she is comfortable driving, some of Ford or VW transit vans if not wanting anything to big would be easy to set up.
AnswerID: 540319

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 14:33

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 14:33
Thanks Karl

I have passed your words on and she says thanks. She has seen a Winebago with an internal area set aside for something (I don't know what) and that gave her this idea. She doesn't have a budget at this stage so I can't help there. This is why she needs to see a motor home show or the like.

About the folding cage; Okay if attended but not if left alone. There are some real mongrel "cat haters" around.

I forgot about the air conditioning that they also have. But it would need some kind of forced 12V ventilation for when just parked outside the supermarket. Maybe one or two extra batteries and solar cells to assist. Good idea - thanks.

Excellent food for thought.
FollowupID: 826154

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:53

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 13:53
She need to find if the cat likes travel or is distressed by it. Each cat varies in its response to travel.
Some cats will howl and claw at everything in sight when they are transported - because cats are territorial and some get very fearful when being moved from home territory.

Other cats are comfortable with being transported and will settle down rapidly.
If she has the first type, travelling with it will be traumatic for both her and the cat.
She then runs the risk of the cat making a break for it at the first chance and returning home on foot.
Cats have been recorded as travelling several hundred kms to return to the place they know as "home".

Even dogs will do it. My parents, who lived at the area now known as Nollamara in Perth, gave away a young pup in the late 1940's to some people at Mundaring, in the Darling Range.
They returned home, and were awoken the next morning by scratching at the door. It was the pup!
He'd escaped shortly after they left Mundaring, and he spent all night travelling back to Nollamara!
Everyone was stunned at the distance he'd travelled overnight (around 35kms).
He had to cross the Swan River, so he must have travelled back via the road that my parents took.
AnswerID: 540332

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 15:03

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 15:03
Covered already. They just sit back and sleep or look at the passing scenerey. And not one "Are we there yet!!".
FollowupID: 826160

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:03

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:03
Apart from the obvious heat problems, having animals may restrict places you can go.

No animals in National Parks, not even allowed to stop if you have them in the vehicle, quite a lot of van parks dont allow them and as mentioned if they do get out bird life can be in danger.
AnswerID: 540353

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:22

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 18:22
She already is aware of that. Considering that at the moment all about all that she can do shopping. Even a trip to a pet friendly caravan park would be great.

Thanks
FollowupID: 826173

Reply By: Member - Russler - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:43

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:43
What about those cat or dog traveling cages, provided it will fit through the RV door? This could double as the cat's refuge (cage open), and as the place to tuck the cat away (door closed) when required. I don't know if there is a collapsible version available though.
AnswerID: 540381

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:36

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 09:36
That's what she uses in the car now. And considered as a possible solution for the RV as well. I think she wants to give them more room.

Thnaks
FollowupID: 826215

Sponsored Links