Storm Covers

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014 at 21:42
ThreadID: 109819 Views:2119 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I am in need of advise again.
What is a good brand of storm cover for a 24' van and what do you do about possible rub marking on the non glass windows ?
There is the choice of standard ones that are available in RV type stores or those especially manufactured . The latter being more expensive.
Your advise will be most worthwhile.
thanks Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris_K - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 16:50

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 16:50
Hi Bob

We got one of these made up for our pop-top. They are not cheap - but they certainly are well padded, and even cover the tyres:

http://www.caravancovers.com.au/

From memory we paid about $1600 for the cover - but they also have a "guarantee" that they are hail proof - not sure of the conditions for the "guarantee" but then again, we've never had to make a claim. I'd stay clear of the one you buy in the shop - I've looked at those, and there is a significant quality difference in terms of the amount and quality of materials used.

Cheers

Chris
AnswerID: 540400

Reply By: mbw650 - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 01:11

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 01:11
Bob, to offer an alternate opinion to Chris who I gather never owned one of the other " shop bought " caravan covers. I bought one on special at a large camping chain store, and it lasted 3 years before starting to show some wear at the seam.
I patched the area with the supplied patch kit, until I purchased a replacement cover from the same chain store ( never used it and still have it as we traded in the van ). I would recommend assessing the sort of weather conditions you are likely to encounter in your area, and make a decision based on that basis.
The multi layer construction has a softer inner felt like surface, that never scuffed or damaged the paint or the polycarbonate windows on the van in 3 years we had it. I would suspect the wind storms in southern Tasmania up to 150 ks was the culprit for the seam loosening up, but it averaged out at $ 70 per year based on the purchase price and when the van was traded we changed size and are glad we didn't over invest in a more expensive cover.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 540430

Follow Up By: Chris_K - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:08

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 16:08
Hi Mark

Yep - never owned one for our caravan - I did buy a similar one for the boat though. Good advice...if you don't need hail protection then the shop ones would probably do. You could probably buy 5-6 "shop" one's for the price of the other one!

Cheers

Chris
FollowupID: 826309

Sponsored Links