Trip to Flinders/Gammon Ranges Dec/Jan

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:09
ThreadID: 109828 Views:1998 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Planning trip from Perth to Flinders/Gammon Ranges in Christmas holidays. Having doubts regarding what to do if weather is too hot. Will be 2 families with 6 kids amongst us. Should we leave it for another better time of year?

Would Coffin Bay NP or around there be a better alternative for that time of year?

All thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Cheers
Mandi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:22

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:22
IMHO I would go to Coffin Bay even though it is more crowded at that time. Large areas that may have bush fires is not a good place to take 6 kids.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540402

Follow Up By: turbo 1 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:20

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:20
If bushfires are a concern I'd stay clear of Coffin Bay as well !
FollowupID: 826276

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:24

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 22:24
Coffin Bay is very much smaller and entry points few. Time to get out considerably less.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 826277

Reply By: Curlynan - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:33

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:33
We camped in the Flinders Ranges just before Christmas a few years back. One day it must have been 45'+ I remember waking in the middle of the night terribly dehydrated. Way too hot to enjoy these spectacular NP's. We have been back a couple of times since in June and also in October a much better time of the year. Strongly advise that if you want to enjoy this beautiful part of Australia don't go in Dec / Jan. Anywhere along the SA coast that has a good beach would be better in the summer heat. There are plenty of places in SA. As you mentioned Coffin Bay, also Streaky Bay area or Port Lincoln. You have the Eyer Peninsula or the Yorke Peninsula as well or go south of Adelaide to Victor Harbor / Robe / Normanville / Port Elliott etc.
Good luck, don't forget you may need to book asap.
AnswerID: 540403

Reply By: jdpatrol - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:35

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 17:35
I’ve once enjoyed a trip to Wilpena area in December – camped at Bunyeroo Gorge. I recall after each day of hiking that we just sat in water stream with a beer – beautiful (but don't camp in a channel - we had a flash flood come through that trip in the middle of the night after an evening of thunder). I've only been to Gammon's at Easter - spectacular area but reckon that would be a bit hot / dry mid summer. I thought you could check temp’s just before going – if going to be above 35deg most days then head to Coffin Bay. Enjoy
AnswerID: 540404

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:27

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 20:27
High probability that it will be very dry and very hot...if you have the option, April to October is best for that region.....as mentioned, the coast is a far safer bet for mid summer. I think the BOM are forecasting that this summer will be harsh.
AnswerID: 540418

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 23:10

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014 at 23:10
The west coast of the Eyre Peninsula can be cool when inland South Australia swelters. There is a lot to see on the Peninsula, and places like Streaky Bay and Elliston would be good to start with.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 540425

Reply By: Member - Chris and Lindsay - Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:59

Thursday, Oct 16, 2014 at 17:59
We were just up there 2 weeks ago. Virtually all creeks were dry. I would suggest going between April and October. Funny enough my daughter from Melbourne is heading across the Nullabor in December and I think that it will be too hot heading your way.
Nights are very cold in winter up in the Gammons but days are magic. Happy travels.
Chris
AnswerID: 540449

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 16:15

Friday, Oct 17, 2014 at 16:15
One early morning near Blinman in winter I got up to make my partner her usual morning cuppa. Opened the chest fridge lid and the temperature in it dropped!

Blinman area has a bit of altitude.
AnswerID: 540494

Sponsored Links