Locating the Strzelecki Track on the Hema 7

Hi.
We have the Hema 7 with 4wd.
Although I know the track well....I am unable to get directions or a location of the track to create a route....
Any ideas??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freshstart - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 14:59

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 14:59
I don't know what program you are using but if you know it well then why not just go to a place on the track and mark or pin that location.
AnswerID: 540551

Follow Up By: Member - YOUNG NOMADS - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:45

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:45
Street Navigation I would have thought would at least have the track on it?!!
Please excuse my ignorance, but as a person (it s irrelevant I am a she) whom has not used the 4wd part of the gps, I would have expected it to at least be able to show me directly the road I wish to travel on!
I wanted to get info/ distances/ time to destination just for a "like to know" purpose
It can locate Innaminka..but it won't load the route from Lyndhurst to Innaminka via the strez track.
If I want to do a simple trip plan using only the Street function..it seems I cannot.
What am I missing, without doing an extensive course on the EOTopo/ 4wd functions.
Our old Garmin GPS knew where the track was, and I can navigate on it....
Does that mean I must WP every spot/ pre load on the laptop, the route that I would like to travel??
Thanks
Robyn

FollowupID: 826443

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 16:22

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 16:22
Hi

You may be doing nothing wrong...It is not uncommon for "street" navigation programs not to show secondary tracks. Also if searching for roads/tracks make sure spelling is correct e.g.Strzelecki Track is often miss-spelt.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 826447

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:32

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 17:32
It doesn't come up on either my TomTom nor the street navigation program on my VMS dash navigation box for our off road trips. Neither would I expect it to. Sorry but the Strez while quite an iconic track I wouldn't expect city styled software nor it's data which they pay a lot of money for, would have it in it's data base.

I suggest that if you want off road and/or remote navigation that you get something like Oziexplorer or the Ecploroz tropo thing mentioned on this site.. We actually use Ozi when travelling through towns and cities.

We never use waypoints, just predrawn track files.

Best of luck.
FollowupID: 826456

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:10

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:10
Hello

Are you using OziExplorer or iGO ? I have no idea if iGO has the track on it...but in OziExplorer you can open the Great Desert Tracks (GDT) South East map to view the Strezlecki Track. It is also shown on the Central Australia map and the 250K NatMap.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 540553

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:17

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 15:17
Not enough info to easily give a meaningful rely.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540555

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 16:06

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 16:06
Well, why not give the lady some suggestions as to what sort of info she might need to be able to get help? This post certainly is not helpful, and in itself is just a waste of space.
OBJ
FollowupID: 826445

Reply By: Geoff N (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 22:02

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 22:02
It's probably using the Whereis database. Outside the cities, that's very dodgey. I once tried to find the distance from Lyndhurst to Innamincka on my HN5. Gave me a route via Broken Hill. Checked online - got the same answer. Tried again Lyndhurst to Birdsville. Sent me via Broken Hill and Bourke (also online). Took them years to believe that it was quicker to go from Renmark to Burra via Morgan rather than via Adelaide, and it still thinks Kulgera is at Imanpa.

There's a track file for the Strzelecki on this site - EO-T38 - but if you're serious about setting up track and routes, it's time to learn how to use OziExplorer.
AnswerID: 540568

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 23:32

Sunday, Oct 19, 2014 at 23:32
??!! bot sure what you're after....

AnswerID: 540571

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:41

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:41
Street Navigation applications are not good for off road travel.

I have invested in a new Garmin Nuvi and also purchased OzTopo to run on it.
The idea was to use it for pre-trip planning with distance calculation using the Trip Planner function within Basecamp.
A waste of time and money.
Using Garmin Basecamp on a PC, I can plan a trip as far as Mungerannie on the Birdsville Track, then when I add Birdsville as the next stop, it takes me back along the route I have already travelled, then out via Broken Hill on a road the program better understands.
It refuses to route up the remainder of the Birdsville Track and then spits the dummy and crashes, causing more problems with the PC.
The Basecamp program is designed by Americans for use in America predominantly and doesn't appear practical for the Australian bush.

Young Nomads
Get used to the 4WD OziExplorer application. You can't use it for distance planning like you can with a street navigation app (at least on major highways), but it will show you on the map exactly where you are.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540575

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 08:06

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 08:06
I agree that street navigation should be left for cities (maybe)

I only ever use ExploreOz even to go through cities. While the topo maps don't show all streets etc they do show enough to allow you to follow main routes through a town.

In the bush, I have studied the map and know my intended route. At road junctions I pay close attention to ExploreOz to see that I have taken the intended route. The software shows you where you are and use of the map zoom function quickly puts where you are in context.

You can leave a "trail" on at all times so that if you have taken a wrong turn or suddenly find the road blocked it is easy to back track out to a known road.

Navigating yourself on your own route is half the fun of the trip????

Enjoy yourself out there.

Alan
AnswerID: 540577

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 09:49

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 09:49
Do you mean Oziexplorer?. No such thing as "ExploreOz".

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 826487

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:36

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:36
Thanks Greg you are right LOL

Getting my OziExplorer and ExplorOZ mixed up.

I meant to say OziExplorer

Alan
FollowupID: 826491

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:41

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:41
If in iGo, Have you set the parameters? Try the following (This HN6 - should be the same I would think.

Opening Screen has Show Map, Find, My Route, More

Click on MORE
Click on SETTINGS
Click on ROUTE SETTINGS
Click on NAVIGATION MODE - options are ON ROAD, OFF ROAD

Select OFFROAD

I haven't used this myself for Off Road, but it is this area where you select whether you wish to avoid motorways, shortest, quickest etc.

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 540579

Follow Up By: Geoff N (NSW) - Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 20:21

Monday, Oct 20, 2014 at 20:21
'Offroad' just shows a straight line between the POIs. About as useful as tits on the proverbial.

In database terms, each datum is rated for driveability. The HN5 knows the Strzelecki Trak (sic) is there but doesn't regard it as driveable. All that's actually needed is for the rating to be changed to driveable. Maybe they just don't want to get sued by thick 2WDers.

Another example - my HN5 (Satnav mode) knows the Anne Beadell Hwy is there but can't use it in navigation calculations. Same with the western half (or thereabouts) of the Talawana.
FollowupID: 826506

Sponsored Links