Considering Air Suspension on 2009 Hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 12:21
ThreadID: 109957 Views:1544 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2009 4X4 Hilux SR ute. The well body has been replaced with a tray back and removable sides and end.

The ute is mostly used for work - I am a builder. However I can remove the sides to accommodate our slide on camper. For some trips the camper stays on and for others we slide it onto jacks and drive the car away.

I am considering installing air suspension to the rear.

I also would like to be able remove the suspension when I upgrade.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:25

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:25
Do a search for "air bags", Ali.

Just type "airbags" in the "Text Search" line above the thread list, and you'll get enough reading for a week........maybe more.

Am assuming you mean airbags, not a total replacement air suspension?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 540980

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:40

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:40
Yes - does the OP mean airbag load assistance to the standard suspension or replace the rear leaf spring suspension and replace with a air suspension similar to what many modern landrovers have.

I suspect the former. if that is the case it needs to be researched carefully as many Jap chassis cannot handle having air bags over the axle with heavy weights as damage can occur to the chassis - in a worst case the chassis breaks in two.

The reason for this is the chassis is designed to have the weight of the rear carried by the chassis at the points that the rear springs are connected to the chassis - airbags transfer much of the load to the chassis above the axle - some models may or may not be able to handle this load in this area of the chassis.

Garry
FollowupID: 826905

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:54

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 14:54
Yeah, agree with the former too, Garry.

But the wording, to me, suggests full bottle air suspension, trailing arms, air bags, compressors, valves etc.

Plenty of reading on the subject, and no doubt enough photos, to help the OP think some h/duty rear springs are the cheaper option.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 826907

Follow Up By: wholehog - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:21

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:21
Ali, just go buy a ute that is going to do the task you require..maybe a Landcruiser.
FollowupID: 826931

Sponsored Links