House sitting

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 19:50
ThreadID: 109967 Views:2075 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone here done any house sitting? May have an opportunity to house sit at Quorn for 3 months next year. Wondering what you would normally be responsible for. E.g. Electricity costs. Happy to look after the garden walk the dog. I know it is probably an individual thing, but just after you input.

Thanks

Russ
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:24

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:24
Greetings - we have been house and farm sitting while in Queensland - basically look after house and any animals - no cost - easier for owner to have someone sit than pay for animal care outside the house. We have thoroughly enjoyed it, but believe a couple of weeks is enough once the local sites have been covered but that is just us.
Good experience and good way to save on park fees - cheers.

SCOEY
AnswerID: 540997

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:58

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 20:58
Thanks, have received a couple of very helpful responses. Have spoken to the people looking for a house sitter & all seems pretty good.

Thanks for your help.

Russ

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 541004

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 21:23

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 21:23
Hi Russ,
There are a few housesitting websites and they will give you a feel for how things are done. The one we use is Aussie Housesitters http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/
We have used housesitters a number of times and have had good outcomes. A few years ago we used to charge a bit for electricity and phone. Now we dont worry about either - most people have their own phone anyway, and we do say in our written agreement that we reserve the right to charge for excessive use, but its never come to that.

We do set out in writing the things we want done (nothing difficult or onerous), mainly looking after the dog and other farm animals, collecting (and sometimes forwarding) mail, keeping the place clean and secure etc. That way everyone is clear about what has been agreed. Good housesitters seem to be very much in demand.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 541007

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:22

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:22
thanks Val, you have been very helpful.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827016

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 09:03

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 09:03
3 months does seem like a long time - however there is a lot to do in the area. Especially if you head off on little overnight trips. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 541023

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:26

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 18:26
Yes it does Toni. I am an off road bike rider and have some sections of the Mawson trail to ride, so hope to do this. Some one else in the town is prepared to be back up dog sitter if need be. Also have a friend in the town. All sounds pretty good. Will probably end up doing it.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827017

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 at 07:40

Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 at 07:40
We have been house sitting, caravan park cleaning/gardening & Over 55's village caretakers in our 5 years on the road. We have looked after places in NSW and Queensland, mostly country towns.
Our longest sit was 6 months in Berrigan NSW. No animals just look after home, gardens and lawns.
We travel with 2 small dogs and that limits us sometimes.
We don't pay for anything but we don't over use anything ever. We have our own phones and internet modem.
We have made some great friends doing this and have enjoyed the situations as they happen. Even when a cat decided it didn't like us and went AWOL and I had to spend several nights wondering around busy city streets trying to get it to come home. Succeeded after 3 nights too.
Our advice is make sure you understand what the owners want and expect and ten JUST DO IT.
Good luck enjoy
AnswerID: 541070

Sponsored Links