Recommendation - Satellite phone hire

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2014 at 21:43
ThreadID: 109969 Views:2186 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I just want to give a plug for a company I recently hired a sat phone from - I don't think this is against forum rules? Apologies if it is...

I just spent a few weeks on Cape York and decided to take a sat phone with me just in case. I hired it through Satellite Hire Australia and they were so helpful and easy to deal with. They arranged to deliver it to me a few days before the start date I asked for at no extra charge so I could test it and make sure it connected OK etc. They also provided a courier bag so I could just drop it off at Toll at Cairns airport to return it. I got back to Cairns earlier than expected and so returned it before the end date that I had paid for - I didn't ask for a refund for the extra days I didn't use, but a couple of days later I receive an email with a receipt for the reimbursement for the early return.

I was seriously impressed by how easy they made the whole process - so if you're needing to hire a sat phone anytime, I highly recommend these guys.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard L8 - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:41

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:41
Cheers Tommo

My wife & I were only talking the other day about looking into hiring a sat phone or purchasing one for our trip & didn't really know where to start. This info/feedback is most appreciated.

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 541026

Reply By: Member - BRAD n JENNY - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 17:11

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 17:11
I looked at renting a sat phone for our outback trip just recently and found the cost expensive so I bought a fully refurbished Globalstar for $385.00@$15.00/month to keep it connected so I've got it always with us.
AnswerID: 541043

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 17:37

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 17:37
Have done the same.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827011

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 19:51

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 19:51
Probably a good idea for your good selves, but I'm stuck behind a desk 11 months a year trying to save enough money for another trip, so by the time I'm somewhere remote again it's probably old technology.

Plus I really know nothing about them and couldn't be bothered doing the research, so was happy to pay the $18/day and have all the hard work done for me. Money well spent for my situation.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 827026

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 20:04

Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 at 20:04
There is nothing wrong with Tommo's thinking. Its horses for courses.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827028

Sponsored Links