More rain in the Kimberley

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 15:21
ThreadID: 10999 Views:1677 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We got 65 mm rain yesterday and have now had about 1,100 mm for the wet so we have gone over the average. If it was widespread, which it may have been as I was told it rained all day yesterday in Kununurra and in the other direction Kuri Bay got 118 mm last night, then the Drysdale could come up.
I saw someone put up ‘bog’ photos last week, how was that done? If the river comes up high and anyone is interested I will try to put up a photo for you to see what it’s like when you can’t cross it. I may have trouble though with photos as our radio repeater phone line is SO SO slow, but I can try.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:00

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:00
Great news about the rain Anne - guess you are like us, doesn't matter how much or how little - all rain is good. Can't help you with the "bog" phot but Andrew of Andrew & Jen fame (infamous, more like it?) is busy on here this afternoon - he helped me with my photos so could probably assist. It's really nice to find out what's happening in other parts of this great country.
AnswerID: 49145

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:43

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:43
Hi Ruth,
Almost all rain but a few years back it looked to be a low wet and an early start to the season, so we got in the staff at start of April to get ready to go. About the 10 th April a late cyclone went past and the Drysdale Crossing ended up 27 ft deep. Fell fast and heavy and between the water and road damage the Gibb River Road road and the Kalumburu to us didn't open until the 9 th June, latest I have seen. Not only were all the poor tourists very upset, so were we with staff here for 6 weeks waiting for the road to open. Was one of the few times I can recall when we didn't think good rain. Oh there was another time, 1986 our first year here, our very first muster, yards up , choppers here to muster in morning and overnight it dumped 75mm of winter rain on us on about the 20 th June. We had trucks bogged and all sorts of mess and had to call off the muster and pay the chopper ferry for nothing.
One thing I love the most about up here we may get a small or a big wet season in our time, 600mm lowest / 1500mm highest but you always know you WILL get a wet and the river will run. After prior years in the Pilbara a nice change it was, now I'm spolit.
cheers, Anne

FollowupID: 311005

Follow Up By: locallaw - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:13

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:13
Gidday Anne,Just an enquiry.Is Pam Dempster still there.The reason I ask is that I live in Mackay and Pam also comes from here.We were up that way last year and ran into her at Drysdale.Have been up that way twice now and will be comeing back.Keep the feet dry.
Allthe best
Martin.
FollowupID: 311017

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:35

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:35
Great to hear Anne, imagine that first year though - you must have wondered what you'd got yourselves in for. In 2000 when we had the big flood(not quite as big as this) the waters were going done, all staff on board in town, visitors arriving - and bingo, three inches of rain on Anzac Day. Not much rain really but on top of the wet ground and floods enough to hold things up for ages. Keep us posted.
FollowupID: 311100

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 18:24

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 18:24
Not sure what the bog shots were like. Your stuff might be different as you are a company and there is a link to your website but I am sure David would help you since you are a customer! See you one day!
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 49161

Reply By: Mick - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:21

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 08:21
Hi Anne, im still going to try to get up your way some time in April or May, might have to take my time going up through the Tanami.
I wrote to you about a job, but i guess i'l look in the mines, as im a Caterpillar mechanic by trade, or try some other station.
Im only going to work up there for the experience, just something ive wanted to do for a while, but now dont have too much time, as always!!
Ive always wanted to see the Kimberley after the wet, i think it will be beuatiful.
AnswerID: 49229

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:10

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:10
Hi Mick,
Look forgive me but I had a crash with my computer and lost some of my mail. I had them re job both from this site and other places where I put up notices. Quite a few e-mails in fact. In them surprisingly there were several Micks / Michaels, in them there was for example one not comming till 05 another to whom I could not provide a suitable job to his travel companion.
As I said forgive me but which one were you ? I just can't recall who said exactly what. Can you email me direct again and clear it up for me please, I wouldn't have knocked back a mechanic unless there was a good reason we couldn't suit each other.
If you don't have direct mail address just go to our web site and get it again.
thanks, Anne
FollowupID: 311126

Reply By: Member - Paul - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 00:14

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 00:14
Bet you would have liked the Pilbara recently Anne. I come from Wickham and earlier in the week we topped the state for a 24hr period of 213mm. Dam over flowing , rivers at peak , highway cut, fun and games down this way but now everything going green. BEAUTIFUL. Hope to get out to Karajini at easter shouold still be plenty of water about.

Cheers and cold beers
Clarky
AnswerID: 49420

Sponsored Links