Digital Voltmeter AND Ampmeter!!

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 16:40
ThreadID: 11000 Views:4949 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey, all you forumites, for all those who are chasing a digital ampmeter, I was in Jaycar today, and as well as the fabulous voltmeter-cum-temp guage (XC0116, currently on special $29.95), they have a new combination voltmeter and ampmeter with built-in shunt. Reads to 200A. All for $49.95. Cat QP5550.
Only hitch is that it's really meant to be installed in-line with your heavy DC cabling, so it wouldn't be visible from the dashboard, but would probably be fine in a caravan/motorhome. But the good thing is that the covers can be removed, the circuit board with the displays can be unscrewd, and the board/display could be mounted separately from the shunt module (3 wires needed to extend it, and the board/display would need a new protective box).
This is a really neat module - check it out http://www.jaycar.com.au
Gerry

should be getting a commision for all these plugs....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian Bee - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:05

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:05
Spent five years looking for it!!!!!

What KEYWORD do we type in to cut to the chase?

Cheers

Ian
AnswerID: 49150

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:16

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 19:16
Tis alrite. I found it!!!

So, I can use this in series with the 6.0 mm. cables my auto electrician fitted to charge my batteries?

Cheers

Ian
FollowupID: 311018

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:22

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:22
Ian,

I've been lookin' & lookin'.

Can you help me with the key word, or what to look under?

I've never found it so hard to find something that I know is there.

Thanks
Brian
(Sydney)
FollowupID: 311038

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:30

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 20:30
Yep found it.

Entered the 'cat number' - QP5550 - into the 'keyword search', and it worked.

Thanks anyway.
Brian
(Sydney)
FollowupID: 311042

Follow Up By: joc45 - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:26
Yes, if using a ampmeter to monitor the battery, connect it in series with the actual lead going to the battery, with no extra wires on the battery terminal; ie, all battery current must go thru the meter. The shunt (the bit you bolt the big wires to) in the meter is apparently meant for 200A continuous, so it should take at least twice that for starting or winching.
Given the myriad of wires connecting directly to the main battery terminal on some wagons, you'd be best served just using this on the aux battery only.
Inside the meter, there is a shunt and a circuit board with two LED displays. There are two solid posts coming up from the shunt, which support the circuit board. These double up as connections from each end of the shunt to supply the board. If separating the board from the shunt to give you a remote meter, I'd use about 2 sq mm wire from each post to the board in case there is an extra shunt on the board. Didn't manage to look too closely at the board to see if this was the case. An earth is also required.
Gerry
FollowupID: 311059

Reply By: Justin - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:20

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:20
Just a quick one on the voltmeter-temp guage, I have compared the digital temp gauge to a analogue gauge and at the lowest setting, 7 on the waeco the digital reads -9.5deg and the analogue -13.5deg, 4deg difference! At say -3deg and higher the units seem to read the same though. Waeco say that the FF90 will freeze to -15deg, so teh analogue appears right, and it has just been calibrated. Does anyone have this problem with theirs or did I get a dud?
AnswerID: 49155

Follow Up By: Roachie - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:55

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 17:55
Justin,
I've just ordered one on the net. I curently have a Radio Shack inside/outside jobbie on the dash. The sensor is stuck to the inside of the engel fridge and usually shows around 4 to 5 degrees, but the drinks are always almost frozen (because they sit on the floor of the fridge I guess). Even so, that's a big difference in my fridge (ie: 5 degrees at the top and o degrees or less at the bottom).
Basically I'm not too worried about what the temp shows as long as I can see whether it's out of the "normal range". What I mean is that if it's showing 5 degrees I know that everything inside will be nice and cold. If a plug comes loose and the thing stops working half way through a stinking hot day, then I'll see the temp go up to 10 or 15 degrees and will have to have a look to see what's wrong.
With your little test, were the sensors for the 2 thermometers both in the same spot in the fridge?
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 311007

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 00:11
Roachie,

I initally started with them anywhere in the fridge but the last 10 or so observations I have made sure they were in the same spot. I will do a little more testing but this avo when I got home the analogue was on +4deg and the digital was +6deg. I believe the analogue as it is close to the waeco specs. I am considering taking it back to try another one but what do you expect for $30 - and you are right it will do the job!
Cheers
FollowupID: 311089

Sponsored Links