2.5 diesel versus 2 litre petrol

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 12:57
ThreadID: 110008 Views:1859 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of purchasing a Navarra 2.5 litre diesel. Currently I have a X Trail 2.5 litre Petrol and it pulls our Jayco 16 ft Journey ok but a bit underpowered on some hills.How much more power can I expect from a 2.5 diesel as against a 2.5 Petrol. Thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 13:28

Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 13:28
Without looking at specs you will probably have less power (power essentially determines top speed - torque is pulling ability) in the diesel but a much better torque curve - lower revs and much flatter.

This will generally mean the diesel will be a better tow vehicle and give better fuel consumption and with the constraints of speed limits etc go just as fast as a petrol when not towing.

Garry
AnswerID: 541175

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 14:47

Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 14:47
A diesel, especially the new turbo inter cooled jobbies will definitely give you better fuel figures when towing and are not that much behind their petrol cousins with reference to power these days.
Either call into your local dealer and pick up a cataldog, or have a look on line. They usually have all the specs for both models as well as transmission gearing ratios which is also important when considering the best tow option.
In practical terms you will generally find petrol will outperform an equivalent diesel but at the cost of more fuel.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 541176

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 16:51

Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 16:51
I don't know if they still do it but Nissan had a derated version of the 2.5 diesel they put in one of the Navarra Models. It was way down on power from the 2.5 they put in the upper level navarras. The derated version didn't have an intercooler and some other gear.
AnswerID: 541180

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 20:46

Saturday, Nov 01, 2014 at 20:46
If you are buying a avara, make sure the ride height is even above the rear tyres. Many are NOT and the chassis is bent FROM NEW, supplied that way by Nissan Aust.
I have mentioned this before and personally aware/seen a number of them. They may tow OK but some of the ancillaries let them down.
I have pics and VINs of two brand new ones, both of which hang the tub down on the RHS rear corner.

Cam chains OFTEN kark it, at below 60,000km and Nissan are extremely reluctant to honour the warranty of something which should last 260,000 before any significant trouble.
Many Many Navara 2.5litre engines have had the chain and drives changed well before 100,000km. Just plain poor rubbish quality.

Customers are often told it is drive belt noise and they are happy the change the drive belts to make you go away. Later you realize you have been conned. That is the MO of the system. Beware!!!
AnswerID: 541189

Reply By: swampfox - Sunday, Nov 02, 2014 at 08:17

Sunday, Nov 02, 2014 at 08:17
Hi
A comparison u will need the dyno sheets .Pick the one with the fatest torque curve at the rpm u operate the vehicle at .
A comparison similar to the diesel choice u r doing is the choice between the 2 early ranger engines 2.5, 3.0 ltr . The 3ltr makes 20-30 % more torque .The fuel economy is the same when under load . The smaller engine requires far more gear changing . The smaller engine needs far more revs to operate .

swampfox
AnswerID: 541201

Reply By: tom 2 - Sunday, Nov 02, 2014 at 15:09

Sunday, Nov 02, 2014 at 15:09
hi johno we recently purchased the d40 navara 2.5 which we upgraded from a 4.0 lt rtv falcon ute and I find the navara tows better and cheaper and is not like a truck around town we tow a 18ft coromal and can sit comfy at 95km on the highway but still has the balls to overtake if req its no rocket on start off but im good with that as far as hills most will pull over in 5th dropping back to 85ish or the bigger ones I drop back to 4th and still get over at 85ish
as you can probably gather I would highly recommend the navara d40 cheers mate
AnswerID: 541224

Sponsored Links