Hard Shell Roof Top Tent on Ute

Hi all,

I'm back considering Roof Top tents again (I still like my centre pole touring tent).

I have had a look at the James Baroud Tents and can't really fault them except for the width. They would hang a fair way over my Hilux canopy. The tent is 1450mm wide and my roof rack is only 1236mm wide.

The Maggiolina's have an excellent reputation (other than the price). They have models that are 1300mm wide.

The question I have is that my Hilux has a steel canopy with Rhino Tracks and a Pioneer Roof Platform. The Roof Platform is 1236mm (W) * 1528mm (L). The Rhino Feet that are holding the platform are only about 1100mm apart.

This would mean that more than half the length of the roof top tent would not be supported. I estimate that 1M of the Roof Top Tent will be hanging over the platform. The last section of the platform that is supported by the Rhino feet is around 500mm from the front edge of the Rhino Platform.

My option is to have another Rhino Track installed on the Cabin part of the ute, this way the Roof top tent is fully supported. I have read that it's not advisable to fasten long loads between the Canopy section and the Cabin.

Does anyone have any experience with work arounds for securing long loads between the Cabin of a Ute and the Canopy?

This would be quite an expensive project and as I'm planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time it will be travelling the usual corrugated tracks and the last thing I want is issues.

Thanks in advance
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 17:28

Tuesday, Nov 04, 2014 at 17:28
You definitely will have problems if you connect anything rigid between racks on your tub and your cabin.
The amount of flex and movement between the two is substantial so you will need to decide on mounting off one or the other but not both.
AnswerID: 541297

Reply By: Grizzle - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 13:36

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 13:36
A friend of mine did it with a Hilux. Had the third bar on the cab and packed it up with high density foam to the underside of the capsule. (Maggiolina style Capsule tent). Worked really well.
Hope this picture gives you the idea

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541329

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 16:15

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2014 at 16:15
Grizzle, yeah I've been thinking of a response to this thread a while - been scratching my head - the only answer I could come up with is to put a bar on the cab but not fasten the RTT down - a good bit of supporting rubber would allow flex while travelling, but be enough to support the shell when being used.

Seems like the idea works...
FollowupID: 827435

Reply By: Phil P - Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 07:32

Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 07:32
Thanks for your suggestions, I think the safest option is to buy a canvas type Roof Top tent. That way it will easily fit on the canopy bars. Just more work setting up & packing up.

AnswerID: 541354

Sponsored Links