Shared acts of stupidity

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 16:36
ThreadID: 110058 Views:3931 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I was travelling north of Curra on the Bruce Highway a few hours ago and witnessed a person in a white AWD travelling south with his arm fully extended out the drivers window holding a Phone camera, possibly recording a Semi following him about 5 to 10 metres behind. While I do not know what speed they were doing, though it appeared to be around 80Km/h or who committed the first act of provocation, but I believe both drivers were guilty of acting extremely stupid and feel that one act does not justify the other.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 18:18

Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 18:18
Natural selection might take care of the problem.

One-handed driving ain't easy.
AnswerID: 541361

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 20:26

Thursday, Nov 06, 2014 at 20:26
It'd be good to see him drop the phone.

FollowupID: 827484

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:09

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:09
Gday
Maybe the AWD should get out of the way and let the truckdriver do his job .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541368

Follow Up By: Member - ken m4 - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:44

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 07:44
I agree with that sentiment but it is a dangerous way of the truckdriver emphasizing that point, and yes eightymatey it would have been great to see the other driver loose the camera
FollowupID: 827488

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:20

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:20
I have driven that poxy highway a few times, every time I have had a truck driver sit on my tail and do their best to push me off the road, well guess what the closer they get the less I try to help them on there way, I do a good job of it too.

I do eventually let them by, when I believe it is safe, not when they think they can force me to do so, the best part is when they have their bosses phone # plastered all over the back of the truck, using hands free, I generally have a good conversation with their boss or ops manager about their drivers achievements, I then take great delight in calling the truckie up on the two way and let him know what he should expect to here when he returns to his depot.

I make no apologies for this.
FollowupID: 827493

Reply By: Iza B - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 08:20

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 08:20
Probably trying to get signal. Where are the coppers when they are needed?

Iza
AnswerID: 541370

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 09:00

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 09:00
You should see the ski slopes these days, with skiers and boarders holding up a pole with a camera on the end, doing video selfies as they go down the hill. Narcissists producing vids with zero production values.
AnswerID: 541373

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:48

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 10:48
GoPro zero production value hey.
FollowupID: 827495

Follow Up By: Penchy - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:25

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:25
how is this even remotely related to the OP?
FollowupID: 828475

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 12:39

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 12:39
Maybe he was taking a shot of the scenery ??
Maybe the truckie hadn't done anything ??

What's the old saying about assuming ??
AnswerID: 541392

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 12:48

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 12:48
Whatever the purpose, down in Vic that was illegal behaviour and I'd venture to say anywhere it was stupid as per the OP.
FollowupID: 827500

Follow Up By: Member - ken m4 - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 16:01

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 16:01
The truckdriver was way too close to the AWD for safe braking in an emergency. As stated in first post, stupid acts by both drivers
FollowupID: 827504

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 14:47

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 14:47
Travelling North from Coffs Harbour, before daylight, few years back when a semi caught up with us. It was raining lightly, and we're following another truck a few hundred metres ahead. Old Mate drove right up behind us, so close that the d/side mirror was just all d/s headlight, nothing else. No uhf at the time either so couldn't make any nice suggestions, or recommendations about his skills.

Anyway he got past, and was then caught behind the other truck. At next overtaking lane, up a rise, made use of the loud pedal and got past both of them.

Most of these blokes are on tight schedules but there's no excuse for intimidating behaviour. With many people having smart phones these days, it's not hard for a passenger to video the truckie's harassment and pass it on to the employer, ........or the police.

Driving between the Isa and Cloncurry, I've often been passed by cars, going over double lines, in some tight situations. Were advised in a memo from the "bosses" that if we were to see such behaviour to record it on the truck camera. Have done a few recordings, but never heard back if the footage was passed onto the authorities.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541393

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 12:31

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 12:31
Bob, I watched a classic piece of idiocy on the Kwinana Freeway about 10kms South of Perth a couple of years ago.
I was travelling in the left-hand lane at 85kmh where the Freeway was down to 2 lanes. The speed limit is 100kmh.

A bloke with a tandem drive prime mover pulling an empty tri-axle semi-tipper was sitting in the RH lane also at about 85kmh and blocking others from overtaking.
There was an impatient bloke behind the semi-tipper in a Rodeo traytop who was obviously fuming at not being able to travel at freeway speed.

The second there was a big enough gap to get around the semi-tipper on the left, the bloke in the ute did so.
He roared around him on the left, then pulled back in front of the semi-tipper and promptly proceeded to slow down!

The truckie played the equivalent idiot by getting right up the Rodeos rear.
Next thing, the imbecile in the Rodeo hit the brakes - hard!!
The bloke in the truck hit the brakes as well, the semi-tipper locked up all wheels, and the trailer broadsided across the freeway into my lane!!

Luckily, they were now far enough ahead of me to not be a problem.
However, it could have been a total disaster if any vehicle had been close to either one of the idiots!

I was so shocked at the idiocy that I failed to take note of the number plates - but I gave both idiots a wide berth for the rest of the drive. The bloke in the Rodeo sped up and vanished into the distance anyway.

In all the years I've been driving, I don't think I've ever seen a more idiotic display of poor driving behaviour - by two matching idiots - and one of whom is expected to be a professional driver.

I find that many truck drivers are guilty of driving too closely to smaller vehicles, and I fail to understand why the police don't penalise them more.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 827526

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 15:20

Saturday, Nov 08, 2014 at 15:20
Would have got the adrenaline flowing, Ron!!! :-)

A few B-Double lads seem to get up to a bit of mischief........they've got the speed and a degree of manoeuvrability, to cause a bit of harassment.

Prefer a fair gap behind most little ones.......you just don't know what they're likely to do if they feel too intimidated. Seem to recall we were advised, by "them that signs the cheques", that we should be observing a 3-4 second gap, to any vehicle in front. Even more in the rain.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827536

Reply By: Karen H8 - Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 22:21

Friday, Nov 07, 2014 at 22:21
Really some people go crazy and do anything they want...

Nice one... :)
AnswerID: 541407

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:55

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:55
In this day and age ya just don't know who has a dash cam...and the better ones have an additional input for a rear camera.

They are getting cheaper....maybe we will end up like the russians....they just love dash cams

cheers
AnswerID: 541473

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:58

Sunday, Nov 09, 2014 at 20:58
That is because they have to prove who is at fault to make an insurance claim.
FollowupID: 827569

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 07:59

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 07:59
I had a very close call saturday near Meryla State Forest. Two young idiots in Hilux utes came screaming down a little hill with a bend at the bottom. They were going too fast to make the corner and were standing on their brakes, not good on a corner. I was on the corner with them sliding straight at me. One of them by this time was completely side on half way through a 180 spin with his ute tray heading directly for my driver windscreen (the ute was lifted). I actually accelerated and headed for the bush off the side of the road and I missed them by a few centimetres. They ended up in various states of disarray after spinning their 180's. I wish I did have a dash cam as some evidence. The stupidity was monumental.
AnswerID: 541485

Sponsored Links