Windorah-Cooper creek

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 12:48
ThreadID: 110098 Views:4114 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, Im planning a trip up to Windorah with my miss for a great adventure in January. We will be driving from Sydney, yes It is a long drive but I got some question to ask?

How long does it take to get there from Sydney?

Whats the roads like since im in a sedan?

Is the fishing good up that way?

Is there water there?

Can we catch yabbies there too?

I'm a newbie to this type of adventure and would like to explore more of this great country but first would like professional assistance from users who have been there and can shred some light.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 13:15

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 13:15
Michael,

It is close to 1700km from Sydney to Windorah via sealed roads.

Fishing is dependent on the amount of water in the Cooper Creek, most months that contain an "R" are good times to get yabbies' as well.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 541497

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 14:11

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 14:11
Hi Michael,
You could do it in 2 long days driving but 3 day makes it easy.Bourke the first day then an easy drive to Charleville then Windorah.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541508

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 16:39

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 16:39
There should be plenty of camping spots for you out there. It's too hot for most of us in January Wikndorah Climate
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 541516

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:24

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:24
It would be two long days but better if you could spread it over three or at least another 1/2 day. You could even go beyond (turn west at) Charleville and can pull up almost anywhere off the road on that road, either side of Quilpie when you need to. Then there's a free riverside camp just before you come into Windorah and if you go over the bridge, you'll see it and I think you can camp either side of the river, from memory. About 10 ks before Windorah.

I don't know if you have gps but they (and the online trip calculator thingies) haven't picked up the Hunter Expressway yet and that saves you half an hour because you go past the Cessnock turning and a good way on, before taking the turn onto the Expressway - probably posted Branxton, Musswellbrook. Otherwise it's a bit of a drag through Cessnock.

A bit warm in January though.
AnswerID: 541518

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:31

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 17:31
btw, I don't know if you've travelled on dirt roads before but this is a decent surface as dirt roads go, so you won't have any problems. Just keep your speed down because if you need to stop suddenly, well, you just won't....you'll go into a long skid and just hope there's nothing in the way for you to skid into. Also, quite a bit of this road is single lane bitumen, which means if a truck is coming the other way (and they will) just pull completely off the road and let them go by. Let them have the bitumen to pass you on. You'll only lose one minute - the alternative is to get showered with gravel and you won't know what's hit you and your car won't be a pretty sight afterwards.
FollowupID: 827637

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:47

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:47
If I was leaving Sydney I would be heading to Dubbo them Bourke rather going up the M1 to Cessnock. A lot less traffic and once your pastNarromine it's a flat straight road to Bourke.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 827664

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:41

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:41
Agree with Andy, re route through Bourke/Cunnamulla.

Always the option to come up one way and back the other, for a change of scenery.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827671

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 13:27

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 13:27
Yep, that's the way we go - through Bourke/Cunnamulla - you don't go through Cessnock. The Expressway misses it. Branxton, then Golden Hwy to Dubbo and north to Bourke. Gunnedah is less mileage but hillier.
FollowupID: 827676

Reply By: Michael A20 - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 18:22

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 18:22
Is the fishing good during January? What sort of fish will be caught?
AnswerID: 541520

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 20:50

Monday, Nov 10, 2014 at 20:50
Michael,

Saying Windorah and January together is like saying ammonium nitrate and diesel, or matches and petrol.........all pretty volatile. :-)

As others have said, take up to 3 days, and smell a few roses on the way. Make sure you have good tyres, and make sure cooling system and aircon are all good. Probably wouldn't hurt to take, say 10L of petrol, and at least same amount, or more of water.

Days and nights will be hot!!! Here are phone numbers of 2 places in Windorah where you can get an air conditioned room if it gets too hot.

Cooper Cabins: 07 46563101

Western Star Hotel/Motel: 07 46563166. You should be able to get a feed at the pub too.

This is where you'll be fishing and camping........Plenty of spots to camp around the bridge. Just take care where there's any loose sand, you don't want to spend good fishing time digging out your car.

Don't know what the fishing will be like. Meet some friends last week that had been fishing at Diamantna Lakes and didn't catch much. The ranger suggested that because oxygen levels are down, the fish tend to hang on the bottom of the holes, and don't take the baits.

As far as roads go, it is all bitumen right to Windorah, as long as you go through Charleville. As Steve said the "highway" from Charleville to Windorah is single lane most of the way, so it pays to pull right off the bitumen well before you are about to pass a road train.Quilpie is a good spot to overnight, if you need too.

No mobile phone coverage at Windorah or Quilpie either.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541529

Reply By: Greg D1 - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 07:15

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 07:15
You will need to keep an eye on the weather. If the rains come i North Qld then you could be isolated in one of these towns as the flood waters come down and spread out. Google Windorah floods or Charleville floods

Safe Travels

Greg
AnswerID: 541533

Follow Up By: mike39 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 09:40

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 09:40
If you want to add to your adventure go straight ahead from Quilpie to Eromanga, the town "furthest from the sea" in Australia.
As well as cattle and sheep this is opal and oil country.
Before you get to Eromanga there is an oil well pumping right beside the road and in town there is a refinery producing diesel and industrial solvents.
There is good information on the opal mining and the dinosaur fossil finds in the area.
The road across to the main Windorah road crosses the Kyabra waterhole, good camping and fishing if the water is running.
Scotty at the pub will give you some good info, he is also an opal miner.
If you have Telstra next g you should have phone service in Quilpie and you will also get reception at the Grey Range turn off to Eromanga.
Have a good trip whatever you decide.
mike
FollowupID: 827755

Sponsored Links