ranger

have a px ranger,the drivers seat is giving me a very sore back.have to take panadene fort,the lumbar support only helps a little,any ideas or suggestions please,had a quote for a recaro seat ,about 3000 dollars,then it might not help a lot,it would be a gamble,thanks for future answers bye barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OBJ - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:46

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:46
I also have problems with back ache after a long drivel My car is a Toyota Landcruiser, whose seats are more like sitting on a brick wall ...

I bought a thing called "Back Joy" at the chemist shop about a year ago and have found it has significantly reduced my back pain. It forces you to sit correctly. I used to slowly slide down in my seat, then get back up again. Works for me.

Back Joy link.

OBJ
AnswerID: 541547

Follow Up By: Winner W - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:55

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 19:55
BARRY, have you tried the seat in the Wildtrak ? I sold my Triton because the seat was killing me after 40 mins. I can drive a whole day in the Wildtrak with no back ache and it was a major box to tick for me when I picked a new dual cab.You may be able to source one cheaper than a Recaro but go and try it in the Ford dealership for half an hour or so. It may be an easy fit with the wiring and it is heated as well .
FollowupID: 827680

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:16

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 19:16
Barry, I am a bit puzzled as I have a BT50 and assumed they have the same seats. Mine is brilliant and in the past had suffered from aching back in my troopy, but the BT50 is a dream.
I have the base 4wd model, not either of the 2 upmarket models, so either they have different seats to the ford or I am lucky and the seat just fits my back.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 827723

Reply By: MARIC - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:12

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:12
Hi Barry,
Many years ago I had a recaro seat put in a HJ60 Toyota Cruiser, found it hard not much give but reasonably comfortable, I now sit on a soft sponge pillow and sometimes shove it next to my back.
I know your feeling I'm on the Pandol forte 2 in the morning and 2 at night, or another painkiller is Tramadol 100mg not supposed to be addictive.

good luck in your search
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541551

Follow Up By: noggins - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:46

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 21:46
Good luck on the Tramadol not being addictive .
Chap I know with a bad back and fusions was on them for pain relief.

Imagine his surprise when he found out that Yes They're Not Addictive, but just a drug of Dependency
Which is like saying an alcoholic isn't an alcoholic because they only drink 1 slab of lite beer a day.

When he was put onto a tens type of machine that took care of the pain he had a hell of a job giving up the tramadol

Of course it's your choice and pain ( which I know is a very personal thing ) but be warned about tramadol and check with your Doc
Or even better GOOGLE IT

Ron
FollowupID: 827683

Follow Up By: MARIC - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:15

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:15
Hi Ron, the Doctor has prescribed it tramadol, but I find 2X100ml of 2004 cab merlot the best before bed, less side effects .... used to have a vineyard at Margaret River and when we left took with us 3 pallets of cartons each pallet has 64 cartons so I reckon now I'm 68, I should be an alcoholic by the time I'm 75 ;o))
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

FollowupID: 827685

Follow Up By: MARIC - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 00:58

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 00:58
Barry another thought i a lambs wool seat cover,has helped me
Rgds Ric

FollowupID: 827748

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 22:15

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 22:15
I had my seat recovered (LC HZJ105 1999) and the upholsterer put in a pump up lumbar support which has solved the problem for me. It is totally adjustable, and jumping out every hour for a walk around is easy …. it used to take a minute or so to ease the stiffness out of my back.

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 541553

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:03

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2014 at 23:03
Barry,

We also had pump up lumbar supports fitted to front seats of an 80 series Landcruiser. Certainly made a big difference to pretty ordinary seats.

Just did a Google on after market seats and found 2 outlets that might help you.

Seatsrus and Seats4cars. Also have a look at ISRI, who make truck, bus and other seats, though they maybe a bit big to fit in a Ranger? Know the seats my employer uses in his trucks are supposedly $4.5K each! :-)

I'd be looking at the angles of the standard seat too, in case a bit of adjustment somewhere might ease your discomfort. Nothing worse than back pain while in a vehicle.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 827684

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:26

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:26
I am a Recaro fan.
My wife suffered a slipped disc some years ago and found it hard to sit for long distances.
I bought 2 second hand Recaro Experts for less than $1000 13 years ago and fitted them to my Range Rover and she could sit for an 800KM day. Similarly with me.
I then transferred them to my Disco 2, although I recently replaced them with never used but NOS electric backrest models for $ 750 .

You have to be aware of several things with newer cars.

The seat mounts are the most difficult and expensive part of the exercise unless Recaro ( Ideal Seats in Melbourne) already make an approved mount for the Ranger.

If you have seat belt pretensioners , then you will have to somehow retain the mechanism .
If you have side airbags , then you would have to do without them. Dealers in UK sell a resistor that spoofs the ECU.
It is a requirement for legality that you have an engineer's report on the seat bases , unless Recaro produce an approved base.

In my case I did a very difficult adaptation of the standard mounts as the seat in a D2 is integral with the base, so I had to cut the seat off the base above the seat belt mount and pretensioner mount and design and make runners for the Recaros.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 541560

Reply By: Member - Balvenie Pastoral - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 13:19

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 13:19
Not by the Book !

Perhaps look to another vehicle for a seating solution, for instance Volvo XC90 seats fit snugly into the Prados of the last decade or so. The latest model is OK but the earlier ( 90 series,120 & earlier 150 series) had seats more akin to a 20 litre oil drum. My back trouble was quite severe and it got that way that I didn’t care any more about legalities, though I did get my insurance company to note the change. The change for me , and everyone who sat in the car, was dramatic, even the Toyota dealership was impressed with the comfort. One word of warning, speak to someone who knows (Panel Beaters are best) about correct way to deal with air bags…. you don’t want to set them off ! Advice no 2. is when you first turn on the ignition, having fitted new seats…. do it through the window, from the outside, incase the airbags don’t like it. A pair of Volvo seats cost about $600.
I should point out to all those who are hooked up on the legalities & regulations, and inappropriate postings that if you have a chronic back condition… you just don’t care..., It can be that bad...... Relief is everything.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 541619

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 13:47

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 13:47
I've persisted for years with a foam lumbar support in various cars, and even at one stage had a pump up variety until the rubber hosing perished. There are various shaped foam (wedge, cylinder & curved) ones and some mesh ones but after trying a mesh one and finding it quite uncomfortable went for a foam style. About to go back to a pump up one behind the seat cover in the PX Ranger as the foam variety can be a nuisance in them. They have a tendency to fall forward after exiting the vehicle and a couple of times now it has happened with a bit of a delay after locking the car and it then sets off the interior movement detector. When this happens at 2am just outside your bedroom window it isn't funny anymore.
AnswerID: 541620

Reply By: BT50XTR - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:42

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:42
We seem to have discovered that the seats in the XTR BT50 are a little nicer than the XT model. I know for a fact that the front passenger seat is shorter on the bottom than the XTR. They are also a bit hard when new but soften up quite a bit after some driving. My XTR driver seat is very comfortable.
AnswerID: 541777

Sponsored Links