Portable power stations or jump starter

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:26
ThreadID: 110116 Views:6506 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at getting a jump starter for my husband for Xmas. I have started my research and now see there is a solar 8 in1 portable power station. We have a land cruiser turbo diesel so I think I need at least 900amps, when speaking to the sales men they all tell me something different. Looking forward to the help from people who aren't, trying to sell me something and genuinely want to help. Cheers Helena
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:32

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 09:32
The big problem with starting a Cruiser with a flat battery is that you first have to put some charge into the flat battery before you'll have enough power to swing the motor over.

So any Jump Starter that you buy will need to have enough capacity to do that.
AnswerID: 541561

Reply By: TomH - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:04

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:04
Read the other thread about "size of cable for Jumpers" and buy a set mentioned on there.

When I ran the Cruiser batteries flat ( Stupid thing to do) I got another 4wd and hooked them together for 10 mins and then started it No troubles.
A lot lighter than a kit and more reliable as you dont have to remember to charge them up either.
AnswerID: 541564

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:14

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:14
Sounds like a good trade ..... LOL
Ahem,

Hi Helena,
You don't indicate what year your vehicle is or what size motor or whether there is space under the bonnet to instal a dual battery system, or if there is one in place already.
Derek Bester at ABR is an advertiser on this site and he will have information that will answer your question and products to suit your need.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 541566

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:18

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:18
Helena,

Using the search function at the top of the thread list, search for thread 109593.

There is some useful info by members, about their purchase of a jump starter kit. Mainly about buying an adequate capacity unit.

Jumper leads are good, but you do need another vehicle. And if the vehicle with the flat battery is not accessible....................then you need a donor battery.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541567

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 13:51

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 13:51
This thread that Bob referred to ^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of recommendations for the Supercheap 1900 amp jumpstarter.

I have one and it started my previous 4x4 from flat, no hesitation

Normal price is about $200 but if you keep an eye and maybe subscribe to their email thingy, you'll find them on sale occasionally for around $130. They'll probably have a special between now and Christmas.
FollowupID: 827704

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:25

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:25
Hi Helena,

Your referenced "8 in 1 portable power station" looks attractive with its inbuilt compressor, inverter, etc. but it only has a small
12Ah battery which may not suffice to reliably crank your Land Cruiser.

Perhaps a better alternative is something like this which uses all the space for a bigger 22Ah battery.

"Ah" = Ampere hours, which defines the size or energy capacity of the battery.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541568

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:41

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:41
"I am looking for a jump starter for my husband". OUCH. (;=))

Seriously though a smaller unit should suffice. If the main battery is dead flat remove the earth lead from the vehicle's battery and connect the jumper pack battery to that. This takes the flat battery out of the equation as this flat battery will absorb some of the available charge from the the jumper unit.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 541574

Reply By: steved58 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 16:32

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 16:32
I have not used one myself but the powerall lithium jump starter looks the go these days have bought one for someone else for xmas now want one myself They can also be used for charging phones and devices Available through getaway outdoors and other places These mighty little units are a 10th the size of standard jump start packs and claim up to 20 starts to a recharge If they live up to their claims why buy a big heavy brick
see linkpowerall video
well worth checking out before buying possibly old technology

Steve
AnswerID: 541588

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 16:53

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 16:53
I'd been made aware of these by the local AutoOne guys, so I checked out the video. Obviously has the grunt required to crank over that beast.

Two things in that video did get my attention:

1. He attached the negative lead to the battery terminal. Best practice is to attach it to the block somewhere convenient, and not too far from the starter motor - to bypass the negative terminal, lead and connection at the block, all of which may have suspect connections that would make starting harder (or impossible).

2. More importantly, once started he removed the jumper positive lead from the vehicle's positive lead terminal while the vehicle battery was still not connected. The battery plays an important part in the regulation/filtering process, so vehicle electrics could easily be exposed to transients, especially the "dump" from the starter motor when it is released.

But the device itself looks the goods.
FollowupID: 827713

Follow Up By: steved58 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:01

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 17:01
Zippo I had noticed those things myself not very good practice
I have since looked at the units specs it states diesels up to 3 litre however it has 400cca which I believe in resonable conditions not too cold it should start a landcruiser diesel It started a bt50 diesel no problems at the 4wd show
cheers Steve
FollowupID: 827715

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:51

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 18:51
I've only been driving for 40 yrs , but in that time I've never needed a jump starter battery...did need to push start a car once though..

Save your money for something useful....maybe a set of jumper leads...

Keep your battery in good condition...only use it for starting the 4wd....and the law of averages says you will never need to "jump" start the 4wd..
AnswerID: 541595

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:46

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 21:46
Couldn't agree more, never have owned a jump starter battery, but have had a good set of jumper leads for quite some time. Funny thing is, I have only really used them to jump start other people......
FollowupID: 827741

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 22:58

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014 at 22:58
It can happen to the best of us. Inadvertently left a door open all day and ran the battery flat.
If the Op is going travelling in isolated places on their own it may be useful but if staying where others are it will be unnecessary.

Not all of us are perfect I have been driving for 58 years and dont profess to be infallible. Having owned over 40 vehicles, I got a few duds that caused amongst other things, battery problems.
Not so long ago had 2 new batteries in the Cruiser and 3 months later it wouldnt start.

Hmm not good, traced to a short in aftermarket wiring so it can happen to anyone.
FollowupID: 827746

Follow Up By: steved58 - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 01:45

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 01:45
Battery packs are very useful items for more than just jump starting the car charge phone laptop dvd player etc run electric blower to inflate air mattress inside the tent away from the car emergency lighting even run the fridge at a pinch so it is not just for starting the vehicle especially if the budget can, t run to dual battery systems or the amount of use it will get is too low to consider installing one these are also very portable

Steve
FollowupID: 827749

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:09

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:09
Helena,

I was very sceptical of the small jump starters but have bought one and tested it.

It works.

This is the one I got:Jump Starter

It recharges from the cigarette lighter (once you have started the engine), and can also power other devices. It has a built in torch, and USB outlet, and a multi headed cable including iPhone plugs.

I recently ran my battery down while working on the headlights. There wasn't enough power to turn over the diesel. I connected the little jump starter, not really expecting it to work. I left it connected for about thirty seconds then started the vehicle. It fired up as if it had a full battery!

Bob

AnswerID: 541613

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:10

Thursday, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:10
Helena,

I got the 1800 mAh one (not the 1500)

Bob
FollowupID: 827756

Reply By: Ian F8 - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 21:24

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 21:24
Have a look at the "super mini booster" I'm in the car industry and have used this little booster a few times, it works very well for its small size, many of the truck driver are using them so that must be a good endorsement for it.
AnswerID: 541812

Sponsored Links