What Mapping Program & Maps do I Need?

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 10:39
ThreadID: 110154 Views:2749 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
In non tech words may I have some advice.
Object
To plan trips particularly in remote areas and display as I travel
Presently owned equipment
Ipad
Laptop (Microsoft)
Original VMS in Dash system with non updated Hema desert maps & topos

Suggestions please

Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:26

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:26
Topo maps and Oziexplorer for your PC with Oziexplorer CE for your GPS is a good combo.

I've only recently acquired both and I'm still in the learning curve, but by all accounts they will fit the bill. There are also other maps which you can utilise.
AnswerID: 541723

Reply By: Zebra400 - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:31

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:31
Hi Ross

You say you have a VMS system in your 4WD. It depends how old it is. Older versions used OziExplorer or Memory Map. I think later versions are using VMS's own program.

Ipad can only use Memory Map or Hema's own software.
Laptop can use Memory Map or OziExplorer.

It is really a question of whether you want to down a particular path or you want to be able use the same software on your laptop/ipad/VMS.

Just one thing, Ozi cannot run on an ipad. It works on an android tablet or desktop only.

It also depends as to whether you want to create your own maps (Ozi is good for this) or just load a map i.e. Hema and go out and see where you are going.

I can give you more info, but it is back to you as to what your plans are.
Laurie
AnswerID: 541727

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 17:05

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 17:05
"Ipad can only use Memory Map or Hema's own software.
Laptop can use Memory Map or OziExplorer."

There are a few other programs that work on Ipads e.g. TwoNav..which is quite good..same for Laptop....though your suggestions are indeed the most popular.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 827931

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 18:59

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 18:59
For ease of use and a easy to read display it is hard to beat running the Hema app on your iPad
Particularly if you are not the computer savvy type, very simple to use and accurate an iPad/ tablet is much easier to mount up and use than a laptop as well
AnswerID: 541754

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:00

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:00
Hi

Which "hema app" are you referring to? There are two...

Hema app comparison

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827946

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:13

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:13
The 4WD offroad version
FollowupID: 827947

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:26

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:26
Assume you mean the Hema 4WD Maps app.

Both apps (Hema 4WD Maps and Hema Explorer) are suitable for "offroad" use but have a different range of functions. Not sure if all the same maps are available for both...though Hema Explorer has the advantage of being able to use satellite images which is a bonus.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827949

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:43

Sunday, Nov 16, 2014 at 21:43
Yes Greg the 4WD Maps version, that was the only one available when I purchased mine and you get every Hema map with it.
I am not sure but I think you only get a basic map set with the other version but you may be able to purchase more, have never looked into it
FollowupID: 827950

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 08:55

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 08:55
No worries ..yes I think with Explorer you have to pay for additional maps but initial purchase price is cheaper - case of sussing out best option for personal circumstances. Also the Hema 4WD Maps app is only available for ipads so if you have Android device the only Hema app option is Explorer (which works on both ipads and various Android devices).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 827966

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 22:28

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 22:28
Hema draw nice maps but their scale is too small for detailed nav in many places IMO.
FollowupID: 828062

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 00:53

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 00:53
Hi

Small sale maps aren't intended for "detailed nav" so no surprise there, doesn't matter who they were made by.

Hema maps have been created/designed for a specific purpose and presented at the most appropriate scale for their target audience.

If you think they have failed in this task you are wrong. They are excellent. If you use them and find them lacking for your intended purpose you are using the wrong maps. It's that simple.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828066

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 07:41

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 07:41
That's roughly the point I had made in reply #5.

I made this point in reply to statements like 'Both apps (Hema 4WD Maps and Hema Explorer) are suitable for "offroad" use' and 'The new Hema Navigator HN7 is the complete navigation unit for tourers and four-wheel drivers' (Exploroz shop).

Hema maps and systems are being hyped.

Quality here as elsewhere is fitness for purpose. Where there's a lot happening on the ground Hema's scale can't represent it so folk should be clear on their nav needs.

My rule of thumb for nav in the mountains is that a map of smaller scale than 50K is unlikely to be a useful guide. In the outback smaller scales can work.

To the original poster, there are a number of suppliers of digital maps apart from Hema. A number of Australian states produce topos at 25K or 30K that are detailed and recent; some can be bought direct as geo-referenced PDFs. Oztopo V6 for Garmins runs at a similar scale and covers the country. There's Magellan and Mud Maps. Also check out the app Avenza PDF Maps that has some free or cheap topos and town maps.

You also need to decide whether you want moving map, auto-routing and offline storage.

It may be that all you need is good paper maps with a handheld GPSr to locate yourself on one.
FollowupID: 828072

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:52

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:52
Hi

"I made this point in reply to statements like 'Both apps (Hema 4WD Maps and Hema Explorer) are suitable for "offroad" use' and 'The new Hema Navigator HN7 is the complete navigation unit for tourers and four-wheel drivers' (Exploroz shop)."

Not sure what you mean ..Both apps are suitable for "offroad" use...but as you, I and others have indicated the degree of suitability for any one person is dependent on specific needs. These apps may not suit you but that doesn't make them unsuitable for "offroad" use to everyone.

The sales pitch for HN7 is a pretty typical marketing approach but it doesn't really have anything to do with your comment "Hema draw nice maps but their scale is too small for detailed nav in many places IMO." You can use any map you like on the HN7 (including large scale, very detailed maps and air photos)...they dont have to be Hema's own maps. Comments of the HN7 should not be mixed up with a broad sweeping comments relating to the scale of Hema's maps...makes it sound like you are Hema bashing which is not a constructive approach to the overall discussion.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828075

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 06:45

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 06:45
We have Oziexplorer on the VMS and find it excellent. Been to most of the iconic deserts like the Vic high country, CSR, Simpson and middle Aus etc and never needed anything else. We sometimes jave been known to use the VMS street navigation program as well (iGo - I think)

We always take paper maps and a compas when travelling remore.

You may have to update the maps.

Never liked loose objects like laptops or ipads or even windscreen based navigation. We have had enough accidents in decades of travel to be wary of loose objects in the car.

My advice is to stick with the VMS and get Oziexplorer complete with updated maps, for it.
AnswerID: 541763

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:23

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 14:23
"Been to most of the iconic deserts like the Vic high country"
???? Wasn't a desert last time I was there. Global warming must really be speeding up down there.
FollowupID: 827984

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 22:32

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 22:32
Look at digital map samples or paper maps with digital equivalents first. Choose the type & brand that tell you enough & then see what hardware & software are needed to use them.
AnswerID: 541857

Reply By: Penchy - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:43

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:43
Ipad - Hema that is all, maybe some paper maps of where you're going as well.
AnswerID: 542222

Sponsored Links