HELP!!! Our troopys been ransacked...

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 18:59
ThreadID: 110171 Views:3385 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We had some low life POS break into our car in Athens, Greece yesterday. Not only did they clean us out, from our cameras to our toothbrushes, but they smashed the side window directly behind the passengers door. We've been travelling for over a month since we've seen a land cruiser let alone a troopy so finding any kind or replacement seems impossible.
After visiting carglass here they mentioned it may only be possible to replace the whole assembly. I'm not familiar with how the complete assembly is constructed and if it is possible to replace only the single pane. Thinking maybe they can make one up for us if there are none to be had.
Anyone ever taken one out or have any other options to get us moving and secure again.
It's a real pain coz it's winter here, we can't leave the car unattended and we also sleep in it.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 19:34

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 19:34
Sorry to hear about the break in - hope it doesn't destroy your plans completely.

If you can't get glass why not try sheet-metal. perspex etc - it may get you out of trouble temporarily.

all the best

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 541800

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 20:29

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 20:29
I found this add on eBay. Only posts to Australia but you could phone and see if they could package and send it to you.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-75-TROOP-1-85-12-06-PASSENGERS-LEFT-SIDE-REAR-SLIDING-GLASS-/400343921488?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d365b7350

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 541809

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 07:20

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 07:20
Get it sent to a mate or relative and they can repost it to you.
FollowupID: 828023

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 22:09

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 22:09
Check out our blog Replacing_a_Sliding_Glass_Window_in_75_series_Troopy. Replacement is simple, but ideally you need an original curved Toyota bit of glass. It's a while since I did it, but I think it may be possible to used a flat piece of glass and to shape a bit of wood to get around the problem of marrying a flat piece to the curved piece. The job is so simple (provided you have2 people) that you might find it easiest to remove a good window to get a sample for your glass supplier to use as a pattern.

Another option would be to move the broken window to a more convenient location and replace both pieces of glass in it with a bit of solid plywood - check out the blog, I think it would be quite do-able.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 541815

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 23:49

Monday, Nov 17, 2014 at 23:49
Sorry to hear of your troubles. You need to be careful in Spain, Italy and many of the old Eastern European countries like the Czech Republic as well. Car rental companies won't let you take their cars into some of those countries they are so bad. Secure parking is almost mandatory unfortunately.
AnswerID: 541820

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:30

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:30
Having spent 6 months last year driving from Germany to Turkey via the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria and back via Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Austria and Switzerland, I suggest that the risk of the OPs incident I just as great in Melbourne.

Our insurance had no restriction or loadings for any of those countries.

To the OP: Try and find a piece of polycarbonate (which is easily cut with a jig saw and is almost bullet proof).

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 828031

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:51

Thursday, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:51
If you short term lease a car then you can travel to those countries, if you rent then many rental companies specifically exclude you travelling into them. I've rented at least half a dozen cars in Western Europe and had the riot act read to me enough to know that there is a risk involved in certain countries. We short term leased a car in Amsterdam and ended up in Hungary and Greece as the lease would allow it. We were warned a lot, even by two separate friends who had their cars trashed and all their gear taken, both in Barcelona. I felt obliged to pass on the warnings that I received. Fortunately for us, it has always been like driving in Melbourne, except they drive better over there....except in Athens and Naples of course.
FollowupID: 828114

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 03:34

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 03:34
You could try Early Landcruiser Spares
21 Pleasant Grove Holden Hill
Adelaide, South Australia

+61 416 341 457

He might be able to ship to you.

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 541824

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 13:04

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 13:04
I can't help with the glass but this may help when you find some.

Replacing a slide window on a troopy
AnswerID: 541840

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 17:32

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 17:32
If its a curved piece and you cant get the genuine item, I think plastic is your only reasoable option either acrillic or polycarbonate.

Any half decent plastics fabricator should be able to produce the curve bassed on the one on the other side.

That is it it wont bend enough cold.

cheers
AnswerID: 541884

Reply By: rb30e - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 17:48

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 17:48
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Three different shops combined to make us a fully functional 3mm alloy sliding window. It's not Perspex or polycarbonate but keeps the car secure and dry. Pitty we couldn't find something transparent but we had to get it done.
The good people of Athens that helped us out and only charged us €4.20 barely enough to cover the materials.

Athens is particularly bad for these types of crimes. Apparently the immigrant and refugee population has been forgotten about by the government which leads them to desperate measures. Either that or junkies which are also rife according to the police we dealt with.
Strange place, so many cops in riot gear all crowded around on random corners in the city. Gas masks and tear gas ready to go. I think we got a bit complacent after spending 3 months in predominantly Muslim countries where the penalties for robbery are much more harsh.
We never expected it though away from the car for half an hour, we rarely leave the cameras in the car and they were hidden. It was also 5:00pm on a Sunday right in the city centre next to the national archeological museum. Oh well welcome back to Europe I guess. We won't be making the same mistake again that's for sure.
AnswerID: 541886

Sponsored Links