Comment: Classifieds

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 17:18
ThreadID: 110181 Views:1965 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We have received reports of a Scam enquirer, sending SMS messages to sellers in our Classifieds system. Red flags should go up when buyers use terms such as "shipping agent". Genuine buyers will either call you or send you an enquiry via the email-form that protects them from seeing your contact details. The best way to handle any suspected scam is to send no response.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:18

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:18
Hi Adele ,Your article is so true about a scam ,12 months ago I had a motorhome for sale ,and I received and email so damn close to what you have written ,except it said it was a woman wanting to buy it for her husband as a surprise ,"she"" was also working in the Taranaki Basin ,it is the same scammers word perfect even to the Darwin place after funds etc.
All BEWARE of this one
AnswerID: 541854

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:23

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:23
Thanks Bigred13, I am glad to hear that you were not taken in by this scam buyer, and urge anyone who is unsure of an enquiry to let us know (as I have ways to be able to identify is it is a legitimate enquiry or not).
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 828060

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:33

Tuesday, Nov 18, 2014 at 20:33
Had exactly the same email when selling a caravan, but did do some research and the project he says he is working on is in fact legit, they must think anyone selling something is absolutely stupid, because if they can send a message the internet and mobile phone network is obviously working.
FollowupID: 828061

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 09:50

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 09:50
We got the exact same email last week while trying to sell a lounge suite!
FollowupID: 828078

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:14

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:14
This oil rig scenario is so worn out!,

Why don't they say they are a Traffic Counter at Betoota, or the new handyman at the Blue Heeler Pub, in Kynuna, and they are eagerly awaiting mobile phone coverage, to reply, or that satellite internet service is temporarily down?

Still if the old one works, keep it going, there's one born every minute..........

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 541875

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 14:38

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 14:38
Don't give them any ideas, Bob! They can produce plenty of their own cunning schemes as it is!

Missus got a good one this morning .... "Notice of Court Appearance".

That would make you sit up straight in your chair and get your attention, wouldn't it?!

I wanted to examine it to get the fine details, but she deleted it on the spot!

I use Mailwasher to intercept all my mail - which I normally download to my computer, as I use Thunderbird.
Mailwasher is brilliant, you can examine all the fine details of scam emails, see attachments, examine all the header details such as email origin information, and read the entire email - all without downloading it!

Then you can mark the source as a scam and blacklist it so it never bothers you again - and you can even bounce the email so it makes your email address appear as invalid!

I've bounced scam emails and had the sender send it again, only a few minutes later!
He must have thought there was an error somewhere, stopping its delivery!
After the 2nd bounce, they get the message!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 828095

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 15:02

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 15:02
X 2 on Mailwasher, Ron. I have it on my desktop and 2 laptops.

Did you know there is also an Android version for smartphones?

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 828096

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 15:28

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2014 at 15:28
Frank - No, I didn't. Thanks for the info. I've only just acquired a smartphone, I've been a bit of a phone Luddite for a few years, I had a 9 yr old Sony-Ericsson flip phone that never failed me!
Then, in early October, the microphone connection started to fail! I could hear people, but they couldn't hear me!
So, the old Sony got the boot, and I invested in a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Best thing I've ever done, I should have done it sooner!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 828098

Sponsored Links