Kimberlys and Camper Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1102 Views:2833 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We want to take our family to the Kimberlys next year end of may. As we will only have 6 weeks and we have to get there from Sydney we want to take a camper trailer. Firstly, is it possible to access most places with a heavy duty Off Road trailer, where wouldn't we be able to go to. Also would we be able to use a soft floor style one where you have to put a couple of tent pegs into the ground or would we be better off with a hard floor type. I would be interested in any advice you have . Thanks Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne - Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
Dianne

I am the middle of preparing a trip to the Kimberleys in June / July this year from Sydney with a soft floor type camper trailer (trak shak) behind a 100 series landcruiser. We are intending to take this trailer to Kalambru, Mitchell Falls, Bungles and probably every where else we need too.

My research and talking to people who have a trak shak trailer indicates I will not have any problems as long as we drive sensibly. the only question mark I have at the moment is whether we go into Bachsten Gorge with the trailer.

If you like hit me off line in August (wayne@wayana.com) and I can add current feedback. Rgds

Wayne
AnswerID: 3426

Reply By: Lizard - Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
We have been to Mitchells Falls with a GQ Patrol & Cavalier off road deluxe (soft floor type) , as well as heaps of other places , going up the Kimberlies end of May this year to Bungles , Cape Leveque and other spots , do not expect any problems ..... I suppose you get what you pay for in regard to campers ... hard floor are usually more dollars and usually heavier .... I like our Cavalier - it is comfortable and easy to tow etc .....
AnswerID: 3429

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Di,
I asked a couple of questions about trailers some time ago and got some good responses. Do a search on the archive using keywords 'Andrew trailer' ( without the quotes). My queries are listed with subjects of Best trailer, and where can trailers not go.
Good luck....hope to be out there soon myself.
Andrew
AnswerID: 3437

Reply By: Mike - Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
Dianne
Please consider getting a good quality centre pole tent. Quicker set up than a camper trailer and if the going gets tough, rough, muddy etc a trailer behind is a real burden. Even a typical small 6X4 domestic trailer is enough to stop a cruiser in mud ( I've seen it happen between Tibooburra and Broken Hill after one night's rain - solo 4wds got through but those with trailers were stranded. If you intend staying only on roads you should be OK but if you want to do any off road work, go solo! Best wishes!
AnswerID: 3455

Reply By: Steve- Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Dianne : What are you taking as a prime vehicle ? Why do you think a Trailer is the answer ? Do you really have to put pegs in every night ? If you can advise us all further we (the lot of us ) will probably be able to give you some hard earned advice

steve (the real steve)
AnswerID: 3459

Follow Up By: Dianne - Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Steve, towing vehicle is a Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2 Turbo Diesel. The trailer should be a fair bit quicker in total set-up time than our current dome tent as well as having an easily accessible kitchen and will allow us to carry more gear and supplies etc etc. Our experience from a trip from Syd to Cooktown last year was that at the end of a hard days driving with two hungry kids, we couldn't be bothered setting up our dome tent so most times opted for an overnight cabin which makes for expensive trips. Also, with the Patrol piled up chock-a-block with camping gear etc, tended to fast food more often than we would have liked if the kitchen and food had been easier accessible. Have heard that if there is no wind expected, you don't need to peg out many of the campers.
With regards the Kimberley trip, it will probably be a bit of a rush there with quick overnight stays until we are in the region and slow the pace down a bit. Hope that helps.
FollowupID: 1405

Reply By: Simon - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Dianne

Did subject trip last June towing a Camp/o/Matic trailer behind Tdi Disco. No problems at all, including towing the camper into and out of Lenard Gorge. We didn't go up to Mitchell Plateau though, but I don't believe it would be any trouble. You should be fine if you are sticking to the established tracks. As far as camper trailers go. You get what you pay for.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 3492

Reply By: rob - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Dianne, come & have a look at the camper trailer group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers
AnswerID: 3499

Sponsored Links