Toyota HZJ 76 ( Engine 1HZ ) vs. Nissan Patrol Gu TD42 naturally asp

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 06:05
ThreadID: 110226 Views:7860 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G' evening , I'am writing from Italy, missing from West Australia since 1990 ...what a mistake ! I am driving Mercedes G Klass since early '80. Had 300 / 290 and a new Professional 300. No big deal and major problems met so far. Major problems, no many after market unless going to some german supplier no really cheap. I am planning to drive next summer through Grece > Turkey > Lebanon > Israel etc...wars permiani. I got friends telling me good things about Toyota HZJ 76 ( 1 HZ no turbo ), some other preferito Nissan Patron TD 42 ( 4.2 lt no turbo ). Honestly I find Nissan more human while on springs and no leafs. Engine are of course both very low on power / torque. Looking at OZ blogs, understood that both are very popolar down under. Choise is for a unit tropicalized ( no elettronica at all ) while out of Europe MB services very poor. I some one can be so kind to help me on understanding :
1. engines reliabilty > Nissan block and head in cast iron ?
2. possibility of turbo adding ( saw a nice site of Safari )
3. experiences of singles
4. reliabilty in case of turbo add
thanks very much ; ciao Marco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:28

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:28
I have had my 1994 Toyota Landcruiser since 2002, it had 106,000+ Klms when I bought it.

it belonged to Telstra and was based in Cairns , it still has the original engine untouched, Diff's, and Uni joints, Gearbox and transfer case have had overhauls and repairs once only, successfully tow starting a truck and load in excess of 84 Tonne probably didn't do the gearbox any kindness, this is the truck and load .

And at Mt Bundt Station , Adelaide River NT when one gets bogged it's there for 3 days,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 542072

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:40

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:40
Hi Marco,
Both vehicles are rock solid performers with very reliable engines & mechanicals!
If it came down to the 'wire' I would probably go with the Nissan (& I'm a Toyota man lol).
The Nissan with the coils giving a more comfortable ride & arguably more articulation, a MUCH stronger drive line.
Re turboing,
Both engines can have aftermarket turbos fitted, but having a turbo fitted to a engine that has a lot K's on is asking for potential problems.
Over here in Oz & not knowing what your local second hand market is like, I feel it is hard to make any further comment. If you are serious.... you will know when the 'right' vehicle comes along.
I would suggest that if your not capable yourself, get a suitably qualified person to check over the vehicle prior to purchase.
Other sites to check would be
www.lcool.org & Nissan Patrol Owners Forum
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542073

Follow Up By: marco c1 - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 09:22

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 09:22
Thanks Tony first of all. So you believe that Nissan is much stronger to re turboing ? This while got a cast iron head o for the general fit ? In Europe they are imported via Belgium, usually prepared for Legacy or onlus company operating in Africa, importers know nothing about them, price for new fully equipped is around 45.000 Eu. I can sell my MB for 35.000 EU ( a nightmare for elettronic ! ) and that try to operate with my wife to by a new one. While to reach EU standard n° 6 , they got a lot of filtering and cloggs / restrizioni at muffe.Having a rid of them power may reach 120 HP / torque 28 KGM. No much really. Good to go to Dolomites or Russia but not for sand. Marco
Insanity drives world, You guys leave in a Eldorado island, here got any sort of problems.
ciao
FollowupID: 828296

Sponsored Links