Are there any Backpackers or Hikers out there

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:25
ThreadID: 110228 Views:2535 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any backpackers or hikers out there using or viewing the forum.....Hoping to share with you your experiences and tips and tricks with equipment etc.......and if you can recommend any helpful websites that relate to our way of travel...
My travelling siuation is a bit different....I travel on the trains and bus,s....staying either in the pubs and hostels in bad weather...and 2 man tenting in the good weather...

Before I go on I want to say a huge thanks to everyone who answered my new member post......You are amazing and so helpfull and also looking forward to your advice in the future as well ........

Cheers Jude

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hooks - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 15:07

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 15:07
Hi Jude,

We are backpackers and have done a lot over the past 30 plus years. Just getting into the caravan side of things, but the passion of the wilderness and backpacking will never die.

Bob.
AnswerID: 542091

Follow Up By: JustJude - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:46

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:46
Hi Bob

I guess I,m not what you would call a true backpacker not in the sense of hiking in the wilderness well not yet anyway....I have looked into joining a bush walking group..
I use the names backpacker and hiker because without travelling in my car and using the trains and bus,s to get around I feel i,m not the average camper......
and just for now I am travelling this way to suit my current budget....not ready to sell my house yet....
You must have so many stories of your trips...what is one that stands out from the rest.........
I could learn so much from you........Any tips for now....like lightweight equipment .......forums....hostels etc

Cheers Jude

FollowupID: 828361

Follow Up By: hooks - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:53

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:53
Hi Jude

Depending which state you live in, there will be various bushwalking clubs that you can join. This will allow you to gain much experience from the many members in these clubs. Many have web sites. Also there are web sites that belong to collective clubs eg Bushwalking Victoria. This organisation runs courses and training programmes for beginners and those wishing to gain more experience etc. They also are involved in Bush Search & Rescue where members assist the police in incidents involving lost persons. Most of the states have these organisations.

Good luck and I am sure you will gain the experience and have a great time bushwalking.

Bob.
FollowupID: 828415

Reply By: Kelpie D - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:00

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:00
and if you can recommend any helpful websites that relate to our way of travel...

Take a look at couch surfing - https://www.couchsurfing.com
AnswerID: 542095

Follow Up By: JustJude - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 08:03

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 08:03
Thanks for the website link

I just had a quick look.....I will give it a go looks really different........I,m a bit confused though... Can you set me straight.

Is it a forum for travellers to communicate with each other to learn about places worldwide with the option of perhaps staying with them when visiting their towns or maybe just to learn more about places you may like to visit........Looks like I can,t get in there to get a feel for it all without registering........

Appreciate your help

Cheers Jude
FollowupID: 828362

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:35

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:35
Joining is free. Just join, it isn't going to bite you !!

It is like staying with friends. You just state where you are and what you want. So say you are going to Wagga for 3 nights, you can ask if anyone has a "couch" in that area for 3 nights. It might actually be a couch to sleep on, it might be a bed or maybe some floor space for a sleeping bag.

It is how backpackers travel the world...Think about it. You don't need lots of money when your bed for the night is free.

Details are up to the "couch" owner and the "surfer". Some one might say you can stay 2 nights if you mow the lawn. Or a common thing is to provide dinner on your first night. So the house might have say 6 people that night, you cook, buy, or take out dinner for all 6 and in return you get to stay for 3 nights or whatever.

There are couch owners that just want company. So they offer their spare room to backpackers or "surfers" just for some one to talk to. There are a lot of lonely people out there.

When you join you will also be able to view events in any given area. For example, there is a weekly pub dinner night for couch surfers in Wollongong. You just RSVP on the site so they know how many tables to book. It only costs what you eat and drink.

It is a great way to travel Australia or even the world. And you can do it on less than the dole.

FollowupID: 828369

Follow Up By: JustJude - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:37

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:37
Thanks for the reply......

and for all the info it sounds great....I will join and if it bites me kelpie you,ll hear about it HA HA

All jokes aside I appreciate your help and feedback...

Cheers Jude
FollowupID: 828373

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:33

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:33
My knees are a bit shot for hiking too far with a pack, but I take the kayak away a bit and live out of it.
Have you had a look at the hammock side of things? There are a few 'hanging' websites around.
A proper expedition sized hammock is the most comfortable night's sleep I've ever had - beds included.
andrewskurka.com is a great site with smart packing lists for lightweight campers.
AnswerID: 542133

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:46

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 09:46
'the ultimate hang' is a book you can get from ibooks if you are interested in exploring expedition hammocks. Plenty of different brands to look at from the states. Mine's a mosquitohammock brand which is as good as any.
FollowupID: 828366

Follow Up By: JustJude - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:46

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:46
Now i would never had thought about a hammock.....I will look up all the links you suggested. And I,ll let you know what I come up with.

Where do you put the kayak in? My neighbour has one and he loves it......I,m sure he would be interested in hearing about where some good spots are....

Thanks for the info

Cheers Jude

FollowupID: 828375

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 19:16

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 19:16
All over. My local waters are between Brisbane and Hervey Bay. Top of my list is the upper noosa river. I ditch the family every june long weekend and paddle off for three days of me time. No boats up there, just other paddlers and some of the greatest Everglades you'll see.
I also go fishing down at South west rocks with it. There's plenty of good places to paddle, even if it is over to peel island for the night.
FollowupID: 828396

Follow Up By: JustJude - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:05

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 07:05
Well it sounds really amazing especially in those beautiful surroundings..everglades in OZ I would never have thought...I plan on travelling up to the Noosa area my eldest son lives on the gold coast so I can head off from there....Got to do NSW first and get more experience....
Now south west rocks that,s s a bit closer to home....Thanks for sharing I will tell my neighbour.
We all need me time.......and what a wonderful way to use it Good on you.

Cheers Jude
FollowupID: 828413

Sponsored Links