Black Wolf Mojave HV6 or Kathmandu Cabana 6

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 16:44
ThreadID: 110233 Views:8047 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Looking at purchasing either Black Wolf Mojave HV6
http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product/Mojave-SG6/129/category/36
or Kathmandu Cabana 6
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/camping/tents/cabana-6-tent-aluminium-dark-blue-1.html

Suggestions, feedback, recommendation, or superior alternatives (comparable price range) would be appreciated to assist with decision.

Thanks
Daren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kelpie D - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 17:29

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 17:29
So your price range is $500 to $1,000 ?

Each to their own...But for me, I would not spend that sort of money on anything other than canvas...

If what you want needs to be dome with multi room. Then either of those looks good, but I would lean toward the Katmandu.

How long do you want it to last? A season? Two years? A life time?

I have two tents. A cabin 12x12 with 12x12 screen room. So total 12 foot by 24 foot. It is canvas. It is in perfect condition. It is strong as an NT buffalo. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count how many times it has been used. It also happens to be 50 years old !!! And also happens to be exactly the same design as todays cabin tents..! Can't for the life of me remember the brand name. Something like high country or something.

The second is an Anaconda Dune 4WD Kimberly 9 plus. Canvas, of course. I have been living in it now for about a month. After one month only one word can describe it - perfect.

Anaconda have the Kimberley 9 plus on sale (or clearance) for, I think $379. For your price range, you could get two and have your multi rooms and tents that will out live your supa pension.

AnswerID: 542102

Follow Up By: darenwilko - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:14

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:14
Hi Kelpie D thanks for your reply.

With regards to price I can get the black wolf for about $500 & the kathmandu for about $550. So that would be price range.

Have been leaning towards dome, because of size and weight when packed. Looking take up as little space in the vehicle as possible.

We will be using maybe 5 - 6 times a year... tops. So would like it to last a few years at least.

Thought multi room would be good for kids.

Do you feel the Kathmandu is better quality to Black Wolf?

Cheers
Daren
FollowupID: 828331

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:51

Sunday, Nov 23, 2014 at 18:51
No worries mate, you are welcome.

I have looked at various of the top end brands. I think a lot, maybe to much, of the price is brand name !

Just looking at the specs leans me to the Katmandu between the two you mention. Nothing wrong with Black Wolf thou..It is just that they paly on name and marketing and you can get better or equal for a lot less cost.

If you are quick. I saw a 10 man Jackaroo in Kmart last week for $49. Yes, $49. Normal price was $199 I think. It is on clearance. Nothing wrong with Jackaroo ! Bloody good value for money !

Mate, get the kids a Jackaroo. They will love being in their very own tent. They will still be just a zipper away from you if they need help. Then do your self a favour and get the grown ups a real tent.

The way I see it. You have two choices. 1. Light weight, compact and cost affective and last years. or 2. more weight, more bulk, one off cost (so cheaper in the long run) and last decades or even a life time !
FollowupID: 828335

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:34

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:34
Gidday

I think the idea of separate tent for kids is a good one. How old are they?

They grow UK fast and they will quickly not want to be sleeping in the same tent as mum and dad.

cheers

FollowupID: 828372

Sponsored Links