Pegasus Track, WA?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 21:04
ThreadID: 110244 Views:3607 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

we watched a doco on the ABC Sunday night.

It was about an American bloke, Robert Bogucki, that attempted a 700 km trek from the Sandfire Roadhouse to Fitzroy Crossing - across the Great Sandy Desert, by bike.
It turns out the name "Great Sandy Desert" wasn't a big enough clue that there is a lot of sand there and he dumped his bike - and his food.

He didn't eat for a month and went up to two weeks without water. It's an amazing story of luck I reckon.

Anyway, they kept talking about the Pegasus Track he kicked off on before heading up to McClarty Hills and originally aiming for Dragon Tree Soak.

I know Mick O has been up in this area and I noticed he mentioned Pegasus in one of his videos.

Is the Pegasus Track the Wapet/Kidson Track?

I've got to know.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 21:57

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 21:57
Hi Steve,

Pegasus Track is the Anna Plains Station Track.

Ol' Bogucki was a strange one!!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 542163

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 22:48

Monday, Nov 24, 2014 at 22:48
Thanks Alan.

Yeah, he picked a funny way to sort out some issues.
If it was true as told I'm amazed he survived so long without water.

Looking up Pegasus Track I came across the video Mick put on Vimeo from your trip last year. Looked like a hard way to have a holiday.

Thanks again.

Steve
FollowupID: 828407

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 06:53

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2014 at 06:53
Steve, The pegasus track runs out from Anna Plains as Equinox has said. It was run through by Amoco back in the late 70's. The main camp was called Pegasus as well. These days the track can be used to access Warburton's Joanna Spring from the south and west. We did it back in 2009. Landrover club were also out that way in 1996 for the Centenary of the Calvert expedition. The ill fated members for that team died a short distance from the track. Videos are from that trip and all shot on the Pegasus (line) Track .

One of our EO members spent extensive time out that way driving the trucks and equipment through to Pegasus and others. He has many an amusing anecdote from those days and the area.

Joanna Spring Day 1

Joanna Spring - day 2

Joanna Spring - Day 3

Joanna Spring - Day 4 (success in the desert)

Cheers

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 542167

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 20:46

Thursday, Nov 27, 2014 at 20:46
Thanks very much again Mick O.

I appreciate your help.

Steve
FollowupID: 828531

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:13

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:13
Cheers Steve. So will you give it a crack this year ;-)
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828567

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 21:03

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 21:03
No. 2015 we are getting everything sorted and then Easter 2016 we are on the road for good.

The idea is to travel and work until we're sick of it. We'll be heading north and west. There are a lot of tracks in the north west we're planning on tackling so we'll work our way to Kununurra and set up somewhere up that way.

This year's trip took us up through western Queensland to the Sandover then up through the Davenport Range to the western Gulf where we stayed for a while.
It was a great trip and we loved the area and the people we met. We lost our dog to a 1080 bait while we were camped on Brunette Downs. That was pretty horrific for a while but these things happen...

It was really good reading your blog and watching the videos last night. They are put together really well and had me wincing more when you were on the tracks than off them.

It's amazing the difference in the condition of the Kidson Track between 2009 and when we drove it in 2012. I'm not sure if you've driven it since then.

Too many tracks and not enough time. That's why we want to get closer to where we want to explore so we have more time exploring and less time transitting (is that a word?).

Thanks again,

Steve
FollowupID: 828572

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 22:16

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 22:16
Mate, they were some of my first efforts. They are too long and very poor resolution. It gives you an idea though.

I was wincing when I watched that Bogucki documentary the other night as I'm more familiar than most with the country he traversed. Something not quite right there particularly around the no water form 12 days thingo! Savage country but you can hit the sweet spot at that time of year as I've found out over eight trips through the area since 2006.

Yep, the Kidson has changed a fair bit since Ray Ronchi touched it up in 2011. Bottom half is still the same though. (Was there last year and this ;-) Ray has some bloody funny stories around grading out to Gwenneth lakes. The one about the 'Environmental" lawyer, the bulldozer driver and the T/O's is priceless!

Casual 2015 for me as well with something really special planned for 2016. 10 years exactly from when I headed off at Easter 2006 to do as you intend. Loved Kununurra. Good town, good people. Spent a fair amount of time there. Any nature of work available. Foolishly came back after 13 months....should have stayed!

2015 will be spent fitting out the new quad and taking the Princess to places of her choice (She has to get used to the idea of five months without me in 2016 so best get the brownie points up now. lol).

Admire the dash of anyone prepared to step outside the square and head off like you intend. We are underground for a long after all. Live it now.

Cheers Mick.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828579

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 23:01

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 23:01
Mick,

don't apologise for the videos being too long. I enjoyed every minute of it. It took me there and I was moving my head as the branches slapped the windscreen.

2016 sounds interesting. Is it in Australia?
Happy wife, happy life I always say. My wife reminds me often enough.

We've decided to cut the back off our 80 series and convert it to an extra cab. It's been a great truck for touring, reliable and parts are easy to source anywhere. That's part of our 2015 plans.

We're heading out to Cameron Corner for a bit of outback summer fun New Years Eve. I need to get out there every few months like it's an addiction. Hopefully waking up in the desert after three New Years Eves in the one night should sort me out for a bit.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 828582

Sponsored Links