TV reception up the centre

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:53
ThreadID: 11025 Views:4194 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
This June the better half and I are hooking up the van and heading to Darwin then the plan is to head back home to Vic via central Qld and NSW. Can anyone help with advice on the best antena to use to pickup TV reception up the centre?

Cheers,

Pelly
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:09

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:09
Pelly,
anticipate derisive comments from those less addicted to 'The Bill' or 'Extreme Makeover' than your better half
AnswerID: 49234

Follow Up By: Pelly - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:15

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:15
Yes Bob I am expecting some colourful comments my better half assues me it's only for the news etc, not withstanding I'd still like to know what to expect in the way of reception.

Thanks,
Pelly.
FollowupID: 311103

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 13:32

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 13:32
Yeah, yeah, yeah just for the news, whose kid'n who. What's the matter with country ABC radio. Ever see anything really nice on the TV news ?? Just more bombings, blood, politics and other mind numbing garbage. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get by without it & suddenly the holiday becomes a magical event and the world a beautiful place.
FollowupID: 311124

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:38

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:38
Hi Pelly,
We took our portable t.v. to the Kimberley last year. We didn't use it much but after travelling in the bush it was good to setup at the major towns and be able to sit back after a hot shower and enjoy a bit of T.V.
I have an antsig antennae (UFO looking thing) but the rabbit ears did the job most of the time.
I spotted a caravan with a sat dish on it - now that takes the cake!
If you can stow the luxury I say take it. Funny how T.V.s are bagged but people have the room for Laptops, GPS, Twine showers, mobile phones, inverters etc.
Enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 311288

Reply By: William - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:24

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:24
The Magnavox from Dick Smith for around $60 is the best all round
It is also compact easy to store and quick to put up
If you have a GPS you can get all the coordinates for the TV Stations all over Australia.
AnswerID: 49237

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:52

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:52
Make sure any tv you have can pick up vhf and uhf as in darwin some channels are brodcast on one and some on another. most reasnable sized towns recieve satilite tv (imparja etc) and bradcast them out but you will only get a reception if you are in town or very nearby. You can even watch tv at daly waters
AnswerID: 49245

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:39

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:39
I have a similar problem... she who must be obeyed will stop anywhere as long as there is xtal clear tv reception. I solved the post dinner entertainment problem by using the lap top to play monopoly, trivial pursuit etc etc...a lot safer than a romantic stroll along the beach....( tripping over copulating couples) or a nice romantic midnight swim.. ( bitten by an eel). I have a winegard antenna and it cost me nearly $400 but an inverted coat hanger held aloft in a tree works as well in a marginal signal area.
AnswerID: 49267

Follow Up By: Pelly - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:50

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 14:50
Rick, if was walking along the beach I'd be tempted to throw a line in I think I'll be doing enough of that during day light hours. Therefore the tele might not be a bad idea thanks for the info. It seems to me that it's not a real problem to get a signal once you're in town... the rest of the time well lets hope the fish are on the bite and the tele won't be given a thought.

Pelly
FollowupID: 311128

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:49

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:49
Look out the side window of your 4x4 for the best TV channel on earth. Craig...........
AnswerID: 49290

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:51

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:51
When the couple in the next tent have play time with the light on in it is interesting.
Eric
FollowupID: 311169

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 19:08

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 19:08
Pelly,

My daughter and I, when ever we go camping always get a good reception on the bush telly.

It always has a new program on every night, no commercials, but only one channel. The programs always reflect on what had happened that day, and what might happen tomorrow. The bush telly (camp fire) is a very special time for us.

Wayne
AnswerID: 49305

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:53

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 06:53
And I fall asleep in front of that one too.
Eric
FollowupID: 311170

Reply By: donk - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 22:07

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 22:07
Pelly

In my opinion the Explorer C10 is a good quality antenna for use on a caravan

The cost is around the $300 to $400 mark but in the kit you get all the necessary parts to connect to the back of the Television

The Explorer has both UHF & VHF Elements & can be mounted both horizontal & vertical

The kit replaces all existing connectors & coax in the van & requires around a 1/2 inch hole in the outside & about a 2 inch hole to be drilled in the inside of the van as the power supply to the aerial is fitted within the wall of the van(not hard to fit if you take your time) & you need a power point inside the van nearby to plug the supply in to 240 volts

Explorer supply a mast that extends to about 15 feet high & a bracket that attaches it to the draw bar

All the cables supplied are high quality & there is a information booklet supplied that gives transmitter location & type so you know how to position the antenna & also gives a lot of information about tv signals & how to acheive good reception

When we purchased the van it came with a fold up pvc type simple antenna (i won't name the brand)that was fine in populated areas but in less populated areas we had poor reception although it was convienent to use

We put up with this for about 2 years but when we purchased the explorer we were amazed at the difference in reception quality

I think you get what you pay for in most cases

Hope this information helps you

Regards Don

AnswerID: 49325

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:38

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:38
Hi Pelly,

This may be the high cost option but here goes!

My parents have just embarked on a two year caravan road trip NSW/SA/NT/WA/SA/NSW! Mum is a big Bill fan but they also like to keep up with the news wherever they are.

They invested in a satellite dish with an Austar card that picks up Free to Air via the Optus C1 satellite. Cost was $1100 all up but there is no more to pay. They get a dish (square, about 300mm) and a set top box with an Austar card. They can now get a perfect free to air signal anywhere in Australia and pick up ABC, Imparja (mix of 9 and 10) Seven, and SBS and a couple of other channels. This is apparently also upgradable to Foxtel/Austar pay TV is you want to pay the monthly subscription. They are happy wth the free to air, so after the initial investment there are no ongoing costs.

Dad says that the dish takes about 10 mins to set up on a bracket on the front of the van. He then uses a satelite finder (supplied) to align the dish to the satellite and the plugs in the cable to the set top box. After that it is just like ordinary TV.

I'll get the name of the Supplier from them and post it here tomorrow. It is a fellow in Wollongong, NSW.

One thing I was impressed with is that they get all of the ABC TV signals for Australia which means that they can watch ABC from each state from anywhere in Oz. This means that you can "time shift" ie, you can be in NSW but watch the WA 7.00pm News at 8.30pm local time! Mum can watch The Bill at 8.30pm (NSW/Vic), 9.00 (SA/NT), 9.30 (QLD) or 10.30 (WA).

I suppose it is all about how important TV is to you! Personally I like the idea of the Bush Telly (campfire) above!

StevenL
AnswerID: 49339

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 17:47

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 17:47
StevenL,
Any luck finding the details of the supplier etc..??? be interested in this as most others have/need round 900mm dish to get the sat tv in many areas, especially NT. so overall size is a bit large to stow. 300mm would be much easier.. Best setup so far I've found out about so far is the Abloga sat tv kit, (demensions 86x18x78cm
20kg weight) but at around $1800 its costly and is still pretty large to stow, but its a neat kit.

Other than sat tv.. best antenna I've found so far for use in fringe areas in the van can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/qaf8 cost around $40-60 its a for band 3,45 but bands 1 & 2 ok in towns but dd $10 rabbits ears to last element for vhf band 1,2 in fringe areas, much better than wynguard, or any of the round omni direction types. Has very high front to back gain and is used in a lot of fringe areas on houses etc. now a days. but small enought o fit in front caravan boot.
FollowupID: 311462

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 13:23

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 13:23
Sorry it took a while to get the details.

The system is called Traveller Satellite.
Contact is Shane on 0408 544 363
Address is PO Box 573, Cronulla, NSW 2230

My parents paid $1020 all up which included the satellite finder and they are very happy with it. Easy to set up and gives perfect picture wherever they are (somewhere between Adelaide and Alice at the moment).

Good Luck!

StevenL
FollowupID: 311728

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 15:25

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 15:25
Many thanks StevenL

and for those interested web site is
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~shayneb/index.html

May well be worth considering as the square dish size of 53cm x 53cm x 5cm should make it easy to stow, easy and solid mounting set up to A frame or rear bumber of the van.

cya
Graham
FollowupID: 311738

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:42

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:42
Opps... web site has been updated and above url no longer works but this does

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~shayneb/
FollowupID: 311994

Sponsored Links