slippery rock road in the watagans

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:27
ThreadID: 11026 Views:3436 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at heading into the watagans shortly and was wondering if slippery rock road can be done with stock vehicles.
Vehicles are: MQ SWB stock, Triton stock, Vitara stock, Hilux not stock (air lockers, lifted, SOA) when I mean stock I mean not lifted in any way we are all running A/T, H/T, L/T or something like that in regards to tyres.
Was up that way just before xmas with the triton and did creek road, german point road, old mill road and a few other tracks.
It's just that i've heard a lot of discussions on slippery from different forums and reading that it needs at least 2" lift plus 33's just wondering if this is true and if it is can anybody recommend any othert tracks which we would be able to do, we like to have lunch at the pines as this is central to everything basically.
I have the morisset topo map plus the central coast forest map
any experience and advice on this subject
would be muchly appreciated.

DIXIE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 19:24

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 19:24
Hi Dixie,
Sounds like a fun day/weekend. Was wondering where you are comming from and if you know when your heading in there? I was also wondering if you would like an extra 4wd to join in and tag along (it the dates match my free time) if thats ok with you. I heard there are some great tracks in there. I went there last year for a weekend with family and friends and although we didnt do much 4wd'ing, we had a great time. We basically went there to check the place out. But If anyone helps you with the info on your question here, Id be very interested to take notes and check the place out myself either alone or with a few 4b's.

Hope you get the info your after,
Regards Angelo
AnswerID: 49307

Follow Up By: mq swb - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:36

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:36
Hi Angelo,
i live in the Hornsby area and should be heading up that way in the next couple of weeks, I can't do saturdays as I have to look after the kids as mum is working (and before anyone says take them with you the youngest still needs the boob milk) but sundays or during the week are fine with me and most of the other drivers so if your still keen let me know what suits you and we'll go from there.

Dixie
FollowupID: 311235

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:20

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:20
Sounds good to me Dixie,
Are you talking 1 day or overnight?
How many cars are going?

Also so i can start to organise my end of things, can you tell me where you guys will meet up? or are you all leaving together and heading straight in there?

I am fine as far the days you suggested, I usually just take off when i feel the need, can be any day at all. So let me know, and i may joing you, Sounds like afun trip, always wanted to do those tracks just never got around to it.
FollowupID: 311240

Follow Up By: mq swb - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:27

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:27
Just looking at up and back in the same day we normally meet at the start of the F3 just off pennant hills road and just past the pacific hway overpass where you see all the trucks stopped, we normally get away between 8 and 9, top up with fuel at cooranbong.
It's about an hours drive up the freeway so if away at 9 we will be in the forest at about 10:30. normally leave at around 3:30 get back to hornsby @ 4:30 all up about 380km for the day.
When I find out a day I will let you know, it will most likely be a wednesday as there are less people using the forest during the week. All up there are 4 vehicles and if you can make it 5

Dixie
FollowupID: 311291

Reply By: Michael_W - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:50
Hi Dixie

I have been up and down Slippery Rock road many times in a standard Troopcarrier. You sure won't need lifts or anything else for that matter. In fact my wife has also driven it numerous times, it's interesting but not difficult. The start of it off Owens Rd can be a little hard to find, I think I may still have the GPS co-ord. recorded if you need them.

Once you get near the top it flatens out for awhile before a short steep rise to Watan Forest Road. On this flat section there can be some largish puddles if it has been raining, I once had to winch myself thru one, but it was my own fault for trying to go round it rather then straight thru.

You might try Sawpit Creek circuit, and easy drive but can have wet sections after rain but again not difficult.
AnswerID: 49340

Follow Up By: mq swb - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:40

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:40
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the info this will help alot never been that far up before, we normally hang around the pines camping area and do those tracks.
Thanks again
Dixie
FollowupID: 311236

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)