SA Outback/trip note request re 2 p x 1 dog

Submitted: Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:26
ThreadID: 11027 Views:1893 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am planning a trip to SA outback this year. I am travelling with my partner and 1 dog. Does anyone have any ideas about where it would be great to go, times of the year, places, things to see etc. If anyone has trip notes from where you have gone it would be great to read. It would be execellent also if you know about whether through the outback there are any problems with a dog coming along. I also know very little about such a trip, so any advice re type of vehicle etc would be fab.

Thankyou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: VWR - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:41

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:41
What type of vehicle do you have?

Depens what time of year you go but Flinders ranges and Arkaroola are spectacular, especially in spring when the wild flowers come out.
The west coast from Pt Lincoln onwards has some great beaches, cliffs and scenery if you are into that type of thing.
Lake Eyre is just beginning to receive water so that area will be great during winter and spring.
Just avoid summer in the north unless you know what you are doing and love 40 plus.
Property owners generally hate dogs because so many people do not control them so you will probably have more trouble getting access than if you did not have a dog.
Most national parks ban dogs.
Remember to take plenty of water for the dog as well as yourselves.
Some caravan parks and camping grounds don't mind dogs, get yourself a good publication and identify them before you go.
Birdsville track is good to travel just so you can say you have done it - watch out for flood and mud at the moment, it is dangerous when wet.
Around Mt Gambier and the national parks below it (can't remember the name of the one on the river) are great as is Robe (crayfish) and the cooryong, terrific four wheel driving and fishing. Travel with someone if you can in the cooryong. Watch out for incoming tides and snakes.
You don't define outbak or level of experience so I am heitant to start talking about William Creek etc
Have a good trip
AnswerID: 49247

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:09

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 15:09
Theres a book travelling with dogs, its in the shop section here.

Give it a look!
AnswerID: 49272

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:46

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:46
Your dog will limit you a fair bit. Pretty much any place ending in 'Park' will be out such as the Simpson Desert, Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges and Gammon Ranges. Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta track and Birdsville track will be OK, not shure about the Innaminka Reserve. Any time from Easter to Oct will be cool enough to travell.
Buy the Westprint series of maps for SA as start on where to go. Craig..........
AnswerID: 49289

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:32

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:32
Check out the trip planning section & treck notes. As said no dogs in National Parks.
AnswerID: 49359

Sponsored Links