Best 12V Fridge for Marine Use

Submitted: Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 18:57
ThreadID: 110274 Views:5367 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've googled and can't find anything. I'm looking for a compressor fridge, 60-90 litres that I could use in my centre console boat. Obviously it is going to get wet. I would make a stand for it above the floor. As the compressor has to be vented it will be impossible for some spray not to get in. I have an evacool, metal engel and 2 waecos. Have had problems with the electrics in the waecos before (3 x control panels) so they are a no go. Thinking about selling the waecos to fund the buy.

It wouldn't be used in crazy weather and most likely set up on a beach for camping on the odd long weekend. Do I need something special (if it exists) or just set up the evacool/engel with some spray protection off the floor with venting for the compressor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marc p - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 18:58

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 18:58
I forgot, could you prepare the electrics with something like di-electric grease. Only problem is getting it off when it goes in the back of the car and becomes a dust magnet.
AnswerID: 542299

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 19:54

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 19:54
I had 2 engels I used in my boats. Did not last long at all. The salt water will kill it in no time. Trailblazer,Waeco,Engel, Evakool etc.. None will cope with being in a center console where saltwater spray will get on them. The wiring will go black in no time. Hinges will rust . Metal panels will rust and paint blister.

If it could be placed under the center consoles dash, out of the sun and away from salt water spray, Raised say 100mm off the floor, had the canvas travel bag on and the compressor/wiring sprayed with a suitable water inhibiting coating then you may have a small chance. My mate had 2 engels as fridge and freezer in a large forward cabin boat and even then he had all wiring done in tinned copper and everything soaked in lanoline. Completely out of the weather. Lasted for about 6 years and assume still going. Being out in a marine environment , open to the elemants and the salt water soon will destroy your engel. Had a trailblazer I used once on a large charter boat for 10 days. Out of the weather. About a month after checking it out at home after the trip I found corrosion on most metal parts and I had to rewire most of it. Under cover things might be alright. I wouldn,t do it again unless they were completely water proof.
FollowupID: 828566

Reply By: Fishing Barb - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:00

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:00
gday mate I ve had 60 ltr trailblazer fridge freaser made on the sunshine coast for about 20 plus years and no trouble
AnswerID: 542303

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:01

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 20:01
If you are expecing any fridge to survive unprotected in a salt water environment...to a certain extent.....you are dreaming.

Even proper marinised equipment like sounders, radios and GPS units with high IP ratings suffer long term.

This is why a most people still run big ass ice boxes in their boats.

There are people who run waeco and engel fridges unprotected on the backs of utes.....but they are not in salt water environments.

If it where me and I decided I had to run a fridge in that sort of situation
I would be striping it down , treating all the printed circuit boards and aother electrical parts with laquer and covering the controll panel with some sort of flap.

cheers
AnswerID: 542304

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 22:17

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 22:17
Buy a big plastic esky like a tropical or make or get a fibreglass one and go to a marine store whitworths or similar and buy the freezer unit and make it yourself.
AnswerID: 542310

Reply By: Member - Norm & Lisa - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 08:12

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 08:12
Snapper Fridges. They are Marine Grade and are made in Scarborough near Brisbane. They will make them to size if required. Not cheap but made to last. The mob who make them are Marine Refrigeration and Electrical Ph 073880 2922. If you google snapper fridges you will find out a bit more info on them.
Everyday is a holiday
Norm & Lisa

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 542315

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 23:30

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 23:30
Ozefridge make a range of eutectic kits for marine use, where the compressor can be remote mounted and even cooled with sea water if you want. It is possible to fit one to a standard ice box.
http://www.ozefridge.com.au/
Keith
AnswerID: 542345

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 07:19

Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 07:19
KBAD has the right idea... buy a BIG plastic esky ...or plastic storage box and install the fridge inside , make some small holes to allow air in .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 542354

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Dec 07, 2014 at 23:16

Sunday, Dec 07, 2014 at 23:16
I would also say you need to keep the fridge covered to get more life out of it. Have you looked into how the electrics are set up on boats with larger permanent fridges on board. Also Primus make a stainless steel fridge but again the electrics may fail due to salt water exposure.
AnswerID: 542697

Sponsored Links