Comment: Macartney Range

Submitted: Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 22:09
ThreadID: 110276 Views:1483 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
on a recent trip through Queensland we travelled through Toolebuc to Middleton.
When we were about 40 kms west of Middleton (as the crow flies) we took a photo of a range to the south. The nearest ranges to the south from where we were would be the Macartney Ranges, which would be about 90 kms away.
I suppose it depends on the height but would we be able to see the Macartney Range 90 kms away?
What do you reckon?
Steve

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 23:57

Friday, Nov 28, 2014 at 23:57
Steve,

Look like the Lawson Hills. Macartney Range runs roughly North-South up almost to Mackunda Creek, though I'd suggest the range also runs back to Lillyvale Hills around the Cawnpore Lookout too.

Will have to check in more detail tomorrow.

Great bit of country, very photogenic, but not very hospitable over the past month.........just too hot. :-(

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 542313

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 00:34

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 00:34
Thanks Bob.

It was a great drive through there from McKinlay to Middleton. Actually from Middleton to Winton too. The scenery is spectacular in parts.

We've got a young mate working on Marion Downs who reckons it's being pretty hot there lately.

He's heading to the coast for a break any day now and won't be back there until late January.

Thanks again,
Steve
FollowupID: 828585

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:08

Saturday, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:08
Those hills, at right of your photo Steve, would be the Hills Range. Would be difficult to see any of the Macartney Range from where the photo was taken.

Doesn't appear to be any name for the hills around Cawnpore Lookout. They sit between the Finucane Range to the north, and Macartney Range to SE.

There's a couple of photos on my profile page, of the Macartney Range, as well as a couple of the Middleton - Winton road. Our PC is currently away, being upgraded, otherwise I could probably bore you no end with photos of that area. :-)

Looks like you'll have to come back to check it out further? Your mate will have earnt his break on the coast.......these extreme temps are pretty ordinary, but even worse when you have to work in them. I call it "furnace weather"!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828596

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 10:43

Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 10:43
G'day Bob,

thanks very much your help.

I was looking later and they are way too close for the Macartney Range.

Feel free to "bore" me with your photos anytime. It's some fantastic scenery all through Central Qld but especially in that area. There were many times we were driving along, surrounded by magnificent views, and we couldn't help wonder why we were the only vehicle on the road. I'm not to keen on crowds anyway.

What brand of camper do you have on the back of your ute and how is it? We're planning on cutting the 80 into an extra cab and putting a camper back on it. We're keen on the Carry Me Camper from Candy Canvas in SA.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 828641

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 15:59

Sunday, Nov 30, 2014 at 15:59
Ha ha, no worries about the photos Steve. Our PC should be home shortly, upgraded to Windows 7, so may get my ar5e into gear and maybe do a Macartney Ranges Foto Blog. Macartney himself was an interesting person, Irish born, came to Australia at 17, and ended up owning a lot of that channel country.

Meant to mention earlier that I managed Toolebuc in late '70's, and met my wife around there too, so know that road well, that you travelled out to Middleton.

Camper was made in Hervey Bay. Firm is now called Dynamic Engineering and Fabrication P/L. Ph. 07 41248898
Website is: www.slideoncampers.com.au

Ours has kitchen, double bed and front storage for fridge or two, 2 x 120 amphr batteries, as well as a fair bit of storage space. They have a basic unit, for about $8k I think, and you can get anything you want, even split system aircon(but you pay for that privilege). Have fitted a 160 watt solar panel, on hinges, with Redarc BMS, to help with power requirements.

Met the new owner of business in Cairns at a caravan show, and he is young and keen, and appears to have some innovative ideas.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 828665

Sponsored Links