Review: Cape York - Outback Travellers Guide

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 3/5

I bought the Outback Travellers Track Guide on Cape York to help plan a trip in July 2015. The guide splits the trip from Cairns to the Cape and back into 19 sections, each shown as a separate strip map. The maps include both the coastal and inland routes to Musgrave Roadhouse via Mossman-Cooktown-Lakefield National Park and the Peninsula Development Road respectively. Side tracks to Weipa and Cape Weymouth are also included. The Guide contains a wealth of useful information, although it was published in 2010, so I have to wonder how much of it is still current. Some of the maps are cluttered with information that I thought was unnecessary. Are coordinates really needed for every access road into the beaches between Cairns and Mossman, all of which are clearly signposted? All but one of the map pages has between 8 and 14 small photographs, some of which are of limited value. I would have preferred to see a smaller number of slightly larger photos featuring real highlights, and a lot more information on attractions and points of interest. Good examples of the latter are the information boxes on the Quinkan Aboriginal art galleries and the Laura Aboriginal Dance Festival shown on map R, which has only 4 photos. The main drawback for me is the scale of the maps. I had to resort to a magnifying glass to pick out some of the cautionary symbols. Admittedly I'm overdue for a visit to the optometrist, but I think a standard A4 format rather than 17 x 25mm would better suit most readers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links