Ordering online

Submitted: Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 16:44
ThreadID: 110403 Views:2577 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone else have the same problem? Whenever I try to place an online order I am told theory will not send to x post office .
I try saying it's not actually a post office box I just want the parcel sent to a post office so I can pick it up from there .
What do other travellers do when they want to order online.
We are permanently on the road
Linda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kelpie D - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:00

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:00
They are using a courier..

Go into the post office (or phone them) and ask for their street address. Every post office has a street address.
AnswerID: 542902

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:11

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:11
When I place the order I put my name c/o the post office and the street address but they still come back with won't send to post office box. It is so annoying because I have had to cancel 2 orders and wait for refunds that take ages. I have spoken to them by phone and they still say mo.i have friends who say they get stuff sent to post offices all the time. Grrrrr
FollowupID: 829599

Follow Up By: Kelpie D - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:18

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:18
Don't say post office.

Just put "fred smith c/o 123 fredsmith street, fredsville"

In fact, let the post office know that a package is coming for you (you should let them know anyway} and don't put "c/o".
FollowupID: 829600

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:20

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:20
Ok will try that
FollowupID: 829601

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:31

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:31
Hi ozwildlifecarer

This also gives us endless problems. Sometimes we have to give up on that supplier. Sometimes the good ARE being send by Australia Post and the need the post box, not the physical address of our property.

If your post office is not the depot for that particular courier, they will not accept a parcel to be held for you. If you are certain your post office is the depot for the courier and the seller still won't accept the post office box, use the street address of your post office and include your box number in another line.

We have to find which courier is being used, and find the address of the agency or depot in our town and use that street address, and know where it is to pick the package up from there when it arrives. If they do not have a depot in our town, we have to use the street address of a friend or family member, but this can be inconvenient as if they are not home the parcel goes back with the courier to the city.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 829602

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:33

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:33
I just read in your post that you are permanently on the road. The same would apply, but harder to arrange if you are getting it sent to a town you have not arrived in as yet.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829603

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:38

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 17:38
Thanx mother hen. All I want to do is order a camera online and get it sent to the nearest post office. I don't have a po box. I have given up. It would be good if when I call to ask or discuss this the calls weren't diverted to what seems to be overseas call centres . What happened to customer service?
FollowupID: 829605

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:32

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:32
Just an idea, but maybe one of the businesses that people use to redirect your mail while you are travelling would be able to help. Have never used them but have seen them referred to on here often enough. Others may have details and no harm asking.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829613

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 20:52

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 20:52
Maybe, try using "Poste Restante" at the PO you want to get the thing delivered to.

OR, find someone who'll accept delivery for you and readdress to the PO of your choice.
We used to do this for a relative who was a solo sailor - he spent time in Canada, US, and twice circumnavigated Australia, and he used our PO address, we'd collect it up and send on when he told us where he'd be next.
FollowupID: 829634

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 00:23

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 00:23
Couriers cannot delivery into the postal service, unless it is an Australia Post Courier service. I have purchased a camera from overseas and it came by Fedex, but on that occasion my daughter's then partner had a business in town and I used his address.

Tom has the best suggestion. When we were in Kununurra we had to get our solar panels exchanged under warranty. With the approval of the caravan park we gave their address for the delivery. We were continuing paying fees there waiting for them to arrive, while we had an invitation to stay with friends. When they arrived in Kununurra, the lady from the Courier depot phoned us (she was a resident at the caravan park we were in, as many seasonal workers in town were) and we collected them, gaining a day.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829653

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:40

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:40
This mail redirect service is advertised in the CMCA mag The Wanderer, haven't used it but it might be of some use
mail redirect here
AnswerID: 542904

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:59

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 18:59
Stay a night in a camping ground and get it sent there Have done that with a new mobile phone ok. Advise the owners a parcel will be arriving for you

Presumably its a seller beginning with the letter K
AnswerID: 542906

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 12:09

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 12:09
Yep k. Get this. In their wisdom they have posted the memory card to me for the camera even tho I cancelled the order . I mean really????
FollowupID: 829671

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 22:47

Friday, Dec 12, 2014 at 22:47
We have had this issue all our lives!

We live some 25km's from town with no roadside mail box or delivery. Sometimes it is just impossible to get a purchase through using a PO Box....which is all we have

We avoid like the plague ever putting a physical address as well as a Postal even though the form in progress at the time states they will use the postal...simply because some Nincompoop uses the physical and the item vaporises!

Telstra is amongst the worse as they insist on mobile phones, modems etc. being couriered and despite all the checks and balances we put in place with them we now go to a store....they are impossible

We have tried playing with the address so it will go to the local Post Office that knows us then they will use the PO Box for us

Things like c/ of Post Office....Box #, Town OR # Box street, Town etc...but a lot of damn forms cross reference the Sensis data base as you type and states no street name or number in that town !...I could go on

Don't know any solution other than perhaps using the Post Office physical address street name and number and leave out Post Office wording?

approaching a local business or caravan park and asking if you can have something sent there....if you explained the dilemma some may be sympathetic

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 542912

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 00:29

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 00:29
Hi Bungarra

Some vendors use a database to match street addresses. If I put our road in it gets rejected and I cannot continue, as the database has town addresses only. I have not been able to deal with these businesses unless I use someone's address in town.

For others I have been able to put our box number with the road name, and it is enough for our post office to work out, but we are very well known at our local post office.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829654

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:17

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:17
Hi MH

Like you we are well known at the post office..........if we can get it there all looked after by them...getting there is the hardest with some suppliers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 829664

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 07:34

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 07:34
We've rung ahead to caravan parks on several occasions, got the ok and then had stuff sent to their address, even big things like tyres so it can be done.
AnswerID: 542922

Sponsored Links