ADJUSTABLE Shocks

Ok I understand the basics but that is as far as I go so

Are they worth the extra money

How reliable are they

How easy is it to adjust

finally have you had them fitted and what is your opinion on ride and quality

Thanks for your opinions and almost forgot Merry Christmas and a happy new ear to every one out there

thanks again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:02

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:02
Hi Allein

I have Tough Dog adjustables on my 100 series.

Are they worth the extra money? - I think so.

How reliable are they? - so far I have had no issues with them (only 50 000 km though).

How easy to adjust? - Toughdogs have a small graduated dial on the bottom of the shock that has 9 levels of setting. Clockwise they get stiffer, anti clockwise they get softer. I have twisted my shocks around so the dial is more protected from stone strikes. To get to them I only have to ly along side the vehicle rather than climb under it.

Ride quality - I notice a big difference in handling on the gravel/corrugations and sand, also when towing.

Some might say damage to the adjusting dial is a negative, but you can get spares and I carry a couple in the tool box - just did 40 000 around Aus including The Cape, Oodnadatta, Simpson, Great Central Road and had no issues.

You don't adjust them every five minutes and once you have had a play with them and no what setting is best for the terrain and load, it only takes a couple of minutes to dial them up or down.

I choose the Tough Dogs because if the ease of adjustment - some of the others you have to lift the weight and twist a locking nut down - not as quick. Others you can adjust with compressors - again not as quick. Not saying they aren't as good though.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 542947

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:12

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:12
I have similar on my Prado - Aussie Ryder sold by The Ultimate Suspension company in Ingleburn, NSW.

Ultimate Suspension made some stone guards that clamp onto the shock body to protect the dials on mine.

They work exactly the same way as ACD 1's and I've had similar results. I've done about 70,000 on mine, about half that off the black.

I would say they are worth it.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 829702

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:19

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:19
Frank

We're the stone guards a standard item or custom?

Is it possible to throw a pic up or PM me with one?

Not that I've had an issue, but prevention is better than 'curse' LOL

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 829706

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:53

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 17:53
G'day Anthony,

I think they were modified from something they had in stock for another brand. You can see they've been hammered but the plastic adjusters are unharmed and reasonably accessible.
Cheers
Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829710

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 18:47

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 18:47
Thanks for that Frank

They do offer a bit more protection. I will see if I can knock something up out of some thin sheet. It looks like they just slip around no are held with a couple of bolts.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 829714

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:04

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:04
You're welcome Anthony.

You'll see on #3 that because the shroud is more or less side-on to the shower of stones from the front, they have added (welded) a bit to close the gap between the shock body and the shroud.

The material used is about 2mm steel. I miced it but it's battered, so a bit inaccurate.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829716

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:52

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:52
I did a similar thing to mine and held them in place with a 50mm hose clamp from Bunnings
FollowupID: 829719

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:09

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 19:09
I have Rancho RS9000s fitted to the front of the 2000 model Troopy. The settings are graduated 1-9, 1 being the softess setting I normally set them to 4 on the bitumen and raise then up to 8 (quite stiff) when crossing the Simpson desert for example then somewhere in between for other terrain. Of course the idea is to reduce the sudden rebound which inturn gives a less 'bouncey' ride. Are they worth it? I'd say yes and would use them again if they fail.
Do I really really need them Hmmmm maybe not. Once you've had them you probably wont change.
As far as the dial goes on them I just turned the 'shock' a little until it faced the rear....no worries.

Jeff
AnswerID: 542950

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 20:31

Saturday, Dec 13, 2014 at 20:31
I had the tough dogs in a gq coil cab and adjusted them in reverse. Harder on the road and eased for offroad. It didn't have sway bars so the harder settings on road prevented body roll and bump steer to a degree.
FollowupID: 829728

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 09:28

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 09:28
Hi,

I have used Rancho when I first started 4x4ing expecting then to be the bees knees.

Can you feel a difference when you do all the adjusting and then push up and down on the vehicle with your Saturday afternoon beer in your hand parked in your concrete driveway? (yes).
Can you feel the difference when you are climbing up and down your favourite tracks or towing your van to your favourite spots or even driving down those corrugated roads expecting these shockers to be ironing out all the bumps? (No).

Don't waste your money. If you live in the real world just buy a big set of shockers and understand that corrugations and rough roads have to be negotiated with common sense.

Regards.
AnswerID: 542966

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 10:02

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 10:02
Yeah I currently have adjustables as they were my preferred shock at the time and I must admit I do not fiddle with them
I would not necessarily pay a premium to get an adjustable version next time around
FollowupID: 829757

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 10:30

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 10:30
Frank P thanks for that extra information

I have not decided which way to go but thanks the information is helpful
AnswerID: 542968

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 17:19

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 17:19
Cheers Allein M. Glad to help.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 829787

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 13:03

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 13:03
I've had Tough Dog adjustables for about 1 year now on a GQ twin cab ute. It's great having that bit of extra control over what sort of ride you are after depending on the surface you're driving on and the weight your carrying I find them to be quite comfortable. To my surprise they do help to make the vehicle more stable when you load up for a trip just by tweaking the dial up a few notches. One of the most important things that should not be overlooked is to have the correct springs to support the vehicle and the weight you'll be carrying when "loaded not empty". Don't be like a lot of people who refuse to get heavier springs because they think they will give them a harsh and unbearable ride it won't all they do is ruin their ride and turn their vehicle into an unsafe, unstable vehicle that doesn't handle and sags when loaded. Springs and shocks should work together and if you get the combination wright you'll have a stable vehicle that doesn't lean into the corners when loaded and still have a comfortable ride when empty.
AnswerID: 542982

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 23:03

Sunday, Dec 14, 2014 at 23:03
Also quite a few yrs ago my brother put Koni adjustables on an old short wheel base MK patrol and they made the ride a lot better significantly reducing the jarring and absorbing the bumps like shocks should do. The only thing with Koni shocks is that it was a bit of a task to adjust them so when you found the setting you liked you left it there maybe they have changed these days to make it easier but I'm not sure. I would recommend giving adjustables a go just get the right one's to suit your vehicle.
FollowupID: 829800

Reply By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 18:40

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 18:40
I put ajustables on the Patrol and the ride was good.Ajusted them before and after the Gunnbarrel,Tanimi and half the Canning,have since run on tar.I have Tough Dog and have replaced 2,one back one front.That brand wont ever go on again.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 543061

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 23:59

Tuesday, Dec 16, 2014 at 23:59
Grundle

A lot of factors could have caused your shocks to fail rather than the just poor product quality:

Did you do spring upgrade as well?
What sort of weight loads did you put onto the springs?
Did you lower tyre pressures suitable to terrain?
What length of time were you running them for before taking a break?
How long did you give them to cool down?
Did you take breaks to let them cool down?
What speeds were you doing on corrugated roads?
We're you towing?
What sort of weights were you towing?
What was the ball weight?

I am sure you have considered all of these things. What sort of response did you get from Tough Dog - they are usually pretty good with warranty claims?

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 829909

Reply By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 18:11

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 18:11
Hi ACD1, Yes had 30 mm lift done as well,tyres deflated to correct pressures,very small load,only 2 people,not towing,rested enough,One replaced under warrenty.Still will never use again.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 543091

Sponsored Links