Comment: Shining Poverty Bush

A Field Guide to the Eremophilas of Western Australia by Andrew Brown and Bevan Buirchell has the following description:
Derivation of name: lucida (shining), refers to the glossy, shiny leaves.
Flowering: August–October.
Description: A short-lived species 1 to 3.5 m high with large, glossy, viscid leaves 54 to 85 mm long by 7.5 to 15
mm wide, large sepals 8.5 to 15 mm long by 3.5 to 8 mm wide and a cream, yellow, mauve or rarely pink corolla 25
to 35 mm long.
Distribution & habitat: Found in clay loam and sandy clay, adjacent to samphire flats and breakaways between
Norseman and Hyden.
Notes: A rare species named by Bob Chinnock in 2007 from specimens he collected east of Lake Cronin. It is currently
known from just two disjunct locations, in both areas appearing following fire or soil disturbance. Interestingly, in one area the flowers are predominantly cream while in the other they are predominantly mauve.
Based on that it would seem that your mauve flowered plant is correctly identified.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 19:10

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 19:10
Phew! Not as silly as I thought then

So that is two slightly not common-ish flowers we spotted in the one trip.
[This mauve Poverty and the Wells Dampiera near Lake Grace]

I'm starting to enjoy going through all those flower photos now :D
AnswerID: 543528

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 19:15

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 19:15
Well your hooked now!!! keep the enjoyment going.
Well done with that identification too.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 830489

Sponsored Links