Gas regulations & annexes

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 23:17
ThreadID: 110451 Views:2080 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
HI
This may be of interest
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 23:19

Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014 at 23:19
Hi
Stuffed it again #***keyboard
Here is the link

http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/gas-appliance-flues-rv-with-annex.htm

PeterQ
AnswerID: 543104

Reply By: Old 55 - Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:19

Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:19
Now that is interesting, and when we bought our 18ft Paramount Duet and ordered the full Annex the dealer never mentioned it and our gas outlet for the fridge is on the near side which would make it illegal to erect our annex I guess.
Mind you I have only used the annex once in 4 years and that was at a powered site so I guess it didn't matter but will bear it in mind when we free camp and I am tempted to put up the annex.

Cheers Rod
AnswerID: 543110

Follow Up By: Member - kev.h - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:43

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:43
You are safe if your fridge is running on electricity AND the gas isolation valve to the fridge is closed may still not be legal but no chance of gas entering the annex
0
FollowupID: 830030

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:44

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:44
It isnt so much the gas. Its the exhaust fumes that kill you.

Gas is not good either
0
FollowupID: 830032

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:05

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:05
HI Kev
They are part of the rules of the LATEST GAS standards , covering use on gas.
The problem is in regard to carbon monoxide poisoning from gas aplliance flames

It is quite legal to use any "approved" electrical appliance in the van with a full annexe, but some limitations on what & how they maybe used in an ANNEXE

PeterQ
0
FollowupID: 830034

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:07

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:07
HI
Perhaps I should also point out it does not just apply to fridges IN the van
It applies to the use of ANY gas appliance in a non complying ANNEXE

PeterQ
0
FollowupID: 830037

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:57

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:57
Quote
"It is quite legal to use any "approved" electrical appliance in the van with a full annexe, but some limitations on what & how they maybe used in an ANNEXE"
????????
An electric only appliance would be outside the scope of the standard wouldnt it and could be used outside the van legally, in or outside an annexe as it wont produce exhaust gasses.

Eg an electric BBQ or fan heater
0
FollowupID: 830039

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 16:02

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 16:02
HI Tom
I was not talking about gas/electric appliances
I was referring any 240V electrical device used external to the caravan .
ie in an annexe
Not so much the appliance, but how it is supplied, THAT is covered by the Standards

PeterQ
0
FollowupID: 830044

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 17:59

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 17:59
Im confused The link you provide only refers to GAS appliances.

No mention of electric.

So how does a GAS regulation affect the use of an electric heater in an annexe.

Not nit picking but as the thread heading and link refer to gas, I am wondering how electric appliances got roped in.

It would make sense not to put an electric heater close to a canvas wall but does this come under this standard
0
FollowupID: 830046

Follow Up By: Member - kev.h - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 18:27

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 18:27
Hi TomH
The regulations state that any gas appliance venting inside the annex is illegal (it does not discriminate between gas and exhaust fumes) for the simple reason an annex full of gas that has escaped through some fault in the appliance or a gas bottle venting has the ability to destroy half the caravan park if ignited
If you read my first post i was pointing out that although not 100% legal a 3 way fridge on 240v with the gas isolated should be fine, that's where the electrical comments started
Kev
1
FollowupID: 830048

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 18:31

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 18:31
HI Tom
Kev bought Electrics into the thread with his reference to use of the fridge on mains power
My comments on electrical use were in reference to that.
Simple realy, like many threads , it side tracked

My point being the use of any Electrical device in an annexe or tent is covered by The ELECTRICAL standards [Which have some specific requirements for use in such locations]

PeterQ
0
FollowupID: 830049

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 13:38

Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 13:38
Is more or less common sense isnt it.

Not to long ago a family died from a faulty gas heater that asphyxiated them in a closed room.

A similar situation could arise here if the annexe is closed up and the fridge is working.

There are those of course who belong to the "doing it for 40 years brigade".

Any sensible person would see the logic behind the rules.

Then there's the "I will turn it off gas at night brigade" Until one night they forget and the kids sleeping in the annexe wake up dead.

You wouldnt work on your car with the engine running in a closed garage so why would you vent a fridge exhaust into a closed annexe
AnswerID: 543113

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:07

Friday, Dec 19, 2014 at 13:07
Very true Tom. And it's just basic science. Light a fire in an enclosed space and see how long it takes to fill it with smoke when you throw some green leaves on it.

But it seems that today's generations, plus some leftovers from previous eras, do not possess any "common sense". Sorry about being cynical but Tom is right. So we have regulations to follow, not the experience and knowledge passed on to us by our peers.

All maybe initiated by the advent of radio, television and the computer. We no longer went into the shed with Dad and learnt from him and Granddad. I wonder where we will be in a few generations. Knowing nothing and relying on search engines! Hmmmm I wonder if we will ever get so bad as to have regulations how to use a carving knife at the dinner table.

I was still a nipper when we had gas and/or coal fireplaces in each bedroom to keep us warm at night. Even with the chimneys of those days, chimneys that worked, we were never allowed to shut the bedroom door. There had to be two "openings". While the openings weren't to outside at least the rest of the house made for a much bigger area to be filled with deadly gases. Each room back then also had vents high up in each outside wall that provided a small amount of ventilation as well.

But the link is handy as a reminder etc. Some who work with sharp knives do tend to get lazy. We can all make mistakes errr that should be "slip ups"!
2
FollowupID: 830036

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 00:16

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 00:16
Your comment reminded me about an article I read today about one of the producers of tablets.
A friend lives in Silicon Valley and confirmed much of the article.


Steve Jobs
1
FollowupID: 830061

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)