Dingo Hill Track via Licola

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 21:28
ThreadID: 110457 Views:3087 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone please give me current conditions of Dingo Hill Track.
We - 2 Nissan patrol utes w/- slideon campers, both experienced high country travellers - are intending to go into the Sisters and Butcher Country area and this track is our best option on the way out.
Thank you in anticipation
Murray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 22:03

Thursday, Dec 18, 2014 at 22:03
I haven't been there for a while but it should be OK. Swaggie will probably know. - Try 4x4earth if he doesn't respond here. Also since you are so close to Kellys Hut and Kellys Lane, go take a look in there. It is a beautiful valley. Shaw creek near Thomastown is a good trout stream, small but good.

AnswerID: 543128

Reply By: River Swaggie - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 12:34

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 12:34
Cheers Boobook....

Dingo Hill is always in fairly good nick, Shaley hard base, although this hill seems to go on and on driving up it...

I think your better going in at Bull Plain Rd and down Black Soil Track.Pine Creek Track has been washed away about 400metres along it as that's where the intersection of the McCalister river and the Caledonia river meet. There must have been a helluva flood there years ago its been like it for a few years now, There is a camp spot there. Drive along McCalister track, the sisters on your right. there's camp areas along the way (watch out for jumping jacks where you set camp). When you get to Butcher Country Track, turn left there are camp areas plus a small shelf where water cascades down it like a waterfall , it's a small walk on the bend of the river, turn right in Butcher Country Track there used to be rocky ledgy areas that you had to drive but they now have graded in bypass tracks to the left side. Drive up to the Caledonia link track, I wouldn't drive any further up Butcher's with the loads you have, drive down the link track (it's generally ok condition wise but on the steepish side) .. Hit the bottom and your at the Caledonia river, there's small camp areas scattered along. Then drive out Dingo Hill....

That's what I suggest anyway, have a great trip.....

Be careful if it's wet, you won't get out of Caledonia or the link track...
AnswerID: 543188

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 15:36

Saturday, Dec 20, 2014 at 15:36
Thank you gentlemen for your valuable information
Murray
FollowupID: 830105

Sponsored Links