Changing the seats in an 11 seater troopie

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1105 Views:2583 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are looking to buy a 6 seater troopcarrier (3 x 3 benchseats). We are seeing plenty that have a 3 or 11 seat configuration.

Does anybody have experience in modifying a 3 seater of 11 seater by adding a second row of bench seats behind the front ones in a 3 seater troopcarrier, or taking out the centre facing seats in an 11 seater and fitting the bench seat behind.?

I have rung a couple of seat fitting places today who assure me it is not a problem, with a cost of about $1000 including fitting for the seat and seatbelts. You apparently get an "ADR" approved stamping" and take the car to the RTA for an inspection....hopefully no dramas or major costs.

Also, one fitter noted that you need to ensure that the front passenger seat can fold forward to give access to the rear seats.

Has anybody any first hand experience of this process??

Thanks
Ross
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ross, the reason you have not seen many of the 6 seaters as they came out as a special 75 series RV with stripes etc. Any of the bus companies will have places that make the bus seats, or go to a conversion place where they convert coaster type buses to campers, they wilkl have seats that already comply available, They are two seats or single and could be fitted to the troopy
Ray
AnswerID: 3443

Reply By: extroopie owner - Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 24, 2002 at 00:00
I had a '93 model Troopcarrier (3 seater) which I had fitted with a
'Take 3' bench seat behind the existing seating. This must be done by an authorised installer to obtain the appropriate Compliance Plate changes. One important requirement was that the front passenger seat could be pushed forward by operating a modified lever accessed by people using the rear seating. There is no lever available on the market so I had to modify my own by reversing the original lever.

The original RV Troopcarrier passenger seat (front) pushes forward and then swings towards the center. I removed my original seat and fitted one of these RV seats and found it a big improvement. At a later date I then fitted 2 custom padded '75 series bucket seats and used the original modified lever protuding from the rear left of the passenger seat. This still allowed adequate space to alight from the vehicle.

I also made a small checker-plate aluminium step using the seat mounting points and the bottom seat-belt mounting bolt (passenger side). This prevented people slipping on the sloped vinyl floor immediately adjacent the rear of the passenger seat.

Something to be aware of is that three seater complianced Troopcarriers can never be fitted with the original side facing seats.

Hope this has been some help.
AnswerID: 4394

Sponsored Links