Thanks Santa

Submitted: Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 13:12
ThreadID: 110518 Views:2181 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Well folks, Santa must have thought I was a good boy this year as there is a new vehicle destined to be in our driveway early next year.

Luckily he didn't tell Darkie (will break the news gently), I am not sure if Darkie will like being sold off to make room for the new one.

We had been looking for a new vehicle for about 6 months and had settled on a new Dual Cab Landcruiser, but the local Dealer could not come to the party for us to have a test drive of one. I did a search on the net and found the dealer in Coffs Harbour had one in stock and as we are down here visiting the "outlaws" for the Festive Season, we jagged a Test Drive on Monday.

Sam was the first to drive as she will be using it as a daily driver, so parking it in tight areas was her main concern. She soon realized that it was very similar to driving Darkie, so was pretty well settled in driving it.

After the test drive we sat down with the sales team and nutted out a price. I already had 2 other quotes so had a fair idea what we were up for in regards to pricing. As it turned out Coffs Harbour Toyota must have wanted the Vehicle off the holding yard this year as they gave us a price that was well below the other quotes I had gotten.

So it looks like I will have another trip back to Coffs harbor in the new year to collect the new Dual Cab. Which is one of the joys of signing the dotted line at this time of year, as I have a custom tray getting built which will not be started till the 2nd week of the new year.
That hasn't stopped the $$ being forked out as I have already purchased/ordered some gear to start fitting it out when we get it.

Through the Dealer we got the following accessories fitted -

ARB Deluxe Winch Bar,
ARB side rails and Steps,
ARB Dual Battery with BCDC charger (with solar function),
Custom Tray (they got a price nearly $1000 cheaper than I was quoted),
Sun Visor,
Bonnet and head light protectors,
Air Conditioning (still can't believe that it isn't standard),
Window tint,
Lightforce 170 spot lights with blue combo lens,
Floor mats,
Dash mat,
Canvas Seat Covers.

Items I have purchased/ordered so far -

GME Uhf and Antenna,
Several fuse boxes,
secondary horn (stebel),
retractable uhf mic keeper,
Reversing camera with second camera for Camper.

Still to come/be ordered -

Clear view Mirrors,
Secondary Fuel Filter (looking at Fuel Manager system),
T shaped Overhead Console,
Floor console,
LED work lights,
Flexible LED reading lights for back passengers and front passenger,
additional 12v outlets,
Snorkel ram head to replace factory one,
Suspension upgrade.

I am sure there is plenty more items to be added but I will work that out as the build takes shape.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:16

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:16
G'day Kev,

That sounds like a VERY NEAT set-up mate....

Your story sounds very much like the path I was looking at going down....up until about 3 weeks ago, when I found the beast I am going to Qld to pick-up on 9/1.

The way I figured it, I was going to do virtually the same things you listed above and it would've ended up costing around $100K to do the job properly.

So, for a bit more outlay, I'm stepping into a somewhat larger rig with almost everything I could want from the wish-list of accessories that swirls around inside my scone most of the time. Hence, the Chev Silverado has been purchased. There are 2 things I will be wanting to do to it once I get it....One is some form of winch to assist raise/lower the 35" spare tyres and the SECOND is some decent air horns like the ones I currently have on my Cruiser.

The only downside that I can see is the parking-at-Woolies one......I will need to take-up 2 car park spaces; one behind the other...hahaha

Anyway, I look forward to reading (and seeing pics) of your build-up as it happens over the coming months.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 543382

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 15:00

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 15:00
Roachie,

Welcome back :)

I looked at the imported dual cabs at Farm Fest (QLD Ag Show) in Toowoomba this year and couldn't come at the expense of them LOL

Sam has always wanted an F250 Dual cab so she will have to do with what the Bank Manager allows me to buy hehehe

Lifting those tyres could be easily done by rigging up some rollers on the bull bar, top of windscreen and canopy and using the bull bar mounted winch (similar to how some people do it for loading boats).

I have a good list of mods/accessories to fit, having been following several build threads on LCOOL and also on Facebook, it has greatly assisted in deciding on what accessories and brands to fit.
I am also toying with getting some Dynamat to reduce noise but from some accounts the GXL vehicles carpeted floor have reduced some of the noise when compared to the Workmate variants.

I am also not fully decided if I will install an air compressor hardwired or go the portable.

Once the build starts I will be posting some pics

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830345

Reply By: Member - batsy - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:18

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:18
Good Lord you have been a good boy.
Looks like you have most of the necessary fruit organized.
What does the 'custom tray' consist of ?
I'm sure it will serve you well...have fun
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

AnswerID: 543383

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:48

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:48
Batsy,

The tray is a Boss Engineering steel tray (Inverell NSW) build.

It has an under slung spare, tool bins behind both wheel arches, and sliding drawers above both wheels. Having the sliding drawers there does not impede the spare being underslung, but still allows a low tray height, an issue I have with Darkie.
The tray also has 2 antenna tabs and has mounting provision for work lights to be fitted under the head board roll bar. It also has a rear removable roll bar which will allow me to carry long lengths if needed and also if I go down the path of getting a canvas canopy.

Having being toying with buying one for about 6 months has allowed me to consider most tray configurations and I think (hope) I have made the best use of tray configuration chosen.

Looking forward to seeing it take shape and getting some miles under it's belt as well.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830343

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:51

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 14:51

This is the style of tray from side on, the tool bins underslung have been requested to be moved forward, and not to extend beyond the end of the chassis (so as not to impede departure angle). They will also have to cut in around the fuel filler on the drivers side tool bins as well.

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830344

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:35

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:35
Congrats Kev,

Maybe I should take the tent in July & you can see how it goes with the "Coota" on Nappanerica on the way home! LOL.

Sam'll be a bit flash in the staff car park.

Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 543396

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:38

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:38
Mike,

I have already suggested the girls fly home so I can take my time coming home hehehe

Are you keen for a couple of weekends away to break it in? or have you gotten lucky and going OS for Anzac day?

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830349

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:53

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:53
Kev,
All booked for Anzac Day plus a couple of weeks tour through Turkey.

Will still be doing the Ross River trip etc. Have only planned on getting there at this stage will work on the return trip later.

Will always look at a short trip to help break the Newby in.

Mike.
FollowupID: 830350

Reply By: barry F (N - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:27

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:27
Mmmmm!! What a wonderful state is NSW, land of the mighty Blues. The state that has provided you the best deal! The state that has the capacity to provide you with all the extras at the best price & hey what a great list of creature comforts!! Please don't import any Cane Toads to our superior state whilst taking delivery of your much loved Darkies replacement. Best wishes to you & Sam & Family on you latest purchase & safe travelling in your new beast. Best wishes Barry & Leigh.
AnswerID: 543397

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:43

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:43
Barry,

My long lost cockroach supporter, had been expecting you to show up about 6 months ago ;)

All dealers are out to make a $$ but sometimes they offer a deal that even you wouldn't knock back. It was just a shame they didn't have one in the sensational Merlot colour in Stock.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830351

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:58

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 19:58
Good onya Kev,
I promise I wont park the old "60" too close to the Newby at Ross River, I wouldn`t want to distract the crowd. LOL

Happy New Year to Yourself, Sam and the Girls.

Scrubby
AnswerID: 543398

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 09:01

Saturday, Dec 27, 2014 at 09:01
Scrubby,

They will both look like they are from the same era though, nice square body lines etc :)

Hope you and Strawb have had a good Christmas and make sure Strawb stays off the jungle juice for New Years Eve hehehe

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 830361

Sponsored Links