Toyota Troopy Bushcamper Fridge Electrical Problem

Submitted: Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 13:35
ThreadID: 110521 Views:1733 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a Bushcamper owner out there who can advise me on an electrical problem?
I'm new to the vehicle, My vehicle has the dual batteries, and provides battery or mains operation of the fridge. However, I'm unable to operate the fridge or striplights on battery power. Is there an isolation switch or fuse that needs resetting? The batteries having recently been replaced.
Many Thanks

98, 75 Series Hitop Bushcamper
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gnomey - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 17:08

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 17:08
G'day Steve
None of the guys with electrical expertise have jumped in yet but as the owner of 2002 (ex hitop) bushcamper here's the best I can offer.

1. Mine has a circuit breaker in the line from the aux battery to the fridge/lights inside. It's on the ridge at the top of the firewall. I'd check for similar and test on both sides for voltage with a multimeter or just a test light will do it at a pinch.

2. On the inside, under where my fridge is mounted, is a cupboard and the door of it opens to floor level. Inside are the electrical connections for 12v and from memory a fuse. Second place I would look. Of course if it is the fuse there is always the question of why it blew.

3. Behind my fridge, and you have to remove the fridge to find this, is the 12v earth which consists of a terminal under a bolt to the body - vaguely recall it also holds down a metal bracket. (Not ideal. Complete earth return would be better.) Twice I have found the bolt loose so the second time I added a lock washer. No earth = no 12v power. Third thing I would look at.

3. Since you say you are unable to operate on battery power I have assumed you have joy with mains power. If none of the above work I would be testing for continuity (or getting an auto sparky to do it) from the aux battery all the way to the fridge and lights.

No guarantee our vehicles are wired the same but there won't be radical differences I suspect.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 543390

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 17:29

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 17:29
Steve,

If you have new batteries, and you didn't fit them yourself, then I'd be starting at that point, then working up to the suggestions given by Gnomey.

There may be a wire/s that weren't reconnected when the new auxiliary battery was fitted. Were the fridge/lights working before the new batteries were installed?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543391

Reply By: Member - Faydaway - Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:10

Friday, Dec 26, 2014 at 18:10
Hi Steve

That model Bushcamper had the engel that you could only plugin the 240v or the 12v plug at the one time. The 12v cord was plugged into the socket on the wall behind the fridge. This wire ran under the door sill to the footwell beside the accellerator pedal to the fuse box

Check 12v cord is plugged into fridge
Check cord is plugged into wall. The cord may also contain a fuse in the plug top
Check fuse is ok and check fuse in footwell

Send a reply if you want further info

Faydaway
Fay'd away from the crowd

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543395

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 14:21

Sunday, Dec 28, 2014 at 14:21
mate.. your going to have to do your own investigation.
ive got a troopy camper and initially had issues with the fridge and lights.
The fridge had the fuse blown thats actually at the back of the engal. and the lights had a master switch that I looked at for ages wondering what it did.
its all 3rd party set up let alone what previous owners might have done....
AnswerID: 543455

Sponsored Links